Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Originally Posted by FloralJane
Hello- I don't know how to start a thread(!) so am jumping on this one, hoping it's still active! I've posted before and had excellent advice from people on here re moving to inner melbourne with kids (4 and 6).
I'm intersted in inner suburbs incl. yarraville, footscray, coburg and clifton hill- tho think the latter expensive.
but end of day i suppose it comes down to high schools (i know my kids are young, but..) so my question is- what are they like? esp say in coburg, also like sound of fitzroy high- it's state schools that i'm interested in. also when is oldest child in class birthday- does the year for them begin early feb therefore january birthday kids the youngest? i ask cos son has august birthday and is a little fella to start with (youngest in his class in uk) so i like the idea he won't be the youngest in aus school. conversely daughter birthday nov 30th so would she be among youngest in year? a move to melbourne doesn't hinge on this but i am curious!
Hi, in Melbourne the cut off for school ages is April, so for kids who started this year, the youngest starting in February would have had their birthday at the end of March. My LO has a birthday at the end of February so he is one of the youngest in his year. On the other hand daughter has her birthday in November so she is kind of in the middle age-wise. Hope that helps.

I don't know anything about Fitzroy High (although I do know the suburb), but i know that most of the Coburg primaries are well thought-of. Have you checked www.bettereducation.com.au or www.myschool.edu.au? They will give you some stats on the schools, although I think you really need to visit to get a feel for the area and the school before deciding.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

FloralJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you kiwikaye that really helps and is very good news for my son- i think he'd benefit hugely from having younger kids in the year! (my second child could be the youngest and it wouldn't bother her!) i will check out those websites- and totally agree with you: def best to visit an area/school before making any big decisions!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would jump in here to offer my perspective.
I literally just moved to Melbourne in the last few weeks and it wasnt what I was expecting at all. To me it doesnt feel like an australian city in the same way Perth is. Perth to me is what I imagined aussie citys looking like.
Melbourne is like a cross between london and new york, if you like either of those you will like melb.
There is a lot of people here, a hell of a lot. This means being crammed in on trams every morning and evening to commute home if you work in the city. Most jobs seem to be city based, or city fringe so far as I have seen. Picture being in london and cramming into a subway car, its similar here.

The beach pictures posted earlier look nice, but chances are you wont be living near the beach. You will instead be commuting in and standing in line at the supermarkets and food courts like everyone else.

There are of course upsides to all these people. Theres is lots to see and do here so you wont get bored, lots of shows and tiny shops to explore which can be great fun. But the reason theres so much going on is just due to the sheer amount of people.
The weather since I arrived has been rubbish but it is winter, its rained almost everyday and is dark and cloudy again now.
In short if you like london/new york you will like melb, if you dont, then stay away
Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
The weather since I arrived has been rubbish but it is winter
LOL...that 'rubbish' weather was our warmest July on record!

So far August has been more of a taster of what winter is normally like.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

FloralJane is an unknown quantity at this point

firstly, apologies to Nomad for hijacking your thread- i need to become forum-literate enough to start my own!
Thanks Dave and bcworld for your input- it's definitely good to get a variety of perspectives and, if nothing else, i'm prepared for poor weather in melbourne so any sunshine will be a bonus! i am a bit of a city girl in all honesty so reckon melb could do nicely!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne (Yay or Nay)

Originally Posted by FloralJane
i'm prepared for poor weather in melbourne so any sunshine will be a bonus!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Melbourne is considerably sunnier than a lot of people make out.

BB
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Melbourne is considerably sunnier than a lot of people make out.

BB
Actually, its true!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Actually, its true!
Duh! Everything I say is true.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would jump in here to offer my perspective.
I literally just moved to Melbourne in the last few weeks and it wasnt what I was expecting at all. To me it doesnt feel like an australian city in the same way Perth is. Perth to me is what I imagined aussie citys looking like.
Melbourne is like a cross between london and new york, if you like either of those you will like melb.
There is a lot of people here, a hell of a lot. This means being crammed in on trams every morning and evening to commute home if you work in the city. Most jobs seem to be city based, or city fringe so far as I have seen. Picture being in london and cramming into a subway car, its similar here.

The beach pictures posted earlier look nice, but chances are you wont be living near the beach. You will instead be commuting in and standing in line at the supermarkets and food courts like everyone else.

There are of course upsides to all these people. Theres is lots to see and do here so you wont get bored, lots of shows and tiny shops to explore which can be great fun. But the reason theres so much going on is just due to the sheer amount of people.
The weather since I arrived has been rubbish but it is winter, its rained almost everyday and is dark and cloudy again now.
In short if you like london/new york you will like melb, if you dont, then stay away

Just got back from melb, probably the 20th time, and I have to say it does seem very congested, people and traffic. Worst I have ever noticed, partner from melb even commented on it.

Weather was varied, sunny afternoon, but the morning chucked down some very windy rain that had small hail in it so it felt like sleet. It was 10 - 15ish at the time but felt much much colder.

We had just take a relocation campervan back out past footscray way, Tottenham station, loaded with bags and the sleet but hells bells there are some very grotty suburbs out that way Awful and that is the most graffiti I have seen anywhere.

Cant say I have ever thought melb like New york but some parts of manchester/london when the weather is grey.

We had visited relatives in Canberra, and I was quite impressed with what was on. The sunny clear days, easy driving and lack of traffic. Its overlooked by migrants but it has to be one of OZ's better cities.

Also went to Gundagai at lunch at the RSL, really funny, the chook raffles, which all seemed to be won by relatives of the announcer, just when you think everyone is related, you order lunch and non english speaking chinese chefs are running the food counter and everyones tucking into sweet and sour pork. If anyone ever goes there, the museum is one of the best ever!!, totally full of stuff from the pioneers settlers and gold prospectors etc, most of it 1800's or early 1900's $3 to get in. History is hard to find in OZ but that place is bloody amazing, and credit to the old boys who volunteer to run it.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very interesting viewpoint, one that I also have to some degree.

I lived in Melbourne from 1996 to 2001, back then it felt like a big Australian city was not particularly overcrowded, property prices were reasonable and the large mass of immigration was only really just starting. Infrastructure was pretty good and overall it was an extremely pleasant place to live. Easy to see why it came tops in liveability surveys.

Fast forward to 2009, when I came back, and I think most things in Melbourne have changed for the worse. Basically an extra 1,000,000 people since the mid 90's with little change in infrastructure. Melbourne was always very multicultural - Greeks, Italians, Chinese, Vietnamese etc, so I don't necessarily think the population growth has benefitted in that regard. So if you can live in one of the nice villagey type places within 10km of the city, then it can still be a good lifestyle, but otherwise I don't get why people still think it's such a great place. I certainly regret not buying the 3 bedroom house in South Yarra (yes, a detached house) for $350,000 back in 1999 that I was renting.

The weather is nowhere near as bad as people say/think, I really like the dryness of the climate here. Not a big fan of humidity (Sydney) or dampness (Auckland)

But just to make it clear to others - Melbourne is not like New York, nowhere near it, despite the sad marketing of some apartment developers (Manhattan style, SoHo style etc) and a far cry from London. I mean when I live in Hove I think Brighton probably had more going on than Melbourne.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just got back from melb, probably the 20th time, and I have to say it does seem very congested, people and traffic. Worst I have ever noticed, partner from melb even commented on it.
Yes, its very congested. Think of London in rush hour, its getting that way.

Weather was varied, sunny afternoon, but the morning chucked down some very windy rain that had small hail in it so it felt like sleet. It was 10 - 15ish at the time but felt much much colder.
Its winter. You should be happy that it was sunny in the afternoon. Try walking around the UK in the middle of winter and complain about how cold it is

We had just take a relocation campervan back out past footscray way, Tottenham station, loaded with bags and the sleet but hells bells there are some very grotty suburbs out that way Awful and that is the most graffiti I have seen anywhere.
Yeah, theres a high proportion of poorer immigrants/asylum seekers out Footscray way. Can be quite a notorious place. On the flip side, if you like South East Asian food, the markets there are fantastic, its not called Little Saigon for nothing!
[/quote]

Cant say I have ever thought melb like New york but some parts of manchester/london when the weather is grey.
Its nothing like New York. London, maybe, with some of its run-down bits. Melbourne is a lot smaller than both places, you can walk through the CBD in less than an hour

We had visited relatives in Canberra, and I was quite impressed with what was on. The sunny clear days, easy driving and lack of traffic. Its overlooked by migrants but it has to be one of OZ's better cities.
Was it winter in Canberra when you went? I think you'd be complaining at the 'below freezing' temperatures that it gets to.

The lack of traffic? Dont go during rush hour then, it was bedlam when we did.

Also went to Gundagai at lunch at the RSL, really funny, the chook raffles, which all seemed to be won by relatives of the announcer, just when you think everyone is related, you order lunch and non english speaking chinese chefs are running the food counter and everyones tucking into sweet and sour pork. If anyone ever goes there, the museum is one of the best ever!!, totally full of stuff from the pioneers settlers and gold prospectors etc, most of it 1800's or early 1900's $3 to get in. History is hard to find in OZ but that place is bloody amazing, and credit to the old boys who volunteer to run it.
A lot of the country towns are very oldy-worldy. Meat raffles, community notice boards, church hall events. To be honest, I love it. We've just moved to Gisborne, out past the northern suburbs of Melbourne. The pace of life is slower, but it feels safer and the people are a lot more friendly. Things are cheaper too, though not much.

Personally, suburbs make me want to scream. Melbourne is a nice enough place, but if you have to live in the suburbs, well, the public transport can be a bit of a nightmare and travelling by car too.

Oh, and if you've never lived in a house with no mains water or gas, it makes for fun and exciting times!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie
Its nothing like New York. London, maybe, with some of its run-down bits. Melbourne is a lot smaller than both places, you can walk through the CBD in less than an hour
An hour? 10 minutes more like.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Been there - funny old town.
As for the rain, yes, I got caught in a shower when I left for a run at lunch. We have had a bit of rain especially last week but we've had a sunny and perhaps dry winter overall. The problem is - people will take their one day of a visit and not take into account what the locals have experienced for months.

Originally Posted by sr71
That's a very interesting viewpoint, one that I also have to some degree.

I lived in Melbourne from 1996 to 2001, back then it felt like a big Australian city was not particularly overcrowded, property prices were reasonable and the large mass of immigration was only really just starting. Infrastructure was pretty good and overall it was an extremely pleasant place to live. Easy to see why it came tops in liveability surveys.

Fast forward to 2009, when I came back, and I think most things in Melbourne have changed for the worse. Basically an extra 1,000,000 people since the mid 90's with little change in infrastructure. Melbourne was always very multicultural - Greeks, Italians, Chinese, Vietnamese etc, so I don't necessarily think the population growth has benefitted in that regard. So if you can live in one of the nice villagey type places within 10km of the city, then it can still be a good lifestyle, but otherwise I don't get why people still think it's such a great place. I certainly regret not buying the 3 bedroom house in South Yarra (yes, a detached house) for $350,000 back in 1999 that I was renting.

The weather is nowhere near as bad as people say/think, I really like the dryness of the climate here. Not a big fan of humidity (Sydney) or dampness (Auckland)

But just to make it clear to others - Melbourne is not like New York, nowhere near it, despite the sad marketing of some apartment developers (Manhattan style, SoHo style etc) and a far cry from London. I mean when I live in Hove I think Brighton probably had more going on than Melbourne.
What is interesting about all these city debates is that Melbourne variously tends to get comparisons depending on what point a poster might want to make.

So no, it's not a world city - like London or New York - (and people will underline this point) but then people say it's congested.

The reality is that it is Australia's 2nd biggest city - and that it has a rush hour. It is nowhere near as big a city as some world cities - it just has huge suburbs: but it is bigger or as big as most UK cities bar London.

I'd say it does feel less like Australia - to a tourist - or a new arrival - when it is raining. Live here and yes, it's Australia.

I don't find it that congested, because I am from London - I still have yet to get caught in a manic crowd that could bouy me from gate to gate - like a cork in a rough sea even in rush hour, it's still not quite so manic.

I find there is enough to do - but then I am not a 'live' event sort of person - I would rather go to my own clubs and trusted venues that I know and frequent with my people.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
and that it has a rush hour. ...........
I don't find it that congested, because I am from London
It takes me 30 - 40 mins to drive to/from the CBD in the morning and evening and I live 25kms out. Most of the way I am doing the maximum speed limit.

The traffic here is a piece of piss compared with London.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE
[/quote]

Was it winter in Canberra when you went?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, in winter, but a very mild one. Seen canberra in minus 5 too, sun and wind and rain in one day in melb seemed normal to me, I love that variety.

The fog outside of canberra was the best bit, weather really adds to a the scenery, one minute sun, then early morning fog drifting over the hills and farms.

I guess anywhere has bad rush hour traffic, but obviously canberras roads seem so easy compared to melbournes monday lunchtime madness.

Agree totally nothing at all like New York, you would feel very let down if arriving expecting melb to be new york LOL.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 13th 2013 at 4:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.