Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to australia

moving to australia

Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: moving to australia

Originally Posted by 0703500
i am a student nurse in a hospital and am still at uni aswell i finish my training in 2 years and am looking to relocate to queensland but i am reading bad things on this forum about people coming back so i am now having doubts as to wether to go i need the truth from you guys about queensland what is it like what shops do you have what are the schools and colleges like for my kids what is nursing like in oz help me out here guys any info would be appreciated
Queensland is great, but make sure you check out how the system works for nurses and the pay.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As well as the very good Nurses forum there is also this thread running at the moment. You may also want to check out the immigration forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32 Loads of great advice there.

Welcome.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:11 pm
twink

0703500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Queensland is great, but make sure you check out how the system works for nurses and the pay.
who would i get in touch with as regards to pay and system????????
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:17 pm
twink

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Absolutely.....

You've got nothing to lose but a couple of thousand pounds & some sleep
its just a shame i have to wait at least another 2 years but hey ho that gives me time to get the background info and save a bit more money put the house on the market and get my degree sounds alot doesnt it but i have been assured it will fly by.

what do you guys do for clothes out there i dont do designer labels so thats fine i just like shorts and a cheapy top from asda george and few bangles and a necklace and im good to go haahhaha
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:28 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

who would i get in touch with as regards to pay and system????????
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/salary.asp

That should give you most of the details you need! Bear in mind that pay in private hospitals is slightly lower.

Roster flexibility varies from ward to ward but most wards run on 8 hour shifts:

07:00-15:15
15:00-23:00
22:45-07:15

some do 12 hour shifts:
06:45-19:00
18:45-07:00

..and some do a mix of the above ( I dont know whether these are global standards or not?)

Some NUMs (Nursing Unit Mangers) will be quite flexible with rostering and allow you to set up a convenient routine like "Cant work wednesday or thursday evenings" - Others will screw themselves and see lots of resignations simply because they force all staff to be available for all shifts and show no flexibility (My wife has a lunatic boss like this). Its really the luck of the draw!!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:52 pm
twink

Originally Posted by DadAgain
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/salary.asp

That should give you most of the details you need! Bear in mind that pay in private hospitals is slightly lower.

Roster flexibility varies from ward to ward but most wards run on 8 hour shifts:

07:00-15:15
15:00-23:00
22:45-07:15

some do 12 hour shifts:
06:45-19:00
18:45-07:00

..and some do a mix of the above ( I dont know whether these are global standards or not?)

Some NUMs (Nursing Unit Mangers) will be quite flexible with rostering and allow you to set up a convenient routine like "Cant work wednesday or thursday evenings" - Others will screw themselves and see lots of resignations simply because they force all staff to be available for all shifts and show no flexibility (My wife has a lunatic boss like this). Its really the luck of the draw!!!
were i am we work 7am till 3 or 12.30 till 8.30 or 1.30 till 9.30 and 7.30 till 7 am and we do 12 hours to 7 am till 7.30 pm so it pretty much the same and we have sisters on the ward or managers that are like this aswell my first placement was horrendous and i spent half of it in tears but this placement is fab everyone so nice to one another like you say luck of the draw. i gonna contact the queensland health authority and see what they can tell me as well it never hurts to do the maths before you go ay!!!!!!!