Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

There are so many adventures to have in this world. Australia sounds like hard work with many of the same/similar issues afflicting UK ....Now if one didn't have to work a different story of course.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozziechris
It's not true in hour case but what we often see is when someone decides to emigrate the UK suddenly becomes the worst place in the world, it rains every day and when it isn't raining it's grey or there is so much crime and graffiti and e drone is miserable. Not true but it seems to make people happier with the decision they have made. A coping mechanism perhaps ?
It’s cognitive dissonance - well known concept. It is definitely a coping mechanism and imho the worse the negativity about the place they’re leaving, the bigger is their “oh s**t, what have I done?” feeling.

To the OP, if you can view it as an adventure and lose little in the process (take career breaks, rent out your home etc) then what have you got to lose? It’ll either work out as a better opportunity or it won’t. My son would be one of the Aussies who’s emigrated back again and he has little to no intention of moving back to Australia. He didn’t come to U.K. with the intention of staying but as he said quite early on - when you’ve lived in London anywhere in Australia is going to be boring. He’s very much of the mindset “life is what happens when you are busy making other plans”. From his career point of view the U.K. offers more but from yours it might be different although I thought Aussie midwives were far less autonomous. My daughter in law couldn’t get one for a home birth for our second granddaughter even though she had had a successful HB with our first granddaughter 3 years earlier.

Things do change if you have a family and all sorts of other dynamics can get in the way especially if there are kids of a certain age or dissent between partners on whether you “absolutely love it” or not - quite often, one does where the other loathes. But if you’re on your own then you’re good for the adventure but at the end of the day it’s not Britain with sunshine, it’s a foreign first world country on the other side of the world from what you’re used to.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
I have been following this post for quite some time, some of it not making too much sense to me but I guess that is because I am only at the midpoint of my emigration plans.

I have commented once or twice but are not really relevant in regards to moving to Australia being worth it or not as again, my experience is zero at the moment. I won't know until I get there and have settled in I guess?

However, it has made me think a little broader around emigration. For example, a friend of mine was talking to me over Christmas, he is an Australian; born and bred. Yet he emigrated to the UK. I always have found this quite shocking!! In my own little bubble and uneducated mind of emigration wondering; why on earth would someone move over here to the UK from somewhere like Australia?

Does anyone regret moving over to Australia? Was it what you expected? How did you find your first year?

Just curious...
I think you may have some unrealistic expectations of what Oz is and think it is some sort of utopia. It isn't. It is another first work country with all the same pluses and negatives. You still have to work, pay the bills, clean the toilet.

I am someone who spent 8 years there and then moved back. My story is a bit different to most as I had never even had Oz in my list of places I wanted to visit, then got offered a job. After 8 years, I still wouldn't have put it in my list of places to visit.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. I'm rather comfortable in Australia in material aspects, but I could leave it and not look back at all.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I think you may have some unrealistic expectations of what Oz is and think it is some sort of utopia. It isn't. It is another first work country with all the same pluses and negatives. You still have to work, pay the bills, clean the toilet.

I am someone who spent 8 years there and then moved back. My story is a bit different to most as I had never even had Oz in my list of places I wanted to visit, then got offered a job. After 8 years, I still wouldn't have put it in my list of places to visit.
If you read my other posts then you will see I stated I am under no illusions that the grass isn't greener wherever you go. It's also a place that has been on my list for a while. It's isn't a whim of a decision I can assure You!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Uhtred is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved to Oz September 2017 - partner is Australian so made it slightly easier although she had been in the UK for 10 odd years.

If the question is, is moving here still worth it? I think the only one who can answer that is the person contemplating the move. What is motivating you to come here? What do you want to achieve whilst here?

I will say now that you need to look past the travel agent images because there's a huge difference in being on holiday to actually having to live your day to day life somewhere.

I had my reasons for making the move and to be brutally honest I have questioned them a few times since I have been here. The only thing I have found similar to the UK is that it is an English speaking country! If I was to leave tomorrow I'm not sure there would be much I would miss.

End of the day we are all different and will all have different reasons/feelings/desires etc. There's only one way to find out if it is worth it though, give it a go. You only live once.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a young 22YO male visitor from the outskirts of London, staying with me at present, he is overawed with his first impressions of Melbourne. He's even saying the public transport is better which is a bit of a stretch IMO. I think it helps that I've got my 19YO boy and 23YO girl to show him around and introduce him to a very large group of local young people. I was about the same age when I came for a holiday so it's great to re live to some degree the way I felt when I first visited here.

What I'm seeing lately from a hell of a lot of people I meet lately and it's disappointing me no end, is how many people seem to have only bad things to say about London. Seems like the London I knew and loved is totally dead and buried now. Unless I've been unlucky with the people I know.

Any crux of the matter is, the worth it value really depends on the individual. My icing was my fantastic wife, we've been together now over 40 years. So twas very easy for me to say Australia was worth it. Depends on who's shoes you tread I guess.

Oh and Clacfart, you would love my wife as well..... Pysch Nurse, well used to hospitals, however the point being she hates hospital births and consequently, we had and paid in full private for all four home births for our kids. Last one cost us over 7,000 dollars and that was 19 years back.

She still knows the Home birthing network really well.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 6:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've got a young 22YO male visitor from the outskirts of London, staying with me at present, he is overawed with his first impressions of Melbourne. He's even saying the public transport is better which is a bit of a stretch IMO. I think it helps that I've got my 19YO boy and 23YO girl to show him around and introduce him to a very large group of local young people. I was about the same age when I came for a holiday so it's great to re live to some degree the way I felt when I first visited here.

What I'm seeing lately from a hell of a lot of people I meet lately and it's disappointing me no end, is how many people seem to have only bad things to say about London. Seems like the London I knew and loved is totally dead and buried now. Unless I've been unlucky with the people I know.

Any crux of the matter is, the worth it value really depends on the individual. My icing was my fantastic wife, we've been together now over 40 years. So twas very easy for me to say Australia was worth it. Depends on who's shoes you tread I guess.

Oh and Clacfart, you would love my wife as well..... Pysch Nurse, well used to hospitals, however the point being she hates hospital births and consequently, we had and paid in full private for all four home births for our kids. Last one cost us over 7,000 dollars and that was 19 years back.

London is no longer a British city. To find a real British city you need to go Liverpool, Newcastle, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc

The UK is great place but London is very overrated - I felt that when I lived there and even more now
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a London fan myself but isn't it always the case that many young people from Britain always find Australia better if they decide to go there. Even if Melbourne was a dump, a young kid would just be impressed by the weather in summer and everything else is automatically great too. The things that might make Britain great are just not interesting for many youngsters who go to certain places. Even in Spain, you'll find a different type of tourist in Bilbao compared to Benidorm. Of course London changed like any other major city but if you are interested in history it's probably still there.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to take into account the big complainers are or were in Brisbane or Perth.

Melbourne and Sydney rarely get a bad word except from those not in Sydney or Melbourne who claim its too expensive for some reason.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:18 am
Just Joined

IMcNally is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope so as we are leaving here in July.. my husband is coming first end of may but I am looking for good moving companies please if any advice on that...
Good family suburbs in Melbourne .. need to be easy access to Melbourne CBD as my husband will be commuting...
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Homebirth!!! Yes!! That is the way to do it
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Uhtred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
London is no longer a British city. To find a real British city you need to go Liverpool, Newcastle, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc

The UK is great place but London is very overrated - I felt that when I lived there and even more now
I can see why people knock London but personally I think it holds it own and is one of the better cities around. I'd definitely argue the case that it is not overrated but would agree in that London gets a majority of the press because it's the capital.

London will continue to grow and change and will naturally be different to what you remember if you've been away for a few years etc.

I've been in Brisbane for 4 months and it doesn't even come close to London.

This is coming from someone who is a Londoner born and bred.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uhtred
I can see why people knock London but personally I think it holds it own and is one of the better cities around. I'd definitely argue the case that it is not overrated but would agree in that London gets a majority of the press because it's the capital.

London will continue to grow and change and will naturally be different to what you remember if you've been away for a few years etc.

I've been in Brisbane for 4 months and it doesn't even come close to London.

This is coming from someone who is a Londoner born and bred.

I'm on the Catford and Lewisham, Plus Forest Hill remember when facebook pages and the amount of whinging about the place is depressing.

It's my aim to go back one more time. This time rent a very local Air BNB for a couple of weeks at least where I was raised, mix with some old time school friends and see how I feel. Once last chance. God knows everywhere else I've visited there left me feeling slightly cold. Plus the other factor, seeing where you come from as a tourist is a distant and disjointed feeling. Especially when you have no family left in the area.

I'm hoping to come away with a good feeling about the place, rather than put the last nail in the coffin of my old memories. 4th time visit back lucky I hope.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu

I doubt very much if London was ever a very British city in your time. That was part of the attraction. A world city on your doorstep and all the excitement and adventure that could bring.

London is hardly over rated. It is one of the true alpha city's of the world. New York would be the other. I cannot think of another city to compare.

If you felt that you must have lived in the wrong area or worse, associated with the Aussie/Kiwi/ Jarpie clique of considerable number that were still in Melbourne, Wellington, Durban at least in mind ......

Of course London was not a city for all. I've known many a person that didn't last the distance. Nothing wrong with that. If Perth is more too your liking you were obviously not made for such a city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.