Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well hang on not at all true. Too busy chasing your tails to realise just how crap it all is. Simple reason why, in the London context, the city I know best of three described, is why folk quit en mass, if at all possible by around fifty. Same applies to Paris. Usually these 'workaholic' cities develop a short shelf life over time. A massive mortgage may sound clever , but happiness and contentment are not ingredients I'd add to the pot.
Isn't it odd how the population growth numbers suggest otherwise. I think you are talking out your arse again.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Isn't it odd how the population growth numbers suggest otherwise. I think you are talking out your arse again.
What do you mean, again?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are your parents didn't have to endure the many times more a house costs compared to salary either. In the Australian context, many of that generation in the eighties, complained that interest rates were something like 18%, which of course was a pain, but house prices were around three times average earnings.

These days it is way out of sequence and a milestone around the neck not only of the borrower, but the economy as a whole, with so much wealth being sucked into housing.
And deposits were more like 30%. So just as hard to get on board and maintain that mortgage.

No different to now. Just the numbers tweaked.

But yes, the amount of debt, not only in housing but in other areas of the economy is a worry. There is no movement upward for interest rates at all, except in 3rd world countries.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What do you mean, again?
Bruce said 50 percent leave London.

Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There are plenty of sub 300K (175,000-pound houses within an hours commute of Melbourne) There are also sub 150K GBP houses. If you go 2 hours from Melbourne you get down to less than 100K or 180 Aud.

I couldn't afford to buy a house in the same area my parents raised me and that was back in 1980. I would have been in a flat or way-way out in the burbs and beyond I'm cant for the life of me understand why people in this generation en masse apparently are complaining about the exact same thing.

Do what 10,000's of people before you did back in the UK in the late 70's move to the Aussie Equivalent of Milton Keynes or Crawley from South London like all my Cousins had to. In fact, one of our workmates was commuting from Nottingham to London each day back in 1975..... This is a Telex Operator I'm talking about..... so just above the average UK income at the time. Still, he was forced out from London to Nottingham to buy a house he felt met his needs.

I can give you a full list of likely affordable houses of a similar kind in your 90-minute commute zone if you like.

The thing I see that's changed the most is peoples expectations of having it all now.

Not wanting to live with second-hand furniture, not wanting to have drive a 20-year-old car, not wanting to do two jobs to get a house.... or four in our case. Almost never eating out, Not accepting ones financial limitations. It happened to us as well. Not sure why people today cannot accept this..

I'm getting sick of the bleating, to be honest. We (the late baby boomers) had it tough as well and did it tough for close to two decades, the early mortgage then the child rearing years.. If anything it's easier to get a part-time job to boost income now.

When self-driving cars come to the fore, those that make the move now will make an absolute frigging killing..... Am I the only one that can see this, or do I have to shove this almost certain fact right down younger peoples throats?

Can you guys explain to me, why I don't see people in today's generation, working as cleaners at 4 am in the Morning before they start their main job, or working in a retail shop on weekends, or key punch operator in the evenings, whilst their wife is off work raising kids? I'm genuinely curious about that one..... That was the accepted norm back when our generation worked and toiled in order to buy our urban houses.
True, especially how people want it now, but I expect houses were not 10x income plus...and the edge of the city is getting further and further away: thats a fact. Also. the thing is, today's knowledg worker jobs are so intense it would be hard to take on another job. I have never taken on another job in my sector because I haven't got the headspace..it is not just hours working, its the sort of job workers do now. Of course, I'm talking about particular types of role..2 hours from Melbourne jobs start dying off..or the commute is unsustainable. I am not convinced houses are quite that cheap.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What do you mean, again?
Sorry Oak, a bit late 'manuring' you today. I can imagine you feel a little down without your usual supplement.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

And deposits were more like 30%. So just as hard to get on board and maintain that mortgage.

No different to now. Just the numbers tweaked.

But yes, the amount of debt, not only in housing but in other areas of the economy is a worry. There is no movement upward for interest rates at all, except in 3rd world countries.
The fact is there will be and should have been long ago to avoid the situation arrived at. It matters not really whether it is this year or next, the will rise. The RBA can only influence so far.

The fact that housing may well 'crash' come an interest rise of say normal rates, which is 7% says a lot with regards the state we are in.

No it is far harder, and a darn sight more risker housing these days. The fact that people think it a feasible option to live in metropolitan peripheries says a lot in itself. Often barren developments devoid of normal social amenities and public transport.

In other words Prozac inducing country.....
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The fact is there will be and should have been long ago to avoid the situation arrived at. It matters not really whether it is this year or next, the will rise. The RBA can only influence so far.

The fact that housing may well 'crash' come an interest rise of say normal rates, which is 7% says a lot with regards the state we are in.

No it is far harder, and a darn sight more risker housing these days. The fact that people think it a feasible option to live in metropolitan peripheries says a lot in itself. Often barren developments devoid of normal social amenities and public transport.

In other words Prozac inducing country.....
Banks risk assess on buy to live mortgages at 8% interest rate. So those who buy to live are fine. For investors bank require a massive deposit so a resale by the bank keeps them in front of any price drop.

Its all good tiger. The RBA won't be letting interests rates go for a looooong time. Too much at stake.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
True, especially how people want it now, but I expect houses were not 10x income plus...and the edge of the city is getting further and further away: thats a fact. Also. the thing is, today's knowledg worker jobs are so intense it would be hard to take on another job. I have never taken on another job in my sector because I haven't got the headspace..it is not just hours working, its the sort of job workers do now. Of course, I'm talking about particular types of role..2 hours from Melbourne jobs start dying off..or the commute is unsustainable. I am not convinced houses are quite that cheap.

Only true to an extent. People have been 'brainwashed' and manipulated to a large extent by the financial market into getting loans, often even suggested to lie on personal economic health , by brokers to get a loan.

Hard for many to resist when fed a diet of the sort of stuff they have been fed by the media and a host of vested interests.

What works when the economy is ticking alone and rates are low will certainly not apply in times of downturn.

Houses are certainly not cheap and developers have been allowed far too much leeway and have to much influence in areas where it matters.

In the case of Melbourne, they appear to be racing to overtake Sydney at some stage over the coming decades, now being the fastest growing city in the country . Just watch life quality further decline.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Banks risk assess on buy to live mortgages at 8% interest rate. So those who buy to live are fine. For investors bank require a massive deposit so a resale by the bank keeps them in front of any price drop.

Its all good tiger. The RBA won't be letting interests rates go for a looooong time. Too much at stake.

If you understand finance you would know, as I write with some repetition , the RBA has only so much influence on rates. The pressures will come when US rates rise as overseas borrowing be follow suite. Australia will hence be forced to raise rates.

It's not that they'll want to its a case of having to. Hence the rush of more recent times to attempt some 'repair' to the excessive policy of the past.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you understand finance you would know, as I write with some repetition , the RBA has only so much influence on rates. The pressures will come when US rates rise as overseas borrowing be follow suite. Australia will hence be forced to raise rates.

It's not that they'll want to its a case of having to. Hence the rush of more recent times to attempt some 'repair' to the excessive policy of the past.
You great faith in Donald Trump. Good to see.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are your parents didn't have to endure the many times more a house costs compared to salary either. In the Australian context, many of that generation in the eighties, complained that interest rates were something like 18%, which of course was a pain, but house prices were around three times average earnings.

These days it is way out of sequence and a milestone around the neck not only of the borrower, but the economy as a whole, with so much wealth being sucked into housing.

Yes true re the less value re wages, the thing is back when my father bought his place he and the majority like him were the sole breadwinners. It's one of the reasons why house prices were low, prices actually match demand and if there isn't enough cash in society to pay the prices then they stay low.

So when Women joined the workforce en masse in the mid to late 60s prices started to fly skywards. Another factor with those London houses when our family home was sold in London as those prices began to skyrocket, Those London houses and 100's around us were all converted into flats. They became two dwellings much like the old Australian suburban weatherboards today, where they get torn down and units take their place. From recollection, my father paid 2000 quid for our London house in 1954 and sold it for 17,000 pounds in 1976 just 22 years later.

My father did it much tougher than me, we certainly had very little money growing up. Yet I did the multiple jobs all the way through our early years. I don't think we had a holiday for about 7 years, even though we were working all the hours under the sun.

I do understand your point about the elite and the 1pct grabbing all the wealth, but I don't think it's as big a factor for people in their role in society and affordability as you think it is. I've got empathy for your thoughts, but I do think action speaks louder and is far more value than contemplation.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 12th 2018 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do understand your point about the elite and the 1pct grabbing all the wealth, but I don't think it's as big a factor for people in their role in society and affordability as you think it is. I've got empathy for your thoughts, but I do think action speaks louder and is far more value than contemplation.
I have no empathy for those thoughts. Its pure greed and ignorance.

In Australia the top 1% own approx 10% of the wealth yet pay approx 20% of all taxation directly. Indirectly are responsible for contributing a hell of a lot more.

In the US the top 1% pay about 50% percent of all income tax. The bottom 80% pay about 15%.

Best bear that in mind before you buy into Tabloid Troubadour
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I have no empathy for those thoughts. Its pure greed and ignorance.

In Australia the top 1% own approx 10% of the wealth yet pay approx 20% of all taxation directly. Indirectly are responsible for contributing a hell of a lot more.

In the US the top 1% pay about 50% percent of all income tax. The bottom 80% pay about 15%.

Best bear that in mind before you buy into Tabloid Troubadour
Yeah and there's no such thing as a tax haven either eh?

There will be migrants arriving in Australia this year that will eventually become multimillionaires. Thing is these days the ones that will succeed to a high level will be almost certainly SE Asians. Now why is that, what is different about the UKs and other migrants?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah and there's no such thing as a tax haven either eh?

There will be migrants arriving in Australia this year that will eventually become multimillionaires. Thing is these days the ones that will succeed to a high level will be almost certainly SE Asians. Now why is that, what is different about the UKs and other migrants?
Tax havens need to worked on from a global scale. Sanctions of sorts. Usually small countries attracting large corporations with financial incentives. The EU is already discussing this.

The shallow diarrhea leveled at wealthy individuals is utter rubbish. Sure there will be evaders, rich and poor, but tax avoiding is something we all do when we fill out a tax return.

Migrants? So what? You are one, I am one. As long as they contribute more than they take away, like you and I, where's the problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.