Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice
Default Moving to Brisbane

We are meant to move to Brisbane in 2 weeks, from Victoria. I will be working at Prince Charles Hospital and my OH is working south of Brisbane in the industrial area. Trying to sort out what suburb is best to accomondate our work schedules on both sides of the city. We have 2 children 14 and 8, so also need to find a good school district.

Considering the amount of devastation and people looking for homes, I imagine there will be a shortage of rental accomondation.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:26 am
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

were abouts on the south side is you OH working? and what sorta area are you looking for?.. i think your right regarding the shortage..
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

Not really sure where he will be working yet. He is a truss estimnator and all the factories appear to be on the southside. He normally starts at 5 or 6 am so, fingers crossed he can avoid traffic. We lived on the wrong side of the bridge in Auckland and the daily commute nearly killed us. Don't want a repeat!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The most direct route between the main industrial area on the southside and the prince charles hospital is through the Clem7 tunnel. Currently has a toll of $3 per car or $4.95 if driving a:

- two axle rigid trucks or load carrying vans or utilities, having a gross vehicle mass greater than 1.5 tonnes but not exceeding 4.5 tonnes

(Source: http://www.clem7.com.au/content/2172...E-TOLL-CHARGES)

These tolls are likely to rise an extra $1.

This is the route you would take so you could live along this route (maybe around Grange?):

Or you could avoid the tolls and take the quieter suburban Walter Taylor Bridge route. I would live on the northside of the bridge (say Toowong) as travelling south over the bridge is a lot easier in morning peak hour than north (and vice versa in the evening peak).

Note that some of the industrial area to the south was badly flooded. See Rocklea Floods (The water has receded a bit in these photos)

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 16th 2011 at 2:10 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, that is so helpful. I am dreading morning traffic. Now I have some areas to focus on.