Reload this Page >

Moving a dog from New York to Sydney

Moving a dog from New York to Sydney

Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Captain Zeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving a dog from New York to Sydney

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any experience moving a dog from US to Australia? Any companies that could be recommended? Likely costs?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving a dog from New York to Sydney

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/c...guide-for-dogs

Read through the guide we are in the process of Exporting our dog from Canada, in the end we estimate it will cost us around $3000-$4000 but our dog is classed as giant which does increase the cost.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the cost is incurred by the 6 months kennel boarding. This is a requirement to assure the animal does not have rabies.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. We have a quote for $6500 that includes all documentation, shipping and quarantine costs. Bit higher than we were hoping but they appear to be very knowledgeable.

Best,
Robin
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Most of the cost is incurred by the 6 months kennel boarding. This is a requirement to assure the animal does not have rabies.
Not true, the animal only needs to be in quarantine in Australia for 10 days. As long as the animal has the Rabies blood test 180 days before entering Australia.

$6500 seems expensive, most of our cost was due to the flight but our dog is 45kg which was the reason it was so expensive. But then again I imagine all the blood tests will be twice the price in the US.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
Not true, the animal only needs to be in quarantine in Australia for 10 days. As long as the animal has the Rabies blood test 180 days before entering Australia.

$6500 seems expensive, most of our cost was due to the flight but our dog is 45kg which was the reason it was so expensive. But then again I imagine all the blood tests will be twice the price in the US.
things may well have changed in the 10 yrs since our dog came from USA. Plus I wasn't aware that they could spot rabies in a blood test? Well not until it becomes active anyhow.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by denzil73
things may well have changed in the 10 yrs since our dog came from USA. Plus I wasn't aware that they could spot rabies in a blood test? Well not until it becomes active anyhow.
The blood test is to test for Rabies antibodies from the rabies vaccine.

They change the rules quite frequently it was only in the last few months they changed the quarantine time in Australia from 30 days to the current 10 days, which is great news as it gets rid of a bit of expense and it better for the animals.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Yep MountainHiker. You are correct. Had rabies shot back in December. Was the first thing we did as the 6 months is measured from that date. Just 10 days in quarantine in Sydney, which we are thankful for. We had a cheaper quote of $4500, but really like the company who are more expensive. Sod's law I guess but we want to make sure we trust the company that is moving our dog.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captain Zeb
Yep MountainHiker. You are correct. Had rabies shot back in December. Was the first thing we did as the 6 months is measured from that date. Just 10 days in quarantine in Sydney, which we are thankful for. We had a cheaper quote of $4500, but really like the company who are more expensive. Sod's law I guess but we want to make sure we trust the company that is moving our dog.
ah, so there is still the 6 month incubation time for Rabies even after having the vaccine?
Oh, useless fact of the day but did you know that a girl was cured of rabies a while back. The Doctor put her into a coma and severely lowered her body temp which gave the bodies immune system enough time to counteract the rabies virus.

She is still alive but the down side was it erased most of her memory so she's having to learn many things as if she was a new born baby but at least she didn't die
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

dashingjames is an unknown quantity at this point

It's too expensive. I suggest you try to look for another company which has smaller rate. Plus take time to search for some policies for moving a dog.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dashingjames
It's too expensive. I suggest you try to look for another company which has smaller rate. Plus take time to search for some policies for moving a dog.
What is too expensive? And what ro you mean 'policies for moving a dog'? If you have experience of the subject please share it in more detail.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

dashingjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving a dog from New York to Sydney

I am referring to Captain Zeb. $6500 is expensive for me. I think several countries have their policies for moving dogs and other pets (especially some endangered animals). Think about the days you processed some papers and how much you pay to the company to ship your dog across countries.

I have read here : Pet Travel Requirements & Restrictions | Delta Air Lines

I have no experience moving pets across countries but I have read it on the site I have linked to.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What is too expensive? And what ro you mean 'policies for moving a dog'? If you have experience of the subject please share it in more detail.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:57 am
Just Joined

scottydog357 is on a distinguished road

Also be aware even though quarantine changed to 10 days, the wonderful Australian government have increased the cost of this from $29 to $149 per day, yes that's correct $149 per day.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dashingjames
I am referring to Captain Zeb. $6500 is expensive for me. I think several countries have their policies for moving dogs and other pets (especially some endangered animals). Think about the days you processed some papers and how much you pay to the company to ship your dog across countries.

I have read here : Pet Travel Requirements & Restrictions | Delta Air Lines

I have no experience moving pets across countries but I have read it on the site I have linked to.
I can tell you something for nothing james - you'd have a snowball's chance in hell of shipping an endangered animal to Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.