Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Old May 5th 2010, 10:27 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Margate, Brisbane

Originally Posted by pproehann
But that's cause they have a nice free lagoon not far behind the Southbank.
The one in Redcliffe is also free
Old May 5th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
That bridge is getting worse in the mornings. We leave at 7am and it's getting further back each morning! I reckon they've changed the sequence of the lights on the far side, and then when the new bridge opens they'll change them back to normal and say "look how great the traffic is now!!" Grrr

Only drawback about living here is that bloody bridge to catch the train - and the train times in the morning from Sandgate - one at 7.25am, next one at 7.51 - I mean, c'mon, what's the bleedin' story man?!
Old May 5th 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 171967
We are moving to the Margate/Redcliffe area in July of this year and wondered if anyone had any comments with regard to the area and tips to make the move easier (I can live in hope!) My 8 year old will be starting school as soon as we arrive and I will be looking for work as a Kindergarten Teacher/Childcare coordinator. Many thanks
My advice would be not to move to that area. Its not the best traffic is bad and alot of socio/economic hassle. Schools in the dont know much about but remember that ozzies with a bit of cash go private. Try North Lakes, Murrumba Downs and Mango Hill. You dont want to have to drive to far to main roads ie Bruce or any major motorway. If you are lookin to buy straight away ( be mad oz house prices crash rumour) then you cant go wrong buy a crap house 15km from cbd any direction and you will be laughing in 15 years.
Old May 5th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

That's what I meant it's a nice lagoon in Redcliffe and nearly as good as Southbank and free.
Old May 5th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
That's what I meant it's a nice lagoon in Redcliffe and nearly as good as Southbank and free.
whaddya mean you have to pay?

shears
Old May 5th 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mark wool
My advice would be not to move to that area. Its not the best traffic is bad and alot of socio/economic hassle.
Been living here over 2 years and never a sniff of any 'socio/economic hassle'.

Traffic - yep but only in the mornings True actually, the trip home is always fine.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice

Originally Posted by Carl England
Hello
I am moving to Redcliffe two weeks today, I am going out first to find a rental and stuff like that job, car etc then my wife and kids are coming out on June 8th.
Will have to keep in contact
Regards
Carl
Just to update you all I leave on Tuesday and arrive in redcliife on thursday yipee cant wait see you all soon
Old May 5th 2010, 8:37 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shears
Been living here over 2 years and never a sniff of any 'socio/economic hassle'.

Traffic - yep but only in the mornings True actually, the trip home is always fine.
Yes, I'm not sure what he was on about there either. If he is talking about D-Bay then it is just as close to North Lakes and Mango Hill as it is to Redcliffe.
Old May 6th 2010, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Have a look at this, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...ts/QLD/Margate it may help you get a better idea of the area.l

Bob
Old May 6th 2010, 2:18 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

My advice would be not to move to that area. Its not the best traffic is bad and alot of socio/economic hassle. Schools in the dont know much about but remember that ozzies with a bit of cash go private. Try North Lakes, Murrumba Downs and Mango Hill. You dont want to have to drive to far to main roads ie Bruce or any major motorway. If you are lookin to buy straight away ( be mad oz house prices crash rumour) then you cant go wrong buy a crap house 15km from cbd any direction and you will be laughing in 15 years.
My advice would be to ignore this advice as it is highly misleading. For example the poster talks about bad traffic in Redcliffe. You will get bad traffic in most areas during rush hour. A work colleague takes 25 minutes to leave North Lakes in the morning.

Socio / economic hassle?? like what?

It is horses for courses. Suggest you evaluate the area in terms of what you want and then make up your own mind.
Old May 6th 2010, 3:30 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
My advice would be to ignore this advice as it is highly misleading. For example the poster talks about bad traffic in Redcliffe. You will get bad traffic in most areas during rush hour. A work colleague takes 25 minutes to leave North Lakes in the morning.

Socio / economic hassle?? like what?

It is horses for courses. Suggest you evaluate the area in terms of what you want and then make up your own mind.
agreed
Old May 6th 2010, 5:52 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

How long before they put a toll on that bridge

The bridge should be open before that. They recently announced they are about 4 months ahead of schedule. The new one will be open in May, but they are closing the old one for maintenance for a few months but they expect to have both up before the end of Nov at the moment. Either way, I really don't think it will change much. I've lived here for 6 years now and the bridge has rarely been the problem. The Gateway and lack of train link are the main problems if you are travelling into Brisbane (which I do daily).

The 20m refurb of the seafront is a bit of a controversial one locally. They did something similar a few years ago on the Margate high street and it has had zero positive impact on the area. Personally I think much more could be done with the seafront, for starters by closing down the pawn shops and Crazy Clark's and leasing the buildings to restaurants that already do really well on that front.
Old May 6th 2010, 5:55 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

North Lakes over Redcliffe/ Margate

Old May 6th 2010, 5:57 am

They are going to duplicate the line from sandgate to shorncliffe so I assume that will mean more trains in the morning.

Originally Posted by shears
Only drawback about living here is that bloody bridge to catch the train - and the train times in the morning from Sandgate - one at 7.25am, next one at 7.51 - I mean, c'mon, what's the bleedin' story man?!
Old May 6th 2010, 6:14 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by themerlin
North Lakes over Redcliffe/ Margate
Why live on the water with Moreton Island as a backdrop when you can have a 6 lane congested highway as your backyard? Yep, I can certainly see the wise investment opportunity there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.