Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to Australia as a newly qualified midwife

moving to Australia as a newly qualified midwife

Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

studentmidwife1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Australia as a newly qualified midwife

Hi everyone, this is my first post so bare with me.

I am half way through my second year of a midwifery degree, my fiance and I are thinking of moving to Australia as soon as i have qualified, in the hope of working as a registered midwife there.

I have read a few post with similar questions. and have read some of the differences between the aus healthcare system and that of the NHS. My question is would it be better to move to aus as a newly qualified with no experience, or would it be better to work in the UK of a year or so and build up my knowledge base and then make the move?

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Gerbera_Daisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Australia as a newly qualified midwife

Would be interested in seeing the answers to this myself.

The idea would be to do my preceptorship in the UK then hopefully secure a job in QLD however any jobs I've seen recently anywhere near me in the UK have been for Band6 midwives, no Band5 places making it almost impossible to practice!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be better off doing your first year preceptorship in UK before coming here x
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:34 am
Just Joined

danielcheong4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not a midwife but I came from the NHS to work here, I think you would stand a better chance of finding a decent job if you gain experience in the UK for at least a year before coming out here.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:47 am
Just Joined

mrnmrsaldred is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Im a student midwife too in a similare situation! We will both be on the list of skilled jobs for a visa and are looking to emigrate over to Perth in 2016. We have lots of family and friends out there and are in two minds whether to work for a year or so or just go straight out once qualified with maybe 3 months experience.... Would be nice to keep in touch though!
Old May 9th 2013, 9:07 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Ladies,

I'm a midwife and came to oz straight after finishing my mid training in uk. I became a grad here (similar to the PREP year in uk) but these are really hard to come by these days and many that qualify here in oz, don't get jobs as no funding to employ them!!

I'd do at least 1 year practice before you come over then you'll be employed with no probs. That said, anything you consolidate will not be recognised when you get here and you may have to repeat here! If you can deal with the fact that you'll lose most of your autonomy, then come to oz. I struggled with it and still do, but I love oz so put up with the lack of autonomy and just go to work with the mindset of 'I just do this to pay the bills'! Midwifery here is hard to feel passionate about!! Some midwives get a bit more satisfaction if they caseload but you'll need some experience before you can do that here.

good luck! Happy to answer further questions...
Old May 27th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your help! I now have we dilemma of finding an area to move to!! Any ideas!? X
Old May 27th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Di90 I've been looking and seen similar things regarding autonomy, how bad is it? Is it similar to a nurses role in the UK I.e. the doctors give the orders as you follow?

Also do you get te opportunity to practice suturing, cannulation, I'VE drugs etc? Thanks xx
Old May 29th 2013, 11:20 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by studentmidwife1990
Di90 I've been looking and seen similar things regarding autonomy, how bad is it? Is it similar to a nurses role in the UK I.e. the doctors give the orders as you follow?

Also do you get te opportunity to practice suturing, cannulation, I'VE drugs etc? Thanks xx

Cannulate maybe, suture maybe, IV drugs yes. It all depends which hospital you work at and if the midwives there do the above. A lot of midwives here don't seem too bothered if there are trained in the above. They just get the doctors to do it!! Regarding the amount of autonomy at different hospitals, I recently posted this on another thread -

Which hospital you choose depends what area you choose to live in or if you are happy to commute.

Avoid private as they are know as caesarean palaces here and very obstetric lead!

If you want caseload and a fare bit of autonomy, work at Geelong hospital, Casey hospital or sunshine hospital. I believe they suture, cannulate ect..

Box hill and the Angliss hospital are fairly good and have some autonomy. Avoid the northern hospital - has a bad reputation in Melbourne!!

The women's, Mercy and Monash are all tertiary hospital where all the really high risk pregnancies go and obstetrics led. Though Mercy do have a birth centre!

There are other smaller hospital but not sure of their practices. Ask them lots of questions when they interview you, to make the right choice for you!

Last edited by di90; May 29th 2013 at 11:24 am.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Di90, that's helped me sooo much!! x
Old May 29th 2013, 1:28 pm
finally in melbourne

No worries! Australia offers a great lifestyle compared to the uk, so if your prepared to forgo some/alot of autonomy and enjoy life, then come!!! Otherwise consider New Zealand, it offers all the autonomy that the uk does.
Good luck with it all xx
Old May 29th 2013, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of New Zealand! One of my cohort went to NZ straight after qualifying and found it extremely medicalised. She stayed a year and in that time never delivered a baby! Tried Melbourne and found it very similar so went back to the UK feeling very unskilled x
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Lulu83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would just like to say thanks....I am in exactly the same situation (third yr midwifery student in UK (direct entry)) and planning on emigrating to Melbourne once qualified. Your comments have really helped me with regards to the hospitals in the area and how they work...I am so clueless though so if anyone could give me info about how they have gone from UK to Oz I would really appreciate
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lulu83

I've just replied to your other post

If you,have any other specific questions just ask. Also, as I have said in my other reply, have a look at the nursing forum on here. There are quite a few people just gone through or are going through the registration process who will no doubt be able to give you info x

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72