British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Gold Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-gold-coast-898954/)

Rosie24 Jul 2nd 2017 3:06 pm

Moving to Gold Coast

Moving in the next few months not sure if I should bring over the whole house about £4000 not sure if i would be looking for house that would fit furniture family think I should leave most of the furniture and pack boxes with all my goods does anyone have any suggestions moving from uk and who to deal with

moneypenny20 Jul 8th 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Moving to Gold Coast

Originally Posted by Rosie24 (Post 12285293)
Moving in the next few months not sure if I should bring over the whole house about £4000 not sure if i would be looking for house that would fit furniture family think I should leave most of the furniture and pack boxes with all my goods does anyone have any suggestions moving from uk and who to deal with

Sorry, only just seen this. Only you can decide to be honest. I would (and did) bring everything bar the kitchen sink. Most people rent for at least a year before buying and if you come from a (for example) three bed house and need a three bed house, the chances are the three bedder here will be bigger than the one in the UK (very generally speaking obviously). If you're happy to arrive and have to buy everything then leave/sell your stuff before moving. If you are going to be strapped for money in the first few months and have better things to spend your money on, like living, then bring everything. :)

If you decide to bring all or a little you need to google shippers and get them round to give you quotes. It's years since I did it but we used John Mason and were very happy with them. We haven't had a shipping/container thread in years and I'm out of the shipping loop but a search will bring up some old ones that may help. Good luck.

Rosie24 Jul 8th 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks for getting back to me having a good clear out before before I get the removers in ,the other thing I was not sure about was if a blu Ray video worked in aust and also my son has a play station with lots of games not sure wether to sell them thanks

moneypenny20 Jul 8th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rosie24 (Post 12289648)
Thanks for getting back to me having a good clear out before before I get the removers in ,the other thing I was not sure about was if a blu Ray video worked in aust and also my son has a play station with lots of games not sure wether to sell them thanks

They'll work. I can't remember if Aus games work in a UK machine but obviously all his UK ones will.

skinnygeorge Jul 9th 2017 9:08 am

We brought everything to, on the advice of friends. Still had to buy a sofa bed,TV,cheap table/chairs and cutlery while we waited for the stuff to come(6 or 8 weeks). But the sofa bed come in use for years after(nr 9 now). It all adds up. If its cheapish/old stuff you may want to think twice. We had inherited a good dining table/chairs, bought a Miele washing machine, bought a 3 piece suite a couple of years before. Free standing cookers are not common here and we left the fridge/freezer which was 10+ year old. Insuring it for shipping is not cheap(get quotes and do the math) but it has been known for containers to go overboard or just get lost. A mate thought he`d lost a couple of motorcycles for a few months but they turned up eventually.

brits1 Jul 9th 2017 2:09 pm

Hi we took everything to Aus and very glad we did for a few reasons, no that's a fib we did not take two of our beds, kettle, iron, cutlery and dinner plates as I thought we might need them asap, we did not know anyone in Aus and had rented a holiday cottage for 3 weeks until we found a rental then we bought beds straight away and the other items as well when we arrived for our rental....it was a good thing as well as our furniture arrived in April (shipping left the UK in September!!!!!) they lost our container....I kid you not. It all depends if you are staying with someone or have organised furnished accom, if that is the case and you like are decent condition then I would bring everything with me, it will save on the cost of refurnishing, which I found in Perth WA to be very expensive and glad I only had to buy beds etc. with us. Good luck what an exciting time for you.

kirstyp Jul 10th 2017 11:51 am

It's definitely a good idea to declutter before you move. A big part of shipping costs is based on volume of items you’re taking, so decluttering in advance can be a great way of not paying for things you really aren’t going to use.

HOWEVER.... how rutheless you are is partially personal preference. The 'what CAN I take' bit might be down to the type of property you're moving into, or what you can and can't take according to import regulations, but a big part is also what you WANT to take.

Some people underestimate the power of familiarity win making your new location feel like 'home'. For some people this doesn't matter at all and new stuff is much more exciting, but for others it is more important, particularly with kids.

Another thing to factor into your decisions as well as the above and the cost implications is your appetite for shopping to replace anything. Again, this is down to your personal preferences, some people love shopping and having the freedom to pick all their new things to suit their new home, others the thought of having to research where to buy stuff, best prices etc. not to mention arranging deliveries and set up can seem like a really stressful idea to have to handle on top of everything else you'll have going on getting settled when you arrive.

Going back to what you CAN'T take - Australia are pretty hot on their restricted or prohibited items. There is some good info on what you can and can't take here http://www.agriculture.gov.au/travel...ng-immigrating as well as how to prepare the items that are on the 'common items of bio security concern' list, which although allowed in are subject to additional scrutiny and possible treatment (e.g. if you import furniture that shows sign of woodworm).

When it comes to who to deal with for shipping, A great place to start for shipping is to check out FIDI website for a list of FAIM certified international removal companies that serve your area to make sure whoever you're using is fully qualified, licensed and independently vetted for overseas moving.

There are lots more tips about choosing reputable removals companies and your different options over on our vendor forum for International Removals advice.

Hope that helps?

Rosie24 Jul 16th 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge (Post 12290097)
We brought everything to, on the advice of friends. Still had to buy a sofa bed,TV,cheap table/chairs and cutlery while we waited for the stuff to come(6 or 8 weeks). But the sofa bed come in use for years after(nr 9 now). It all adds up. If its cheapish/old stuff you may want to think twice. We had inherited a good dining table/chairs, bought a Miele washing machine, bought a 3 piece suite a couple of years before. Free standing cookers are not common here and we left the fridge/freezer which was 10+ year old. Insuring it for shipping is not cheap(get quotes and do the math) but it has been known for containers to go overboard or just get lost. A mate thought he`d lost a couple of motorcycles for a few months but they turned up eventually.

thanks for your reply. Family would be quite happy for us not to bring any furniture but think it would be to expensive to clear out everything have been told that our smart TVs does not work and have been told it does work what do you think

Rosie24 Jul 16th 2017 8:47 am

Thanks everyone for your help everyone has the same opinion that I should bring out what I can I know I won,t be bring my freezers and some bedroom furniture and will have a good clear out of dishes ect

moneypenny20 Jul 16th 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Rosie24 (Post 12295461)
thanks for your reply. Family would be quite happy for us not to bring any furniture but think it would be to expensive to clear out everything have been told that our smart TVs does not work and have been told it does work what do you think

Smart tv should work. It's generally just a case of resetting when you plug it in. (obviously after changing the plug).