Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to australia

moving to australia

Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:47 pm
twink

0703500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to australia

i am a student nurse in a hospital and am still at uni aswell i finish my training in 2 years and am looking to relocate to queensland but i am reading bad things on this forum about people coming back so i am now having doubts as to wether to go i need the truth from you guys about queensland what is it like what shops do you have what are the schools and colleges like for my kids what is nursing like in oz help me out here guys any info would be appreciated
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to australia

Originally Posted by 0703500
i am a student nurse in a hospital and am still at uni aswell i finish my training in 2 years and am looking to relocate to queensland but i am reading bad things on this forum about people coming back so i am now having doubts as to wether to go i need the truth from you guys about queensland what is it like what shops do you have what are the schools and colleges like for my kids what is nursing like in oz help me out here guys any info would be appreciated
Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly - there's a special section of the site for nurses thinking of emigrating (not just to Oz, but anywhere) - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72 . Can't help you with schools and colleges in Queensland, though I suspect it's like anywhere on the planet - good and bad ones. Shops are shops are shops - whilst Oz has equivalents to most labels/shops - if you can't get by without specific UK brands like Next or M&S then emigration probably isn't for you.

Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Do lots of research but stay out of the MBTUK forum.
What sort of age are you, do you have family commitments etc, why do you think Oz is for you, can you cope with leaving your friends & family behind.
There are loads of things to consider & don't be put off by those who have tried it & found it was not for them 'cos you won't know if you don't try!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 0703500
Hey!! you said all that without pausing for breath!!

Obviously spelin and punktuation is no longer rekwired for medsun??
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:38 pm
twink

Originally Posted by justsarah
Hey!! you said all that without pausing for breath!!

Obviously spelin and punktuation is no longer rekwired for medsun??
hey cheeky when i type something i forget to put in punctuation sometimes coz if i loose my thread i have lost it thats it haha anyway i am sooooo excited about going. and i tend to write in text message 2 as u probs noticed haha and anywqay thats what spell check is for hahaha n i dont bovvar wiv that on hre haha
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:44 pm
twink

Smile Re: moving to australia

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Do lots of research but stay out of the MBTUK forum.
What sort of age are you, do you have family commitments etc, why do you think Oz is for you, can you cope with leaving your friends & family behind.
There are loads of things to consider & don't be put off by those who have tried it & found it was not for them 'cos you won't know if you don't try!

i am 39 nearly and my 3 older kids r grown up and may not be going with me but my 2 younger ones 13 and 9 will be going with me and my hubby. i have emigrated once to spain and i did not like it i wont bore you with the details but i was less than happy there it was lovely in the sun but the stuff that came with it was not home for me and im not talking about money. I only went coz my mom badgered me to and she is still there. anyway i put in to go to oz when my 19 yearold daughter was born but i divorced and did not want to go on my own. my 2nd hubby would go to the end of the earth for me and when i have qualified we are hoping to go then in aprox 2 years
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

dont forget when you read the negative threads the people who write them are probably are just unhappy with their situation living in oz as a whole, and not particularly queensland.......... and their unhappiness could be caused by a number of reasons, which when they return to the uk they mostly realise its not oz thats causing the unhappiness, usualy distance from friends and family etc, you've got to make your own decisions and give it a go for yourself, and stay off the negative parts of the website, as this will only lead you to read the bad and not the positives of oz, which at this point you need more!!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:27 pm
twink

Originally Posted by lisaroo
dont forget when you read the negative threads the people who write them are probably are just unhappy with their situation living in oz as a whole, and not particularly queensland.......... and their unhappiness could be caused by a number of reasons, which when they return to the uk they mostly realise its not oz thats causing the unhappiness, usualy distance from friends and family etc, you've got to make your own decisions and give it a go for yourself, and stay off the negative parts of the website, as this will only lead you to read the bad and not the positives of oz, which at this point you need more!!!

i have a mate in brissie and he came back to england see the olds and stayed for 3 years did a bit of work and then went back and he emailed me a few days ago and he says he is nice and tanned up and never been happier he moved there with a few quid in his pocket and built up a business and that was over 20 years ago and he loves it he even has the accent now. anyway he been trying to get my hubby to go for years and now he finally wants to but it all rests on me passing as a nurse no pressure like haha we have been lucky so far i dont know why i want to go really i have just always felt i belong there dont ask long story anyway i have seasonal affective disorder so this cold grey dull dark rainy condition we call a country THE UK is no good for my health i am dead 6 months of the year. so i would benefit from this the kids would benefit from the fresh air and the lifestyle and culture there and i think it would give us all a good life. I dont do named brands for clothes just the 2 - 3 quid sun tops from asda and shorts a pair of sunnglasses and flip flops and thats me hahaha i have nevr been drawn to expensive stuff i like vale for money not simple daft logos of OTHER PEOPLES NAMES they should pay you to were them haha. anyway i have rambled i just know i have got to get outa here before i go stark raving bonkers i am saving hard and when we sell the house that should be good too there is still lots to do and to think about and i do appreciate everyones comments so far
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lisaroo
This is very true!! Its all about a balance but read all posts, good & bad because you will see for yourself where the majority of answers lean. Welcome to the site, its going to be a bumpy ride but worth it in the end!! ( excuse my OH and his sarkyness earlier!!!) I read your thread without taking a breath too!!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:59 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I never read the Moving Back to the UK Forum but can imagine that the issues revolve around money and cultural difficulties.

We're Brits living on the GC, this is the fourth country we've lived in - it's the best and the easiest one so far.

I think if you get your finances sorted out you'll stand a good chance of success - stick it out for a decent pay offer and don't over-stretch yourself on mortage/rent.

The other thing is learning to adapt and to accept that your real homeland is far away and it's ok to miss it.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:23 pm
twink

hiya guys i am gratefull for any of the comments made on here as this is such a big move and no offence taken at the sarcy coments haha. we are looking at gold coast seems the place to be so any comments around here are fab for starters
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:11 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Crikey Mate! Gold Coast is definitely the flavour of the year seems like everyone is coming here! Not hard to see why though as it's such a spot-on place.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:26 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No-one can tell you whether moving to Australia will be right for you, all you can do is gather as much information as you can, good & bad, & then take an educated guess as to whether you think it would be good for you & your family situation.

Some people find that they love the idea, but have to persuade their partners who aren't so keen, some find they have kids that are resistant to the idea of moving (c'est moi ) others find that once they start investigating they change their mind!

Then you find loads of conflicting advice in places like this, but bear in mind that everyone is speaking form their own experiences, that may or may not, be applicable to you.

Having said that, I hope you do give it a bash - nothing ventured, nothing gained & all that. At the moment I feel that the whole world is stacked against our family getting out there & it seems to be costing us money every time I turn around

Best of luck!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

In a ( couple of) words

If you fancy it.. Try it!!

Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:33 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
In a ( couple of) words

If you fancy it.. Try it!!

Absolutely.....

You've got nothing to lose but a couple of thousand pounds & some sleep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.