Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving money in an ISA to Australia - Tax?

Moving money in an ISA to Australia - Tax?

Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:10 am
Just Joined

ElijaWooden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving money in an ISA to Australia - Tax?

Hey guys,

I was really hoping you could help me out. I'm thinking of buying a house in Australia but to do so will need to sell my ISA in the UK.

I've been looking at using a service such as HIFX to transfer the money over. The question is will the lump sum be taxed in Australia or do I need to do any additional paperwork here. HIFX themselves didn't think so but thought I'd check.

Since the ISA is tax free in the UK and I haven't drawn from it since I arrived in Australia over 8 years ago I haven't declared it in Australia yet.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving money in an ISA to Australia - Tax?

I'm sorry to inform you that ISA are not tax free in Oz and the growth of the ISA in each fiancicial year is considered income which you should have added to your tax return each year.
Transfer it and hope the Tax office don't audit you and then claim ignorance or fess up to the taxman your call.
You won't be the first to get caught out by this and you certainly won't be the last.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I'm sorry to inform you that ISA are not tax free in Oz and the growth of the ISA in each fiancicial year is considered income which you should have added to your tax return each year.
Transfer it and hope the Tax office don't audit you and then claim ignorance or fess up to the taxman your call.
You won't be the first to get caught out by this and you certainly won't be the last.
Dont transactions above $10K get notified to ATO anyway?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Dont transactions above $10K get notified to ATO anyway?
They're reported to AUSTRAC who may or may not notify ATO and any other agency/department.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the great advice guys really appreciate it.

It's a large sum of money ($100k plus), so should I just move it and see what happens? Or do you think as it's a large sum it will be flagged so I should pre-empt with tax man. These things are so complicated, had no idea that Taxfree in the UK meant taxed here!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the exchange rate - your gains must be converted to A$. It may not be too much.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks again all, I think I need some professional adviceso I can run through the options you guys have provided. Anyone know a good consultant in Sydney I could talk to? (financial, tax understand international component)
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Try Go Matilda - we got excellent advice and very efficient service on resolving UK/Australian tax issues. Main office is in Melbourne (and Southampton); I don't think they need to be Sydney based to email and phone them unless you want to talk face to face.

http://www.gomatilda.com/home.cfm (see Contact)