Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Old Sep 20th 2015, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Originally Posted by astera
I wouldn't be writing about the western suburbs when discussing Sydney.

Sydney just isn't an exciting place with a lot going on - at night time it is kind of dull compared to most places I've lived in. It's a nice city and all but very uneventful, kind of like Vancouver in Canada. Well, maybe not that bad...

I don't regret moving to SE QLD, not at all. In fact I was going to ditch my move to Australia altogether when it seemed like we would end up in Sydney. It's the Gold Coast that actually made me reconsider moving here.

Getting back to "the capitol" itself (yeah, we all know which city truly represents Australia on the global map), enlighten us with all the happenin' places in Sydney? I'm all ears as to what all the interesting, non-touristy places are.
What would you like to know? What tickles your fancy? If its the museum scene or world class opera's you are probably looking in the wrong country.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 2:34 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

No need for any Museum or Opera stuff - just tell me about the places that you find interesting in Sydney. Where to go in the evenings, where to find that lively atmosphere and a party crowd, etc.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 9:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

tell me about the places that you find interesting in Sydney. Where to go in the evenings, where to find that lively atmosphere and a party crowd, etc.
....and in return.... will you post where to find a lively party crowd in the evenings in SE QLD (English backpacker haunts don't count).

BB
Old Sep 20th 2015, 9:52 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Brisbane over 14 years and love it. As with everything in life, it's horses for courses.

Some comments;

The weather - I love it and have acclimated to the humidity after all this time. I dress appropriately (my job is very casual) and stay out of the sun during the middle part of the day. I have read that people don't go outside much during summer but I'm not sure who they are as I am outside constantly and see plenty of people out and about. I used my air-con at home for less than two weeks last summer (probably had it on at night 5 times) and made do with fans the rest of the time. Winter in QLD is awesome.

Smaller city - Smaller than Sydney and Melbourne - doesn't feel so crowded or busy or as hard to get places to me - but conversely you may have to travel to these cities for some arts/music/sporting events that don't make it to Brisbane. I enjoy doing this and I travel to Syd/Melb 4-5 times a year. Spent last weekend in Melbourne for a gig and had a ball - but feel like I wouldn't want to live there full time. Flights are reasonably priced if you book early/during a sale.

Easy access to world class beaches (Gold and Sunshine Coasts about an hour away)

Quiet suburbs with houses still affordable in good areas (good schools, Public Transport links etc.). Think this is becoming a huge challenge elsewhere.

Public transport here has improved but is relatively expensive and is not as comprehensive as other cities. Most people rely on their cars which makes traffic pretty bad at peak times. Luckily my work is flexible for start/finish times and that seems to be reasonably common depending on the industry.

I have found people to be friendly and welcoming - I love my sport and have made good mates through watching and playing sport.

Of course, YMMV, no where is perfect but I have a happy and fulfilling life in Brisbane and don't experience some of the negatives that others associate with Brisbane/QLD.

Best of luck with your move!
Old Sep 20th 2015, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No need for any Museum or Opera stuff - just tell me about the places that you find interesting in Sydney. Where to go in the evenings, where to find that lively atmosphere and a party crowd, etc.
That's an easy one. Not sure where I should start. Kind of need to be blindfolded and where the pin hits the map start there.

My evenings out these days are somewhat limiting due to small child so where have I been recently.

I thought Double Bay was a good night out. Started around in the back streets with a meal, finished up in the Sheaf. Loads of hot tottie.

Did a good pub and bar crawl in Paddington recently after a rugby game. Loads of people great atmosphere.

A few months back I met some mates in the south end of Surry Hills. Lots of people around, loads of restaurants and bars. The pub we were in all night ws superb. Can't recall the name but there tonnes in Surry Hills so they are all probably just as good.

Manly. Never not had a good night out there. The only bugger is getting home.

I've had a few good nights out in Neutral Bay. Can't fault the Oaks for a night out.

For the tourists, I had some voucher for a swanky meal in Darling Habour. I was surprised to see how heaving it was. Hadn't been there in years. Its certainly lifted its game.

If I get a leave pass a Sunday boozing around the back streets of Bondi at all the weirdy beardy hipster hole in the wall bars is always great fun.

Shall I go on?
Old Sep 20th 2015, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Brisbane for about 15 of the last 18 years. I have three teenage kids who were all born here. I love the weather - it's rarely too hot or cold - very mild for most of the year (humidity is a killer for some, but I personally love it).

I find that there's heaps to do - always some kind of festival at Southbank, be it art, food, cultural. Most of the shows that go to Sydney and Melbourne come here so always something on at QPAC worthy of a look. Parks are everywhere and a lot have free BBQ facilities. There are a number of cinemas offering cheap movies ($4.50 for kids and $8.50 for adults during peak times). Despite what you'll hear on here, plenty of places to go and have a drink, from your quieter local in the suburbs to something a bit more hip and happening near the city. Public transport is good and my kids catch it day or night with confidence that it's quite safe. Schools are mostly pretty good - you just have to do a bit of research on the area you want to live and check the reputation of the schools.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
....and in return.... will you post where to find a lively party crowd in the evenings in SE QLD (English backpacker haunts don't count).

BB
The valley, gold coast is probably so going off you would need to avoid it ocean street maroochydore, beachfront mooloolaba......

And so so many music venues, bris music scene was voted best in australia and that was posted by ozzieagle.

As kim said its nowhere near as quiet as some would make out.

I guess when you arrived in brisbane with couple of kiddies in a pram its easy to miss the shenanagans .
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I have lived in Brisbane for about 15 of the last 18 years. I have three teenage kids who were all born here. I love the weather - it's rarely too hot or cold - very mild for most of the year (humidity is a killer for some, but I personally love it).

I find that there's heaps to do - always some kind of festival at Southbank, be it art, food, cultural. Most of the shows that go to Sydney and Melbourne come here so always something on at QPAC worthy of a look. Parks are everywhere and a lot have free BBQ facilities. There are a number of cinemas offering cheap movies ($4.50 for kids and $8.50 for adults during peak times). Despite what you'll hear on here, plenty of places to go and have a drink, from your quieter local in the suburbs to something a bit more hip and happening near the city. Public transport is good and my kids catch it day or night with confidence that it's quite safe. Schools are mostly pretty good - you just have to do a bit of research on the area you want to live and check the reputation of the schools.
Brisbane does get a bad rap on this forum. Its overdone. My twenties eldest son still lives mainly in in brisbane but if you could catch him home you would be lucky.

Its like I said about the ekka, which is same as the royal melb/sydney show, but if its the ekka its crap, many a thread on that. Brisbane is too hot for me, but we have yet to give up its business opportunities, far superior and far more profitable to anything else we have found in OZ.

Commuting is a pain, but the nice gold lounge card from virgin has made it easier, back to melb again tomorrow again. Cool too, top of 11, wonderful excuse to drag out the cashmere sweater again
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think some of the things people rave about on here are standard stuff in other cities and if that's it, then it has a lot of work to do to create a point of difference.

Perhaps that's its appeal, it has no point of difference and by having no point of difference its cheap which is very appealing for some.

I guess if having a large house for a young family with a minimum of expense and weekends a satisfied by hanging out in the park or riding bicycles in the street, then Brisbane is a winner.

Perhaps I'm wrong - Just trying to get me head around its appeal.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:34 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I guess when you arrived in brisbane with couple of kiddies in a pram its easy to miss the shenanagans .
My children have never been to Brisbane so I think you may have me confused with someone else.

I myself have been there many times.

BB
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My children have never been to Brisbane so I think you may have me confused with someone else.

I myself have been there many times.

BB
Thought you the wife and kids did a brisbane and melbourne trip, the pictures posted on the forum. You linked the thread many times.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Thought you the wife and kids did a brisbane and melbourne trip, the pictures posted on the forum. You linked the thread many times.
Wife and Kids weren't with me in Brisbane.

Partying by myself.

BB
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

WilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud of

Don't know what was wrong with me on Friday shouldn't have snapped like that....

Read loads of interesting thing and the common theme seems to be the humidity, which i may struggle with but the wife will absolutely love it.

We've looked at the gap which is close by to where my dad stays and we seem to be able to get really good value housing. My wage working in structural engineering seems to be way higher than over here so I'm just looking forward to the move now assuming all goes to plan
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane does get a bad rap on this forum. Its overdone. My twenties eldest son still lives mainly in in brisbane but if you could catch him home you would be lucky.

Its like I said about the ekka, which is same as the royal melb/sydney show, but if its the ekka its crap, many a thread on that. Brisbane is too hot for me, but we have yet to give up its business opportunities, far superior and far more profitable to anything else we have found in OZ.

Commuting is a pain, but the nice gold lounge card from virgin has made it easier, back to melb again tomorrow again. Cool too, top of 11, wonderful excuse to drag out the cashmere sweater again
Yeah my 16 year old is the same - always off in the city with friends. She loves hanging with the international students from school. Their favorite haunt seems to Vapiano Italian Restaurant. A lot of them flew home this weekend, including the very handsome german boot she's seen clinging onto with tears streaming down her cheeks on FB lol.

Enjoy your sweater, you won't need it on your next visit.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:56 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I guess if having a large house for a young family with a minimum of expense and weekends a satisfied by hanging out in the park or riding bicycles in the street, then Brisbane is a winner.
Where did that come from?

It seems to me that Sydney gives you less and charges more, so why go for a lose-lose scenario (unless of course it is job-related)?

I would say Brisbane is great for kids and spending time outdoors. I would easily put it above Sydney, having lived in both cities. The downtown area is great, very good for walks and bike rides, and South Bank is just superb and probably the only place that reminds me of Singapore with that great atmosphere and ambiance that I thought I'd never witness in Australia - overall they've really made the city a pleasant place along the river.

It's also more upscale than Sydney, which is evident with the naked eye when just looking at the people - the difference in "quality" is evident. The department stores on the main shopping street there also make their Sydney counterparts (same chain) look like they forgot to switch the logo to TK Maxx.

P.S. Thanks for the tips on where to go out at night in Sydney. I never would have thought of places like Paddington for a great pub/bar crawl, and I will definitely check out the places you mention when I head over to visit relatives in December.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.