Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia in September - Tax query

Moving to Australia in September - Tax query

Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Australia in September - Tax query

Hi everybody, this is my first post here and need some advice.

I have a Parent Visa (Permanent Residence) 143, and will be moving to be near my daughter towards the end of September NW of Melbourne.

I'll be transferring the proceeds of my house sale to my NAB a/c, but my concern is that as that money won't immediately be used to buy another property (which won't be ready for 12 months so I'll be staying with my daughter) will the Australian Tax Office treat it as earned income for Tax purposes?

Thanks for any advice.

Old Aug 14th 2019, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Australia in September - Tax query

Originally Posted by Wolly

I'll be transferring the proceeds of my house sale to my NAB a/c, but my concern is that as that money won't immediately be used to buy another property (which won't be ready for 12 months so I'll be staying with my daughter) will the Australian Tax Office treat it as earned income for Tax purposes?
No they won't. You will only have to declare any interest you earn on the money once you become resident in Oz on your annual tax return. Next one is June 2020

Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Australia in September - Tax query

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
No they won't. You will only have to declare any interest you earn on the money once you become resident in Oz on your annual tax return. Next one is June 2020
Thanks for the information. That's a relief!