Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Its maybe still worth it. But certainly not so clear cut, it could go either way. Its not the 90s any longer and that era seems to be the glory days from what folks tell me.

Having been back a couple weeks from a business trip in London I was reminded of all the reasons I chose to leave. The overcrowded manic crush. The affectations. The grim estates. The multiculturalism. etc etc.

Australia doesn't have all those problems...yet. And it certainly has plenty of its own. But the world is ever contracting it seems and the stench of globalisation has spread at an alarming rate. Its only a matter of ten or so years before the whole east coast of Australia is an overdeveloped, overcrowded estate.
Each to their own, but I recall London when it still could be largely thought of as working class. Before the "Big Boom' of mid eighties and far preferred it. It was called by one media wag 'the worst dressed city in Europe'. Fine by me, casual and far less materially inclined than Australia.
Rather enjoyed the multiculturalism of the time and the acceptance of London, how people could reinvent themselves and/or largely do their own thing. A rather accepting city unlike most others with Berlin and Amsterdam probably being the nearest equivalent of the time.

Big money, the take over of the financial sector, gentrification , lack of affordable housing in the private market, the selling of council properties, greed ...all contributed towards the situation found today. Not a city to live anymore, but still enjoy the odd week there .....
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Each to their own, but I recall London when it still could be largely thought of as working class. Before the "Big Boom' of mid eighties and far preferred it. It was called by one media wag 'the worst dressed city in Europe'. Fine by me, casual and far less materially inclined than Australia.
Rather enjoyed the multiculturalism of the time and the acceptance of London, how people could reinvent themselves and/or largely do their own thing. A rather accepting city unlike most others with Berlin and Amsterdam probably being the nearest equivalent of the time.

Big money, the take over of the financial sector, gentrification , lack of affordable housing in the private market, the selling of council properties, greed ...all contributed towards the situation found today. Not a city to live anymore, but still enjoy the odd week there .....
And I wouldn't say that Australia doesn't have these problems yet. While London is always mentioned, you do actually seem to have more choices in the UK/Europe. Even though Australia is huge, 90% of land is probably uninhabitable and most people also only really have the choice to live near the major cities due to employment. Even in Melbourne/Sydney it's all about big money, lack of affordable housing etc. so I would say the problems are there too.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
And I wouldn't say that Australia doesn't have these problems yet. While London is always mentioned, you do actually seem to have more choices in the UK/Europe. Even though Australia is huge, 90% of land is probably uninhabitable and most people also only really have the choice to live near the major cities due to employment. Even in Melbourne/Sydney it's all about big money, lack of affordable housing etc. so I would say the problems are there too.
I completely agree. Good point regarding choices. Certainly more available in UK/Europe. Looking at other areas to relocate within Australia, find one thing in common. All now over priced.

More than reason to consider the advantage of such a move.