Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Old Sep 19th 2015, 5:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Originally Posted by WilliamStacey
Hello mr sunshine. no one is asking you to comment. I was looking for info that i may not necessarily find elsewhere and first hand experience is always better IMO.

I've found information here that has been helpful, so if you find them pointless you and your 2 assholes don't have to comment on them.....
Well, aren't you a little ray of sunshine?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 6:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mr sunshine. no one is asking you to comment. I was looking for info that i may not necessarily find elsewhere and first hand experience is always better IMO.

I've found information here that has been helpful, so if you find them pointless you and your 2 assholes don't have to comment on them.....
Er, you did ask for comments

This forum has a quote system (button at bottom right) so that you can reply to a post. It would be helpful to use it so that I know if you are insulting me directly and can respond. It works

My opinion:
Brisbane is complete shithole - easily the crappiest capital city in Australia. The only things I like about Queensland are the Sunshine Coast and the far North

Hope this helps
Old Sep 19th 2015, 6:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Brisbane - the good and bad

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Brisbane is complete shithole - easily the crappiest capital city in Australia.
....but it does seem to have excellent PR and marketing!

BB
Old Sep 19th 2015, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
Indeed, and I have heard first hand on many occasions that Perth doesn't come close to Brisbane. And based on those opinions, I probably wouldn't like to live there.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Indeed, and I have heard first hand on many occasions that Perth doesn't come close to Brisbane. And based on those opinions, I probably wouldn't like to live there.
Will let you know. Off to Perth soon for a visit.

BB
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

BB
I wouldn't if I were you. We're all dead, some sort of plague.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:33 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

BB
No, that would be Melbourne, with an utterly miserable climate that should easily place it last on anyone's list.

QLD is packed with people bailing the heck out of there as soon as they are free of the 9-to-5 ball & chain.

Sydney is as far south as I'd recommend going - of course if the choice is up to you and not job-related.

William, to be honest most things that will end up on your negative list will be general issues to do with living down under, with only a few being city-specific (crap weather down south, traffic here or there, etc.). What does your dad have to say about his experiences after returning recently?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

BB
Awesome. Thanks.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Read a couple of threads and there doesn't seem to be too many nice things said about Brisbane and QLD in general so If you could let me know the good, the bad and the ugly it'd really help.

Thanks.

Good bad and ugly.

Live between melbourne and brisbane and sunshine coast, due to business an d family commitments. Soon, 5 months a year overseas will be added to that. Its complicated

The main thing I found bad was the weather. Because I dont like hot weather much at all. But many people would find 20 - 28 year round ( the average temps by offiical stats ) wonderful. I found jan and feb even march and december way too hot.

I hated the casual sloppy dress standards, I love my boots hats jeans, a rarity in brisbane. Thats the ugly bit for sure the shorts and singlets not flattering on 99% of the rather large population.

The good. Property is ridiculously cheap. In melb if you can fight off 10 other bidders you might get a derelict shack for the price of a massive house/land in brisbane in a good suburb. So much building planned in brisbane now, gold coast too, and now the sunshine coast has 3 major development areas started or ready to roll. Prices are where they were in 2007. Will change and southern investors know it and are moving in.

There is far more going on that people think. People tend to knock brisbane or report what they saw or heard years ago. Example melbourne has a royal melbourne show, thats seen as cool, the same exhibits go to brisbane where they call it the ekka, loads of threads knocking it, but its the same thing Its just a thing to knock brisbane.

People say no beaches, sure no surf beaches in brisbane at all, they are an hour away, north and south and the islands off brisbane. But in melb we have some nice enough but flat suburban beaches, which look very much like the manly, redcliffe peninsula beaches off brisbane, but in melb they count as cool or desirable, they look the same! Mind you in brisbane property is about a third of the price.

Its not all bad at all, so much potential for growth, where sydney and melb grew and burst at the seams.

BTW dont buy the more jobs in syd and melb, remember more people too, the wages market in melb is very competitive. Cut throat. All of my family have found that. Lots of well qualified migrants willing to work for a very low wage unfortunately and employers know it.

It all depends what you want, make no mistake though, anywhere in OZ will be darn hot, too hot often in summer is heat is not your thing. If you hate casual skip brisbane.

Traffic is bad in sydney, melb and brisbane, I dont know which is worse, it depends on your particular journey. Public transport in brisbane is pretty bad IMO, but I only used a few areas, so not exactly and expert. I use it all the time in melb, much better, well if its not on strike

Same world wide really.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 10:42 pm
Victorian Evangelist

How did this thread end up to be about Melbourne?

BB
Old Sep 19th 2015, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

How did this thread end up to be about Melbourne?

BB
East coast comparisons. Brisbane knows it can't get close to Sydney so it goes after Melbourne
Old Sep 20th 2015, 12:21 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
East coast comparisons. Brisbane knows it can't get close to Sydney so it goes after Melbourne
Sydney is boring. The downtown area caters mostly to tourists and as for the suburbs... well, let's not even get into that.

It is a very beautiful city, I'll give it that.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 2:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

As I was saying earlier - pointless
Old Sep 20th 2015, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Sydney is boring. The downtown area caters mostly to tourists and as for the suburbs... well, let's not even get into that.

It is a very beautiful city, I'll give it that.
Well that desciption is a first. I guess if you lived in the western suburbs you could say that. I certainly would.

Not really sure what you mean about downtown. Martin Place on a weekend????? - probably - I wouldn't know. Know one goes there on the weekend except the odd lost tourist.

You sure you aren't just defending a regrettable decision in moving to SE Queensland?
Old Sep 20th 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well that desciption is a first. I guess if you lived in the western suburbs you could say that. I certainly would.

Not really sure what you mean about downtown. Martin Place on a weekend????? - probably - I wouldn't know. Know one goes there on the weekend except the odd lost tourist.

You sure you aren't just defending a regrettable decision in moving to SE Queensland?
I wouldn't be writing about the western suburbs when discussing Sydney.

Sydney just isn't an exciting place with a lot going on - at night time it is kind of dull compared to most places I've lived in. It's a nice city and all but very uneventful, kind of like Vancouver in Canada. Well, maybe not that bad...

I don't regret moving to SE QLD, not at all. In fact I was going to ditch my move to Australia altogether when it seemed like we would end up in Sydney. It's the Gold Coast that actually made me reconsider moving here.

Getting back to "the capitol" itself (yeah, we all know which city truly represents Australia on the global map), enlighten us with all the happenin' places in Sydney? I'm all ears as to what all the interesting, non-touristy places are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.