Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne - Help !!

Moving to Melbourne - Help !!

Old May 14th 2007, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

kriskrock will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to Melbourne - Help !!

Hi, we are moving to Melbourne at the end of August - we are originally from Londaon, UK - but have been living in New York & Washington DC for past 7 years.
We are seekig advice on places to live close to good government schools. We have 3 girls - ages 15, 11, 10.

We want to be no more than 45 min commute to City - cannot have him spending all day traveling - Bayside area recommended

Your help greatly appreciated !!!

Kris & Elle

PS any other info regards relaocation, settling etc greatly appreciated.
Old May 14th 2007, 7:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne - Help !!

Hi Kris and Elle

Sorry, can't help you with schools, but wanted to say welcome, we are leaving the UK for Melbourne in 2 weeks.

May I suggest you do a forum search for Melbourne - you'll find masses of info.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 14th 2007, 7:42 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kriskrock
Hi, we are moving to Melbourne at the end of August - we are originally from Londaon, UK - but have been living in New York & Washington DC for past 7 years.
We are seekig advice on places to live close to good government schools. We have 3 girls - ages 15, 11, 10.

We want to be no more than 45 min commute to City - cannot have him spending all day traveling - Bayside area recommended

Your help greatly appreciated !!!

Kris & Elle

PS any other info regards relaocation, settling etc greatly appreciated.
Hiya. We're off to Melbourne too at the end of the year.
The Melbourne lot on here are great and I'm sure will be on to help you out in a couple of hours.
Also you could try Britvics which is specifically for people going to Melbourne/Victoria.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:15 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to the forum. I totally agree with waht Buzzy and kapri have said. We're off to Melbourne ourselves at the end of July.

Gill
Old May 14th 2007, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

kriskrock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by herrchook
Hi, welcome to the forum. I totally agree with waht Buzzy and kapri have said. We're off to Melbourne ourselves at the end of July.

Gill

Wow Blown away by the number of persons moving to Melbourne - i have just returned from spending 3 months in Melbourne and it was too good an opportunity to miss not to give it a go.

Will keep our home in UK and DC for now..... who knows - we might not like it ?

cheers K&E
Old May 15th 2007, 7:03 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hi haven't been on here for ages. We have been living in Sydney now since Jan last year and we are quite happy with where we live (Glenwood in the Hills district) but we are been given the opportunity to move to Melbourne with my hubby's job the office is based in Port Melbourne so we have been looking in and around Point cook as it wouldn't be to much of a commute. One thing i wanted to know was is what age do they start school in Victoria i was looking at a website which said they can start prep at 4yrs now is this just independent schools or public schools too as i was looking into putting Thomas into a prep school here in Sydney as he is desperate to learn and daycare is not enough for him. Also can anyone shed any light other areas for me to look at within a decent commute to Port Melbourne we would like either a 3 or 4 bed for no more than $360 a week which is what we are paying now obviously less is better but i would like to be nearer to the coast than we are now as we are about an hour away from the beach.

cheers
poshrice