Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Moving Back to the UK forum

The Moving Back to the UK forum

Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:08 pm
Merlot

Default Re: The Moving Back to the UK forum

Originally Posted by wombat42
Thats a good point. They probably spend a lot more money down here then tourists.
The silver lining hey Wombat 42! Economy boosted.

M

Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:46 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
I have said it on a few occasions but I reckon that those that post on the Going Home site should post here, not to give a downer to those with dreams and plans, but another angle. It is an interesting site to read from time to time.
Some do from time to time but they often get slated (when in reality they are giving valid opinions and offering good advice) so then most disappear back to the Back to the UK forum. Shame really.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:57 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by wmoore
Some do from time to time but they often get slated (when in reality they are giving valid opinions and offering good advice) so then most disappear back to the Back to the UK forum. Shame really.
It is a shame as the "On the ground report" is always so much more interesting and true. Those that throws stones!!!

Like Loney Planet books when you are back-packing, the biggest white elephant for me as by the time it comes to print it was out of date. Speaking with others travelling was the best way of getting around, finding a hostel or good trip.

M

Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:43 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

When I first joined British Expats there was no one on here that had been and tried it and were going back. Now even if there had been there is no way in the world that it would have influenced my decision on whether or not to go to Oz. When I got there and realised what a big mistake I had made how I wish there had been some on here who were going through or had gone through the same thing, just so I would have known that I wasn't going mad. I think the moving back part has a very useful part to play on this site because if it happens that you get there and hate it at least you will know you are not alone, also for others it lets them know that a lot of what they are feeling is perfectly normal and 9 times out of 10 the feelings will pass. In my case it never would have passed but I will never regret having a go.

Susan

Last edited by heading downunder 2002; Jan 27th 2005 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:47 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by desperate2go

Im sure most of us realise that we have as much chance of it working as not....thats why its so scary at times. All we can do is give it our best shot really ....and hopefully support each other as much as poss
Well said!!

And really, that is true of all the challenges that women are likely to face in their lives (getting married/settling with partner, having kids, getting one's first senior well-paid job). It is a question of giving it your best shot - and then, if it doesn't work out, being grown up enough to move on without harboring resentments.

Cheers
Anya.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:53 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

The silver lining hey Wombat 42! Economy boosted.

M
Yes, you know what us women are like for buying shoes (especially when feeling a bit down)......

Have just found a fab shoe shop in Melbourne so that's me happy

Anya.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:28 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Yes, you know what us women are like for buying shoes (especially when feeling a bit down)......

Anya.
The next Emelda Marcos.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz

Anya.
Ooh, fabulous, where is it? (Not Lt Collins St, by any chance?) I shall check it out later this year!

I just totalled up that I bought 11 pairs of shoes in 18 months whilst in Melbourne

Must dash - have to go to the 'Moving Back to UK' forum to complain about the price of European footwear in Australia
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:38 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

Must dash - have to go to the 'Moving Back to UK' forum to complain about the price of European footwear in Australia
Or finding ones that fit without ripping your pinkies out!

M

Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:45 pm
wombat42

Dreadful shame.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 27th 2005 at 10:52 pm.

Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
When I first joined British Expats there was no one on here that had been and tried it and were going back. Now even if there had been there is no way in the world that it would have influenced my decision on whether or not to go to Oz.
I think a lot of wide eyed potential migrants could really benefit from hearing about the other side of the coin.

In particular, it might persuade some people to do more research and, perhaps, think about having an escape route in place.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:30 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
When I got there and realised what a big mistake I had made
Do tell, how long did it take to realise, and what factors were involved?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

An yes I think it is the females that can find it harder, maybe the missing bond with their Mum's/Female friends in UK.

Merlot
I do agree that women find it harder but I think it's because they are (generally speaking, of course) the ones who are left sitting home day in and day out, looking after kids and looking after the house. They aren't "out there" working, making friends, interacting with colleagues and learning about the country. When we first arrived, I stayed at home for a few months before starting work and it was hard to sit home and alone which is the worst thing because it makes you think about everything and get depressed - (and I certainly couldn't rely on the 'daytime' tv to help take my mind off it )

but I do also miss my mum so much, she is the salt of the earth and I phone all the time whereas the hubby is happy to call his folks once every so often to let them know we are still alive and kicking

Last edited by Shellfish; Jan 28th 2005 at 12:38 am.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:36 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
I think a lot of wide eyed potential migrants could really benefit from hearing about the other side of the coin.

In particular, it might persuade some people to do more research and, perhaps, think about having an escape route in place.
An escape route? they are immigrating to Australia not Afganistan.

Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:40 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Do tell, how long did it take to realise, and what factors were involved?
l can hardly wait : Whinge, , Whinge, ,Whinge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.