Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Oct 24th 2003, 11:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

$650,000 will get an OK 1 bedroom flat in Bondi.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 11:34 am
Badge

Originally posted by bondipom

indeed - but Bondi is now a kind of "Central London" location. A one bedroom flat in the best area of London eg Belgravia Westminster - I dread to think.

Pete would have been referring to suburbs.

badge

Old Oct 24th 2003, 11:41 am
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom

that sort of money could easily buy you a 5 bed house with a pool in the burbs.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 11:45 am

Originally posted by welshboybilly
that sort of money could easily buy you a 5 bed house with a pool in the burbs.
Of Brisssie maybe but not Sydney.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 11:49 am

Anyway tomorrow morning I am off back to Britain for 10 days for a family wedding. Lots of drinking with friends, bloody M&S shopping and most importantly seeing close family and my gran.

Not looking forward to the cold but who gives a shit when you are pissed.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough
Default depends on the kids

can i just say getting back to the schooling, i think it also depends if the kids are willing to learn,my daughter bright as a button so no matter what school she goes to she is gonna do well, be it uk or oz, my son on the other hand doesnt like school too much and is not as willing to learn, he has to be encouraged...It is all down to the individual child.so dont knock either country as it is up to the kids as much as the teachers, and the parents, to help them..Son is never gonna be brainbox of anywhere but he will have experienced both side of the world, and come out with more knowledge than most british kids , however , daughter is an avid reader who wants to know everything about everything, thats just the way she is, been like that since before she started school.The school she went to in UK was a dump, needed money had drug problems but it never affected her as she wants to learn, was in with the right crowd of people. School son went to was a nice clean community school but he wasnt as interested..so it is catch 22...Jan Hutchinson
Old Oct 24th 2003, 11:55 am
WBB

could easily buy land and build on it for aus650k in almost anywhere in australia.

you just got to be willing to do the legwork, and obviously a lot of hard yakka.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:01 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
could easily buy land and build on it for aus650k in almost anywhere in australia.

you just got to be willing to do the legwork, and obviously a lot of hard yakka.
I am talking about Sydney. People buying land now have a years waiting to get the builders in. Price of building is shooting way ahead of inflation. I am sure there are plenty places where I do not want to live that have houses available for 650k but then that is bloody useless for me.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:07 pm
WBB

i too am talking of sydney, you could easily buy land and build a nice house for that sotrt of doh.

i have a friend who is a property developer in aus and he tells me that he bought a rundown house in sydney 2 minutes from the beach (not sure which) spent 6 months working on it and his total investment including purchase price, stamp duty and the work was less than half a million dollars, he then sold the house for nine hundred thousand.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:07 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I am talking about Sydney. People buying land now have a years waiting to get the builders in. Price of building is shooting way ahead of inflation. I am sure there are plenty places where I do not want to live that have houses available for 650k but then that is bloody useless for me[QUOTE]

whats coogee,bronte,clovelly like now ?the same or still $50k'ish less or are they on a par?

just looking at the new units advertised at the oval in coogee -$1/2 million but stunning views and brand new
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by itsasecret
I cant believe that Oz is effected by more crime than the uk?
These stats are sometimes relative to some other factor like popluation/area/percentages.. etc..
That's exactly what it is - per capita. There are more murders per capita in Oz than in UK.

And 30% of the Oz population are annually affected by serious crime, compared to 26% in the UK.

Its a fact that crime rate in the uk has got worse.. UK is not the same place as it was when we where all kids..!! when i was young you had problems , but nothing like the yobish attitudes you get from teenages nowadays..
Here we have hoons who tear around the streets in souped-up cars, generally late at night - waking up neighbourhoods. Not just tearing round the streets but also using them as drag racing strips. Of course we also have rape, assault, and I've lost count of the number of drive-by shootings that have been on the news in recent weeks.

Since when has taking your credit card to the doctors been classed as free health care?? I have never paid for healthcare in the uk, but im told that health care is not free in oz.
but if you say that it is free please tell us again.?
I don't know, since when has taking your credit card to the docs been classed as free health care?

There is a thing here called 'bulk-billing' - some doctors offer bulk billing, some don't. If you go to a doc with bulk billing you don't pay a bean. The downside is that that these are the places where you'll most likely wait 4 days to get an appointment. On the other hand, you can go to a docs where you pay - the standard appointment cost is about $45 and you can claim about $25 back from Medicare. In my experience you will get a same day appt. It's up to you whether you choose a place with BB or not.

I had an operation in May and it was free (although I do have to pay a Medicare levy from my salary - that's just like NI though)

Im not convinced that life is better in the UK .
I'm not convinced that life is 'better' in either the UK or Oz. The vices of developed society have caught up with both. I certainly have not found life better or worse in Australia, just different. But it depends on your expectations and desires - I didn't come with any - I came predominantly to be closer to my sister.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hidden Paw, have sent you a pm.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:50 pm
Melbourne wannabe

Sparkley is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Lord, when I read posts like Hidden Paw's it makes me wonder why I want to go to Melbourne at all. There's so much negativity on these boards (not that I doubt the truth in what you say) - guess that's the nature of discussion forums though. People come to them with issues, not to share their joys. Does freak me out a bit though I must admit.

Sparkley
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:50 pm
WBB

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

There is a thing here called 'bulk-billing' - some doctors offer bulk billing, some don't. If you go to a doc with bulk billing you don't pay a bean. The downside is that that these are the places where you'll most likely wait 4 days to get an appointment.
4 days!!!!!

if i phone my local clinic i can easily expect a 2 week wait to see a doctor sometimes more, you can of course just turn up without an appointment but you must present yourself at reception and be prepared to be seen after all the scheduled appointments meaning a wait of or 4 hours
:scared:

another thing is the attitude on the doctors receptionist's you would think you were asking for something totally absurd when you ask to see a doctor.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:51 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Sorry to disallusion you but the education system in Australia is not very good at all.

It is the product of a country that relies on commodities as its main export.

I was educated in Britain and my education was very good. Mind you I am 40 now so I have no doubt the education system in England has changed.

As an example I was doing complex calculus at 15 - they do not do it here until the first year of University. Also you try asking anyone here who is not a chemist what the Periodic Table is - you just get a blank stare. I have spoken to a MEng in Mechanical Engineering from Victoria who does not know that Ohm's law is not applicable to capacitors (I learnt this at 15 in physics O level).

I think in England it is more a case of getting your kids into a good school. That means either living in a rich area that is more likely to have better state schools or paying for schooling.

I don't have any kids so I suppose that I am not really qualified to give a firm opinion.

Most teachers that I have met in Australia are screw balls and I go away with the impression of "Thank God I don't have any kids -this guy/girl would really screw them up".

On the other hand though your kids will be mainly competing with other badly educated Australians so it may be OK (that is assuming that they survive being beaten up at school for being a Pom).
Well, where to begin. I don't want to 'disillusion' you (note the spelling, I was taught to spell in my primary school in Melbourne!!) but I am a schoolteacher with lengthy experience of the UK and Australian secondary systems.

So much of what you say is c**p if you don't mind me saying. However, I am just someone with first-hand experience of both education systems so what would I know. I will not even bother refuting your exaggerated generalisations and biased opinions dressed up as I don't know what.

I'll stop, you are trying to wind people up deliberately aren't you?

P.S. I haven't met many 'screw balls' in teaching in either system. But in the outside world, on this forum, that's another story.

TennisOz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.