Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia as a qualified electrician?

Moving to Australia as a qualified electrician?

Old Feb 16th 2015, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Dz1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Australia as a qualified electrician?

hi all I was hoping if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I'm 21 years old fully qualified electrician looking to move to Aus this time next year and just looking for which direction I should go to move out there, I'm thinking of going for a year to start and go from there if I enjoy it stay longer.

From what I know my qualifications don't mean much over their and that I will have to undergo a course on there electrical regulations for Australia. Do I do that course here in Britain or over in Aus? Is this the only think I have to do to become a licensed spark or is there more of a process than that?

From talking to a friend that looked into moving over there a skilled person carnt work on a a 12 month visa and that I will have to get The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) which I 4 years I think is this true?

Also I'm getting confused on sponsorship and nomination what is the difference and which one is the better option?

Any answers and tips on which way I should go about it I'll be grateful for.

Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia as a qualified electrician?

Visas first.
There are a number of options. The first is a working holiday. This is a 12 month visa which allows you to live and work in oz for a year, and if you comply with some conditions such as spending 3 months working in a regional area, you can get a second one. However, you can only work for one employer for 6 months.

The second is a 457 visa. This is a sponsored visa and requires you to find an employer willing and able to sponsor you (note not every employer can). This is valid for 4 years. However, it is tied to the employer and if you lose your job, you only have 90 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country.

The next option would be skilled migration. There are a number of possible visas and these give rise to permanent residence. However, they are not cheap or quick to obtain and require a number of hoops to be jumped through. As an electrician, you would be eligible as the occupation is listed as eligible. However, one of the hoops would be to pass a skills assessment. This will require a period of time employed in your trade post becoming qualified - I think it is 3 years for a electrician.

Licensing for electricians varies by state. But, I know for WA for example, you need to undergo a period of work as a trade assistant and complete a log book. A bit like being back as an apprentice. Though I am sure Old Sparkies will come along on comment further.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

The 12 month visa then will I still have to do the course to become a licensed spark ? Iv also heard about a practical log book like the nvq you have to do here, do you have to do that over in oz as well as the course?

Cheers
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to work as a spark, you must be licensed. This is totally seperate from the visa.

The log book requirements vary by state. So, you will need to research. You need to remember Oz is not like the UK. Each state is semi autonomous and sets its own rules.

However, generally, it is not worth going down the licensed route for a working holiday visa as the time and costs are not worth it.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Right thanks for that. So if I'm just going on a working holiday, technical I can just go out when the visa comes with no other qualifications to what I have got no and work as a unlicensed spark ?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

You could work as a trade assistant. But, you can only work for one employer for 6 months.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help stormy. Another question hah do I need to apply to tra to assess my qualifications to work over there as a ta ? And is there an Easyer way once in oz to get my license. Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2015, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

The skills assessment is nothing to do with licensing. So, if you are coming on a whv, then there is no point in gaining a skills assessment. You need to gain the licensing.

The skills assessment is only needed if you intend to apply for a permanent visa.

Do be aware that many sprks with a full permanent residence visa find it difficult to find work as a ta.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 12:53 am
Just Joined

herobear69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there DZ1993

Im in the same boat as you except further along in the process

If you just fancy experiencing Australia for a year or so I'd recommend simply getting a working holiday visa and working as a trade assistant (there version of an electricians mate) but as mentioned above you can only work for 6 months for one employer, you'll also need a white card (there version of CSCS) this is easy to obtain in either Britain or Australia and costs can differ, I think mine is costing me about 50$ or 25 quid, if you actually fancy going all the way and becoming a fully licensed spark here then strap yourself in, it isn't easy! you'll need something Called an offshore technical skills record (OTSR) this can be obtained in England and for it you'll be required to do a portfolio of work you've done in England and collect references and bank statements and stuff, if you're serious I'd start collecting now! after you're portfolio goes through you then take a theory and a practical exam (I'm about to do my Exam part in Brisbane!!) and if you pass you'll get an OSTR, It doesn't end there tho, an OSTR will allow you to get a provisional license in Australia where you can work under supervision, to get the full A grade you'll need to do some gap training which will involve a log book and 3 to 12 months experience (I'm vague on this bit as I haven't done it myself) and then you have to take an exam called certificate III
Finally after that I believe you can get your A grade (Australian version of a ECS gold card)

However it doesn't end there, this will simply get you licensed as a spark here. if you actually wanna settle here permanently you'll need to get a visa, you have an advantage as your under 30 so you can have a working holiday visa. once your over here you can look at getting another visa to allow you to stay such as PR or 457 skilled migrant visa.

I would highly recommend finding a gap training company in England to help you with the process, I used a company called train4gap, they do charge and there is nothing they can do that you can't do yourself but they will hold your hand through the process and give good advice.

I hope all this helps

to sum up

Get saving

Get researching

Get collecting evidence

and don't lose faith at the work load, its doable
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply herobear helped me out that cheers. That was what i was thinking of going over for a year and working as a ta on a working holiday.. I was looking at Brisbane Is there and rules and regulations I need to no before I make the move.. Allso when I'm out there and if I chose I want to stay and get my license is it as difficult to get one out there whilst working sorry for all the question just want to get it clear before I start applying � ����
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:05 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dz1993
Thanks for the reply herobear helped me out that cheers. That was what i was thinking of going over for a year and working as a ta on a working holiday.. I was looking at Brisbane Is there and rules and regulations I need to no before I make the move.. Allso when I'm out there and if I chose I want to stay and get my license is it as difficult to get one out there whilst working sorry for all the question just want to get it clear before I start applying ������
If you haven't found it yet, there is a lot of information I n the Electricians Section - Electricians - British Expats - that may help you.

To apply for a license in QLD, you would need either an Australian qualification, an ARTC or an OTSR (thank you google) - https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/lice...eas-applicants

TRA no longer issue ARTC's so that leaves the Australian Qual or OTSR. You may be able to get a local TAFE or RTO to evaluate your quals, references and other evidence to issue you cert III via RPL, but OTSR may still be the easiest option.

However, with OTSR as already said, you'll only be able to get a supervised workers registration, you'll need to sign up to gap training, and you'll need to complete a variety of work in either e-profiling or by logbook to get signed off for cert III and full license.

If you have a look in the electricians section you should find some recent threads for QLD.

ETA - Sorry, just remembered your age - Vetassess or similar who issue OTSR's require 3 years experience after completion of a 4 year apprenticeship - check Vetassess - http://www.vetassess.com.au/Skills-A...de-Occupations - and their guides available

Re-edit - just looked at Vetassess and that may now have changed to 5 years total which includes time spent training - http://www.vetassess.com.au/Portals/...ence_Guide.pdf

The downside would be that you are unlikely to score enough points for a PR visa for some time under either scenario - check DIBP or Skill Select

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 23rd 2015 at 9:19 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:23 am
Just Joined

herobear69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure when I went through train4gap they said it was a minimum of 2 years and I dont know if you can include apprentice training, It would be best to ask around some gap training companies in England, I went to an Australian expo held in London and thats where I got in touch with Train4gap, the guys were pretty helpful there and seemed to know there stuff
Old Feb 24th 2015, 6:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herobear69
I'm sure when I went through train4gap they said it was a minimum of 2 years and I dont know if you can include apprentice training, It would be best to ask around some gap training companies in England, I went to an Australian expo held in London and thats where I got in touch with Train4gap, the guys were pretty helpful there and seemed to know there stuff
Gap training companies are after your money. If you want the correct answers, Vetassess will answer any questions for free. Their criteria used to be 3 years post apprenticeship, or 7 years for a RPL route. Only info I could find today was 5 years total. Still without points for experience, getting enough points for a PR visa is slim.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys got quite a clear idea of what its all about. Just going to go on a whv and work as a ta for now and go from there 😊 so just to clarify I can just go out there as I am with a working hol visa. Apply for a white card and work anywhere as a trade assistant or an unlicensed spark but only for 6 months at one company ect ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.