Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It takes me 30 - 40 mins to drive to/from the CBD in the morning and evening and I live 25kms out. Most of the way I am doing the maximum speed limit.

The traffic here is a piece of piss compared with London.

BB
Agreed - I live 45k out, and can do door to door (past the city) in 50mins, best, 60mins on a bad day. I would not even venture into London in a car from the home counties for work - Ever, in any time window.

The trams and trains are crowded at rush hour, they would be. But the station concourses are absolutely navigable.

It's all relative.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 13th 2013 at 4:29 am.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Yes, in winter, but a very mild one. Seen canberra in minus 5 too, sun and wind and rain in one day in melb seemed normal to me, I love that variety.

The fog outside of canberra was the best bit, weather really adds to a the scenery, one minute sun, then early morning fog drifting over the hills and farms.

I guess anywhere has bad rush hour traffic, but obviously canberras roads seem so easy compared to melbournes monday lunchtime madness.
Yes, we get a lot of sun, and fog/mist out here in Melbourne's villages.
Can be beautiful. It's beautiful today.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It takes me 30 - 40 mins to drive to/from the CBD in the morning and evening and I live 25kms out. Most of the way I am doing the maximum speed limit.

The traffic here is a piece of piss compared with London.

BB
If I remember you start early right? In the office by 7am type of thing? Leave at 3pm something?

I don't find the traffic bad but the times you quote wouldn't apply in peak obviously.

I'm settling into what's going to be a long stint of St Kilda - Mitcham every day...about 25k I think...and against the general flow of the traffic it's about 45-50 minutes.

Recently I had to work in Preston and in 40 minutes I still hadn't crossed the river heading north from St Kilda! Generally took about an hour (20kms).

I find Melbourne less prone to bottlenecks and hold ups than Brisbane was (at the time I lived there)...now there's a city with big city problems and none of the advantages!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Originally Posted by bcworld
If I remember you start early right? In the office by 7am type of thing? Leave at 3pm something?....... the times you quote wouldn't apply in peak obviously.
Currently in at 8 and leave 4. When I was working on the NBN account I was leaving at 5 and it didn't seem to make much difference, which surprised me.

The Nepean highway is pretty quick on the way out.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Currently in at 8 and leave 4. When I was working on the NBN account I was leaving at 5 and it didn't seem to make much difference, which surprised me.

The Nepean highway is pretty quick on the way out.

BB
It's interesting though because I would have thought a lot of bay people would be doing the same.

I think you are lucky in that you get to shoot through a few choke points on your way out from CBD S - (you're the right side of the CBD of course) - then shoot along that little arterial which people seem to forget about it.

I have done B's commute with him, and it's pretty quick.

I know people who take so long getting to St Kilda - that I am on a train outside Dandenong by then. The tyranny of my distance is not so great.