Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving house/ update

moving house/ update

Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:04 am
Badge

Default moving house/ update

HUP/Hevs read this, saves me calling you, OK? ;-)

Today I got evicted from the Garratt house - but luckily I have found a villa in the town centre not far away. I moved in this morning, and the first thing I did was check the phone line Hellstra gave me, and check I could get internet dial up - I can. yippee!

It is 210 a week which is quite expensive for what it is - it has a good size back yard (bare arse), even a bit of front yard, but a small living area. No rumpus or formal room but as I am on my own I will rotate thorugh all the bedrooms in turn, wearing each room out equally - how good is that!! ;-)

However the price reflects the fact it is only 300m from the very nice town centre shops, and not even 10 minutes from the train station. 240 would get you a much bigger house but I may have to live on an estate ala the Stepford Wives. Dotty is right about the 'sea of roofs', but STAY AWAY!! Where I was in NSW there weren't any.

It has polished wooden floors in the lounge room, 3 deep pile bedrooms, 2 double, 1 single, although the 2nd double is not technically a bedroom as it does not have robes so I will use it as a TV room. I can use the 3rd to house my footie kit so it does not honk the entire house out, and to stand in when I am thinking about something. Saves me wearing out the wooden floors. SPACE, eh!!

It also does not have an ensuite and even the only toilet is next to the laundry not in the only bathroom but as we will be 2 there are no dramas. It has the added bonus I can sit in the toilet and coil one up far from the crowd in peace and quiet. Night sorties will be interesting though ;-)

I drove around the road - fairly 'established' and it seems OK. Haven't met the neighbours but I exchanged a nod with the fella from next door. (I was a bit busy carrying in my 4 suitcases).

I'm in the house now with my laptop and speakers listening to MP3s, and there are no sounds of V8 hoons so I've no competition!! ;-)

I am sitting on the floor of the TV room with my back against the wall ( I put a clean T-shirt on first ho) as I forgot to borrow a chair off HUP. Bean bag to follow. My doss bag is on the floor of the bedroom until I get around to buying a mattress.

I spent 200 bucks on essentials (pots pans,cutlery) trying not to duplicate anything that Mrs B might bring over in our container. Also an iron and a board, a 16 set crockery for 9 bucks which is decent as it is not loud and can still be got out at barbies with no blushes all round. I got it all from The Warehouse, and I had to unload my trolly in front of 5 familes who tmust have thought I was a real povo.

"Look Mum, he's getting EVERYTHING here!"

I also borrowed an idea from hup and bought a solar light for the drive - comes on at night and charges during the day. Mine is brighter than HUPS I reckon. ;-)

Today I caught the train in to town and saw a recruitment consultant and she was impressed with my CV - because I am not just a developer, I also have a background which apparently allows me to 'think outside the box' - not just sit in a corner - and she has me in for an Aussie biggie (no names!) but you'd piss yourselves if you knew who it was..she says I can achieve 60-65k easily and more if I had more Aussie experience - I have a bit.

My past corporate experience is paying off obviously, as apparently IT companies are after all-round skills now yadda yadda not just technical gurus and just can't get the staff!! So that was a good start.

So its weird being here on my own (again) but the voices haven't started yet so I'm ok.

some thoughts:

I paid up some rent in advance, (as I had no rental history) but also got written permission to break the lease and still get my rent back providing I pay until the landlord finds someone which is fair enough - (and quite standard).

Melbourne CBD was quite sleepy not many people around and I revelled in the lack of rush and bustle. For me it is great to live in a city of millions of people and history and culture and sport but not have to spend all day getting across the CBD - London doesn't really have a CBD - just a collection of 'centres' most of which are only good for pigeons and tourists.

It was an overcast day so it was a tad depressing on the way back, but the beauty of the weather is that can change day to day, so you don't cook for days at a time (like you would do in Brissy).

Shopping is easier as is there is less to choose from in the supermarket - FAIR DINKUM. People whinge about beuracracy but as far as I am concerned, you find the right agency, fill in a form and BOSCH. I like the way your bond does not go to the rental landlord direct but to a special centralised bureau.

Pay cash at Good Guys for bargains, Hardly Normal also do a price promise so I got a printer, scanner, copier and fax all in one which will be put in to use to look for work.

Who says Straya has no history - on the train I met the Vice President of the National Trust.

I'm glad I bought a workhorse ute and not a posh 'family' 4x4 as the back tray has proved useful to not only me but also to Hevs and HUP for all sorts of errands. They are grouse.

I am buying Jolyn's microwave, Washing machine and Fridge so she's a good sort.

Yours aye

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Feb 10th 2004 at 10:07 am.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:06 am
WBB

nice to hear your getting established badge, putting down some roots and all that.

mrs B will be proud of you doing your own ironing too, dont let her catch on though mate it could become a regular thing

keep us posted.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:17 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving house/ update

Originally posted by badgersmount

Pay cash at Good Guys for bargains, Hardly Normal also do a price promise so I got a printer, scanner, copier and fax all in one which will be put in to use to look for work.

Also, don't forget to ask for a discount everywhere, even if you're not paying cash. 10% is fairly standard, even at the local bike shop!

Don't use Pacific Internet for dial-up, unless you want the connection to trip out every 5 minutes. We're now with Iinet ADSL and no problems so far.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Badge, nice to hear that you are getting on well. I bet you cant wait fir Mrs B to arrive. I am sure that you had a great time with the Garretts.

Have you seen Terry G at all?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 7:30 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Bump! (cos I don't think hevs and HUP have spotted this yet!)

Good luck in your new house!

And keep us posted!!

Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:13 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving house/ update

Thats it use our hospitality and then spurn us

We won't be coming on a picnic with you cos I know how it'd be.....povo.

Anway better go Granny is nagging for the phone . Hevs will be on later

Hup

Originally posted by badgersmount
HUP/Hevs read this, saves me calling you, OK? ;-)