Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 1st 2018, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Quite a humbling post if I'm honest. If I turn up in AUSTRALIA and find it's not for me. At least I have tried it. Life is valuable so why not try. The UK will always be waiting for me, as will my career in the UK (my plan is to keep my UK registration as my Australian work hours count!!)

But as I said, it's an eye opening thread. Everyone is different. We all want different things from life. Happy New year by the way
First of all, if your dream is to try living in Australia, go for it. One motto that always works "lets not die wondering". You can always return to the UK.

Secondly, what you will get here on BE is more negativity that positivity. Just the way it is. The negatives tend to get drawn to such online forums. The positives tend to be out there being positive.

I have ping ponged between the UK and Australia a number of times. I have been living in Australia for the past 7 years. I like living in the UK too but I had enough of the grey skies and opportunity beckoned in Australia at the time. Its been great for the outdoors and good for work. A good balance for me.

On the skydiving front I have a couple of mates who dive every weekend at Picton just outside Sydney. They live on the eastern beaches and drive there on Saturday mornings. Its about an hour away and motorway the whole way. Picton is a cute little town.

On the midwifery front, having a child a few years ago we chose the public system over the private because there's no guarantee of ending up with your obstetrician at the birth or even getting your own room if things are full. If bad stuff happens you end up in the public hospital anyway. The experience was fantastic and the midwife we had right the way through the pregnancy was awesome. She was there for the birth too. I have only very good things to say on the public system here.

My advice is just do it and don't die wondering.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
First of all, if your dream is to try living in Australia, go for it. One motto that always works "lets not die wondering". You can always return to the UK.

Secondly, what you will get here on BE is more negativity that positivity. Just the way it is. The negatives tend to get drawn to such online forums. The positives tend to be out there being positive.

I have ping ponged between the UK and Australia a number of times. I have been living in Australia for the past 7 years. I like living in the UK too but I had enough of the grey skies and opportunity beckoned in Australia at the time. Its been great for the outdoors and good for work. A good balance for me.

On the skydiving front I have a couple of mates who dive every weekend at Picton just outside Sydney. They live on the eastern beaches and drive there on Saturday mornings. Its about an hour away and motorway the whole way. Picton is a cute little town.

On the midwifery front, having a child a few years ago we chose the public system over the private because there's no guarantee of ending up with your obstetrician at the birth or even getting your own room if things are full. If bad stuff happens you end up in the public hospital anyway. The experience was fantastic and the midwife we had right the way through the pregnancy was awesome. She was there for the birth too. I have only very good things to say on the public system here.

My advice is just do it and don't die wondering.
You have no idea the smile you just put on my face... not because you said do it.... but because you said you can't beat the public medical care... I've delivered over 300 babies myself. I still get goosebumps.

But perhaps this is where my downfall may be... I'm an autonomous practitioner here... I deliver the babies unless immediate medical intervention is necessary. I know Australia is more obstetric but they are asking for UK midwives for this reason. So that midwives can begin to lead hospital births... I'm quite a high risk midwife. I've delivered many so I'm not sure how I would feel if an obstetrician did my job for me... but it's something I HAVE to do.

As for the skydiving.... AWESOME!! I got into skydiving because of my job. I delivered a stillbirth.... decided to do a tandem for charity that raised money for this cause... fell in love and voila, 4 months later I was a licensed solo skydiver and had raised a lot of money for my tandem beforehand.

Thank you for your reply Beoz. It has honestly lifted my spirits xx

Last edited by Clacfart; Jan 1st 2018 at 4:06 am.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I think Australia has lost a lot of it's shine.

If it's too busy in the UK, try moving domestically. I moved from London to Hove, still busy by some peoples standards, but it was a great change - and the weather south of the downs was actually very pleasant I thought.

And then ahead of Australia I'd actually prefer to move somewhere like the US, or even Germany - depends on your career I think.

I certainly couldn't imagine giving up the UK for Adelaide or Perth. Perth really is an isolated city, with not a lot to do.

My issues with Australia are the following :

-Value for Britons - when the pound was 3:1 and Australia was a lot cheaper, especially housing, then it was fantastic. When you could buy decent 3 bedroom houses in good areas for $350,000 - nowadays maybe they are $1.5m+ and salaries haven't really increased much

-Immigration - not an issue with immigration per se, but too much uncontrolled and unplanned immigration, and zero planning or action on the associated infrastructure. Many schools, hospitals, roads, services etc are seriously overloaded.

-Expense, now one of the most expensive countries in the world for many things. Food, utilities, clothes

-Nanny state mentality, though necessary given the intelligence levels of some of the bogans

-Political environment, it's a disaster area, dysfunctional and pathetic. Also too many conservatives for my liking.

I guess my conclusion is that I think the Australian cities have now got most of the problems of major world cities, without the benefits.
I am so sorry for missing your reply! I have only just come across it.

The one thing I feel I can comment on is Hove. I have two family members there. I dont like it. Brighton is probably one of the best in the UK. Especially for it's surfing (although I would argue cornwall is the best for that). I still think it's too busy and city like.

Maybe I don't quite know what I want yet... perhaps when I get to aus I will feel the same. But until I try, I'll never know. I do to want to live my life wondering. I want to DO. Regrets or no regrets. Xx
Old Jan 1st 2018, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a humbling post if I'm honest. If I turn up in AUSTRALIA and find it's not for me. At least I have tried it. Life is valuable so why not try. The UK will always be waiting for me, as will my career in the UK (my plan is to keep my UK registration as my Australian work hours count!!)

But as I said, it's an eye opening thread. Everyone is different. We all want different things from life. Happy New year by the way

Honest more than humbling I'd have thought. Only natural you'll find all shades of like and dislike and everything in between. Far more often the early years are rated positive.

I think people want basically similar things in life, but go about looking to achieve that in different ways.

Australia is a relatively easy country for UK people, having so much similar, due to what differences there are perhaps being more magnified in unexpected ways.

You've contacts already established so far easier for you. I understand the 'fishing' but your experiences will be uniquely yours and nobody else's.
Still good to read a wide spectrum of views. Whatever anyone else says, I'd take them all on an equal footing. Some love to decry 'negative' written posts for reasons only known to themselves. All views are highly relevant to catch a glimpse of the reality, as I'm sure you have been inundated with positives from family and friends already here.

A Happy and Interesting New Year to You.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 10:24 am
Banned

Ozziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember that honesty can be seen as negativity. My wife gave birth to twins 16 years ago and the experience was less than positive, left alone after the birth while bleeding, passing out twice but still released early the next day. Of course I have no doubt things have changed of course but as I say honesty or reality can come across as negativity. We also had an extremely bad experience in a Brisbane children's hospital when our eldest broke his arm. It's hard to view these things positively obviously.
Overall we enjoyed our time in Brisbane but we always felt as though we were in limbo, waiting to go somewhere else.
Like anywhere Australia suits dome and not others. Some will tell you it's all sweetness and light, others will be honest
Old Jan 1st 2018, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anzen12
When I look at the UK online papers all I read about is Brexit or the weather or complaints about a politician or a celebrity or Britain’s waning political influence in the world.
What’s left is the charm of the countryside, decent pork products , quaint villages and a short hop to explore Europe.
Australia has decent weather, people who (mostly) speak English and supermarkets that stock (mostly) similar products from back home. Its TV and magazines are as bad as the UK and the cost of things is directly related to how much you are earning (housing is expensive, but wages are high)
So, weather is (mostly) all you’ve got and I think it’s a huge incentive. I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and spent a lot of time working in Brisbane and I love the fact that I have so many outdoor choices after work whether its evenings, weekends or on holiday. Beaches, parks, bbq’s, walking through the bush, fishing, cycling, watching kangaroos – there always seems something to do.
I think for all countries depends on one's particular interests and situation, as opposed a complete opinion that is valid for all.

I lived in Perth many years ago, yes it did not have the "benefit" of all the immigrants, and all the modern sorts of problems Australia described in this thread. Jobs were plentiful, real estate affordable, great weather and lots of outdoor activities. Yes it felt far away from the rest of the world, let alone the East Coast, and "mono-cultural" but since I didn't mind the culture it was fine. Since the politics then, or now whether in Australia , Britain or US don't really affect my personal life too much, I never pay too much attention to the press.

I am curious, with all the land in Perth and Western Australia, why would real estate be unaffordable ?
Old Jan 1st 2018, 1:35 pm
Banned

Ozziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth

I am curious, with all the land in Perth and Western Australia, why would real estate be unaffordable ?
Because much of it is brown, dry and inhospitable. The majority of people dont want to live in a dustbowl in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 1:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by anzen12
When I look at the UK online papers all I read about is Brexit or the weather or complaints about a politician or a celebrity or Britain’s waning political influence in the world.
What’s left is the charm of the countryside, decent pork products , quaint villages and a short hop to explore Europe.
Australia has decent weather, people who (mostly) speak English and supermarkets that stock (mostly) similar products from back home. Its TV and magazines are as bad as the UK and the cost of things is directly related to how much you are earning (housing is expensive, but wages are high)
So, weather is (mostly) all you’ve got and I think it’s a huge incentive. I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and spent a lot of time working in Brisbane and I love the fact that I have so many outdoor choices after work whether its evenings, weekends or on holiday. Beaches, parks, bbq’s, walking through the bush, fishing, cycling, watching kangaroos – there always seems something to do.
I don't read online papers or indeed the real ones so I guess I don't have to worry myself about those things.
No, there are many many more things than just those you listed oh and the UK was recently named the second most influential country in the world, so waning..no
What do you read about when you look at Australian online papers? Awful embarrassing politicians, immigrant street gangs, the weather, the sport, pseudocelebrities ?
Old Jan 1st 2018, 1:50 pm
Banned

Perhaps the UK doesn't get enough credit from the people that live here?
I think the answer to that is a massive yes. How many times have you heard Brits complain about the country but often in a way that isn't even remotely true. There was someone on another forum complain that they couldn't handle not being able to do anything outside for 7 months of the year, now that is clearly absurd but they got lots of 'likes' for the comment. People are strange.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozziechris
I think the answer to that is a massive yes. How many times have you heard Brits complain about the country but often in a way that isn't even remotely true. There was someone on another forum complain that they couldn't handle not being able to do anything outside for 7 months of the year, now that is clearly absurd but they got lots of 'likes' for the comment. People are strange.
I agree. There is plenty to do in the UK! So that is absurd. We have the amazing British war museum (which I love)

London at Christmas is just stunning! I could make an endless list haha but I won't because I don't want to convince myself I shouldn't be emigrating
Old Jan 1st 2018, 5:19 pm
Banned

I agree. There is plenty to do in the UK! So that is absurd. We have the amazing British war museum (which I love)

London at Christmas is just stunning! I could make an endless list haha but I won't because I don't want to convince myself I shouldn't be emigrating
It's not true in hour case but what we often see is when someone decides to emigrate the UK suddenly becomes the worst place in the world, it rains every day and when it isn't raining it's grey or there is so much crime and graffiti and e drone is miserable. Not true but it seems to make people happier with the decision they have made. A coping mechanism perhaps ?
Old Jan 1st 2018, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

On another thread in this forum I read fairly regularly how bad off the UK is economically and how it has nothing to export- yet I try to measure this against Britain's place amongst the world's economies , and size of exports, and try to figure why they say this ( though certainly pockets of the UK, especially where I am from in Northeast are economic basket-cases).

I think perhaps a comfort mechanism to make up for those things they will miss about home when emigrating.

The weather, well yes I can see that, and housing prices, but the Northumbrian coast is quite enchanting and somewhat more civilized than many coastal areas I have been to around the world.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

It's not true in hour case but what we often see is when someone decides to emigrate the UK suddenly becomes the worst place in the world, it rains every day and when it isn't raining it's grey or there is so much crime and graffiti and e drone is miserable. Not true but it seems to make people happier with the decision they have made. A coping mechanism perhaps ?
Perhaps it could be a coping mechanism like you say. For me, I just need to do it. My career would benefit from it even if I don't stay. Life is about experiences.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 6:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by morpeth
On another thread in this forum I read fairly regularly how bad off the UK is economically and how it has nothing to export- yet I try to measure this against Britain's place amongst the world's economies , and size of exports, and try to figure why they say this ( though certainly pockets of the UK, especially where I am from in Northeast are economic basket-cases).

I think perhaps a comfort mechanism to make up for those things they will miss about home when emigrating.

The weather, well yes I can see that, and housing prices, but the Northumbrian coast is quite enchanting and somewhat more civilized than many coastal areas I have been to around the world.
Exactly, it doesn't matter how inaccurate the comment is they tell themselves it is true and others will agree sith them, it's baffling. I hear all the time how the UK doesn't make anything any more, they are irrelevant in the world, the most amazing just recently someone said the UK is actually down around the 25th biggest economy not 5th or 6th that us actually is. It's actually quite sad that these people want to believe it to make themselves feel better.
Nowadays I don't even see the weather as a huge negative anymore and house prices compared to Australia..virtually no difference.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Exactly, it doesn't matter how inaccurate the comment is they tell themselves it is true and others will agree sith them, it's baffling. I hear all the time how the UK doesn't make anything any more, they are irrelevant in the world, the most amazing just recently someone said the UK is actually down around the 25th biggest economy not 5th or 6th that us actually is. It's actually quite sad that these people want to believe it to make themselves feel better.
Nowadays I don't even see the weather as a huge negative anymore and house prices compared to Australia..virtually no difference.
The internet world is amazing to see the beliefs people come up with about many matters, increasingly I think perhaps some sort of critical thinking test should be passed before people can vote.

The UK does have problems to be sure, but could be a lot worse ( and maybe will be).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.