Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to Australia advice needed

moving to Australia advice needed

Old Aug 31st 2015, 10:46 am
Just Joined

conkerb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Australia advice needed

Hello guys and gals shortly I'm going to be a qualified electrician im 24 me my partner and 2 kids want to make the move I've read so much into it on the visa site etc just still a little confused. We want to go to cairns for a number of reasons. Can anyone help ? Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2015, 11:14 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Australia advice needed

Originally Posted by conkerb
Hello guys and gals shortly I'm going to be a qualified electrician im 24 me my partner and 2 kids want to make the move I've read so much into it on the visa site etc just still a little confused. We want to go to cairns for a number of reasons. Can anyone help ? Thanks
I seem to recall there being a requirement for 3 years post qualification experience for the skills assessment. Check out Vetassess for criteria for the skills assessment. If you can pass that - it comprises of a qualification and reference check followed by a practical assessment if successful similar to AM2.

If you think you can pass the assessment, you also need to see if you have enough points for a visa - you may need more experience before you can do this. Check out the DIBP website - Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Finally, there is also the expense. A visa application for 2 adults and 2 children is around $8k. Then there are medicals, police checks, flights, international removals, etc and start up funds. I would guess my move cost around £20k with another £20k on bridging the gap between arrival, and getting employed. You also need to be aware that you will only gain a supervised workers license initially until you complete a period of supervised experience here, plus gap training. Not sure on NT requirements but google should be able to help. There's also an electricians section to the forum, but not many NT sparks around.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 11:36 am
Just Joined

conkerb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I seem to recall there being a requirement for 3 years post qualification experience for the skills assessment. Check out Vetassess for criteria for the skills assessment. If you can pass that - it comprises of a qualification and reference check followed by a practical assessment if successful similar to AM2.

If you think you can pass the assessment, you also need to see if you have enough points for a visa - you may need more experience before you can do this. Check out the DIBP website - Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Finally, there is also the expense. A visa application for 2 adults and 2 children is around $8k. Then there are medicals, police checks, flights, international removals, etc and start up funds. I would guess my move cost around £20k with another £20k on bridging the gap between arrival, and getting employed. You also need to be aware that you will only gain a supervised workers license initially until you complete a period of supervised experience here, plus gap training. Not sure on NT requirements but google should be able to help. There's also an electricians section to the forum, but not many NT sparks around.
That's brilliant by the time we leave we will have about 30k gbp saved so will be ok I've done an assessment on the basis of me having the experience etc and we managed to pass all the needed requirements the only visa it said I wasn't eligible for was the family visa as I don't have family in oz. Were planning on renting. Hopefully a nice finished property so we dont have the removal cost etc
Thanks
Old Sep 1st 2015, 10:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conkerb
That's brilliant by the time we leave we will have about 30k gbp saved so will be ok I've done an assessment on the basis of me having the experience etc and we managed to pass all the needed requirements the only visa it said I wasn't eligible for was the family visa as I don't have family in oz. Were planning on renting. Hopefully a nice finished property so we dont have the removal cost etc
Thanks
Sorry - I should have said QLD not NT before

Not sure if you will find many long term fully furnished properties - probably worth getting quotes for shipping as buying new here can also be expensive. There are some posters around from that part of the country so perhaps they can offer some advice on costs

If you haven't yet qualified as an electrician though, not sure that you can pass the skills assessment. Vetassess are very helpful though if you contact them. What qualifications do you have?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

When you qualify for your visa then you should apply for your Permanent Residency visa. If you all pass the medicals etc you will then have to send your Electrical certs off the Australia (you will have to also pay for this part of your application) for them to verify that you are a qualified Electrician in the eye's of the Australian Government you will then should be granted a visa of which you pay for. When you arrive in Australia to whichever State you decide you will then have to sit an exam and attend college to gain your Australian A grade license until then you will not be able to work as an Electrician, you will also have to pay for the college and exam and your certificate, once you have completed all of that you will then be become an Australian A Grade Electrician. So complete your Electricians course first and then apply, if it were me though I would look at other areas as well as Cairns just a couple of reasons why I would look elsewhere as well. Cairns can be very very humid, its a small place so you might have to really look for work, it is a hike to get to other areas of Australia from there and it can be expensive as it is a tourist area, other than that it is a pretty place. I would also certainly be careful on your budge as £30 might sound a lot but after paying for flights, visa's and the chance of not having work for a while will certainly eat into that money, furnished rental properties are expensive and if you want a decently furnished property you will pay a bit more for that. Exciting times, good luck and hope all turns out well.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,

When you qualify for your visa then you should apply for your Permanent Residency visa. If you all pass the medicals etc you will then have to send your Electrical certs off the Australia (you will have to also pay for this part of your application) for them to verify that you are a qualified Electrician in the eye's of the Australian Government you will then should be granted a visa of which you pay for. When you arrive in Australia to whichever State you decide you will then have to sit an exam and attend college to gain your Australian A grade license until then you will not be able to work as an Electrician, you will also have to pay for the college and exam and your certificate, once you have completed all of that you will then be become an Australian A Grade Electrician. So complete your Electricians course first and then apply, if it were me though I would look at other areas as well as Cairns just a couple of reasons why I would look elsewhere as well. Cairns can be very very humid, its a small place so you might have to really look for work, it is a hike to get to other areas of Australia from there and it can be expensive as it is a tourist area, other than that it is a pretty place. I would also certainly be careful on your budge as £30 might sound a lot but after paying for flights, visa's and the chance of not having work for a while will certainly eat into that money, furnished rental properties are expensive and if you want a decently furnished property you will pay a bit more for that. Exciting times, good luck and hope all turns out well.
It is not possible to gain an A Class License without a period of supervised employment regardless of state. It is possible to work as an unlicensed electrician in NSW.

You will not be eligible to apply for a visa without first passing a skills assessment - for electricians they are required to complete a tradeset report and send this with their qualifications and references for assessment before sitting a theory / practical exam if from the UK. If successful an OTSR will be issued which can be used for the visa application (and yes you need to pass medicals). The OTSR is also used to obtain a supervised workers license at which point you also need to undertake gap training on Australian wiring rules, Health and Safety, etc and you also need to gain Australian experience which requires supervision. Some states require additional testing - Capstone for example - and some states allow supervision to be indirect (ie, you do not have to have someone looking over your shoulder the whole time).

On the plus side, visas for electricians have not been anywhere near there limit the last couple of years