Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Inner West to Northern Beaches - Removalists

Moving from Inner West to Northern Beaches - Removalists

Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough
Default Moving from Inner West to Northern Beaches - Removalists

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced company to help move from the Inner West to the Northern Beaches? Some prices are shocking, looking at $2,000.00.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:46 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Inner West to Northern Beaches - Removalists

Originally Posted by Molko1974
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced company to help move from the Inner West to the Northern Beaches? Some prices are shocking, looking at $2,000.00.
This isn't what you want to hear, but it may help in a small way. My (aussie) wife was staggered to learn that I was bringing all my belongings from England. She couldn't believe that it would be affordable. Turns out it was cheaper than a move within Australia. Quite why it is so expensive, I have no idea. But it will be. Perhaps it explains why you see so many utes with pianos and wardrobes on top round here.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jun 28th 2010 at 7:52 am.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:50 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Try mini-movers...........mm

http://www.minimovers.com.au/

Last edited by mr mover; Jun 28th 2010 at 6:54 pm. Reason: add link
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:52 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Try mini-movers...........mm

http://www.minimovers.com.au/
I like the look of that site, did a quick quote from Drummoyne to Seaforth, 2 bed house, and it works out at roughly $44.75 per very 15 mins plus $99 call out fee. Based on the OP's $2000 that means all has to be put on the truck, moved and then put in new home within roughly 5 hours.
My suggestion? Make friends with a removalist!! I did and it cost me $400 cash for a saturday morning move!!! No questions asked!!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
This isn't what you want to hear, but it may help in a small way. My (aussie) wife was staggered to learn that I was bringing all my belongings from England. She couldn't believe that it would be affordable. Turns out it was cheaper than a move within Australia. Quite why it is so expensive, I have no idea. But it will be. Perhaps it explains why you see so many utes with pianos and wardrobes on top round here.

It's shocking how much they are charging. We could have a new 3D television for the price I have been quoted.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
I like the look of that site, did a quick quote from Drummoyne to Seaforth, 2 bed house, and it works out at roughly $44.75 per very 15 mins plus $99 call out fee. Based on the OP's $2000 that means all has to be put on the truck, moved and then put in new home within roughly 5 hours.
My suggestion? Make friends with a removalist!! I did and it cost me $400 cash for a saturday morning move!!! No questions asked!!

Wow
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:35 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow
er...is that a good wow or a ***** me wow????
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

er...is that a good wow or a ***** me wow????

a ************** ************* ********** wow
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

a ************** ************* ********** wow
I do know there is a removalist in Manly who charges $150 per hour, not the most swish of companies but it would do the job.
Actually, just rechecked my math, double my original figure. You said $2000 didn't you?? In which case Micro Movers would be about 10 hrs use. Its nearly $200 per hour.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Well it really depends on what you want to pay , and how much respect you have for your furniture , we can all do shit jobs , but perfection comes at a price.........
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We've just done a move from the Lower North Shore to the Inner West. I was planning to do a review because there was nothing when I looked, so here it is

We got 3 quotes for a full service move - Kent, because they were the local agents for UTS that unpacked our container 2 years ago; Grace, because I've heard only good things about them and a colleague moved with them for the third time just recently; Ezymove, because another colleague recommended them.

Grace and Kent were much of a muchness on price although Kent seem to charge extras here and there, the quote was not very clear. The guy from Grace was very personable and informative, although quoted for the wrong days. Kent on the other hand - well we had to chase them, they weren't good at arranging times, and I really didn't warm to the guy. I know he doesn't do the packing but it all added up to me not wanting to use them. So Grace were favourite out of those two.

Ezymove came in $500 cheaper with everything all in, same quote whether we moved 7 doors of 2.4m high wardrobes or not, the only extra being $300 if we needed them dismantling.

I was wary of using somebody I'd never heard of, purely on price, and their website is currently very basic but the guy that came to quote knew his stuff, asked all the right questions and made all the right noises. He visited the complex on his way back from coming to quote and asked the caretaker about access, found out it's on a clearway (something we hadn't considered - duh) and generally made us feel confident in his operation. The woman in the office was just as helpful on insurance matters, and we decided to give them a shot.

So - we initially moved here with a jam-packed 20ft container, added all white goods and those huge wardrobes on top of that, they did everything - pack, move, unpack (although I chose to unpack kitchen goods) and it cost $2500, plus $300 for insuring some specified items (e.g., tibetan cabinet, chinese antiques).

They broke one glass whilst packing (and were very apologetic), used blankets and packed everything as well as when we migrated, managed to get an enormous (and heavy, solid teak) TV cabinet down some very awkward internal stairs when I was sure they wouldn't (2 storey apartment) and were generally fab.

Lovely guys, hard-working (they started 7am and finished 7pm on the 2nd day but that's ok if it's an all-in quote), have all the resources you'd expect of a bigger firm (they ferried stuff from the big truck into our car park by ute), and I'd thoroughly recommend them.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:35 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Seasider
We've just done a move from the Lower North Shore to the Inner West. I was planning to do a review because there was nothing when I looked, so here it is

We got 3 quotes for a full service move - Kent, because they were the local agents for UTS that unpacked our container 2 years ago; Grace, because I've heard only good things about them and a colleague moved with them for the third time just recently; Ezymove, because another colleague recommended them.

Grace and Kent were much of a muchness on price although Kent seem to charge extras here and there, the quote was not very clear. The guy from Grace was very personable and informative, although quoted for the wrong days. Kent on the other hand - well we had to chase them, they weren't good at arranging times, and I really didn't warm to the guy. I know he doesn't do the packing but it all added up to me not wanting to use them. So Grace were favourite out of those two.

Ezymove came in $500 cheaper with everything all in, same quote whether we moved 7 doors of 2.4m high wardrobes or not, the only extra being $300 if we needed them dismantling.

I was wary of using somebody I'd never heard of, purely on price, and their website is currently very basic but the guy that came to quote knew his stuff, asked all the right questions and made all the right noises. He visited the complex on his way back from coming to quote and asked the caretaker about access, found out it's on a clearway (something we hadn't considered - duh) and generally made us feel confident in his operation. The woman in the office was just as helpful on insurance matters, and we decided to give them a shot.

So - we initially moved here with a jam-packed 20ft container, added all white goods and those huge wardrobes on top of that, they did everything - pack, move, unpack (although I chose to unpack kitchen goods) and it cost $2500, plus $300 for insuring some specified items (e.g., tibetan cabinet, chinese antiques).

They broke one glass whilst packing (and were very apologetic), used blankets and packed everything as well as when we migrated, managed to get an enormous (and heavy, solid teak) TV cabinet down some very awkward internal stairs when I was sure they wouldn't (2 storey apartment) and were generally fab.

Lovely guys, hard-working (they started 7am and finished 7pm on the 2nd day but that's ok if it's an all-in quote), have all the resources you'd expect of a bigger firm (they ferried stuff from the big truck into our car park by ute), and I'd thoroughly recommend them.
excellent post seasider!!! Sounds like a great local company to use!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mr mover
Well it really depends on what you want to pay , and how much respect you have for your furniture , we can all do shit jobs , but perfection comes at a price.........

This is another problem. The last removalists we used damaged a lot of furniture. Was not impressed.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:39 am
Social Grenade Thrower

This is another problem. The last removalists we used damaged a lot of furniture. Was not impressed.
Was it Bodgit, Scarper and Sons?? lmao

Still, I say again, find a local removalist friend, and do a cash job on the weekend!!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider

Thanks very much.