Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to acerage?

Moving to acerage?

Old Jun 10th 2017, 5:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to acerage?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's no problem for me where I am and I'd rather live here than in legoland

Each to their own
Well yes, nobody likes Legoland, but you can find a sweet spot in between.

And it depends on the land etc, if you have a nice level grassy block you can buy a ride on mower and will be fine. We had a hilly bush block and gardening normally required heavy equipment and a lorry full of mulch.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Develop some connections in farm country; most things around here are word-of-mouth. I know that there are a lot of unlisted properties and farmhouses on the block due to consolidation. Lots of corporate buyers of different farm properties and then merging them - so they don't need the houses. This also means population drain.

Make sure your research and analysis is coming from country people who understand this sort of thing, and not city people who don't know anything. I know in WA it seems most Perthies think Bunbury is in the Outback and that you need a 4WD to drive to Albany.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We're on acreage but we're not isolated, we're on the Gold Coast and about 8 minutes from the ocean. We have town water but only use if for the water dispenser on the fridge or if the tank runs out - that's happened three times in 10 years and never for more than a couple of weeks before torrential downpour. We have evaporation field for our sewage.

No more likely to be troubled by crime than anywhere else. We were burgled in 2006 but we stupidly didn't replace the locks when we moved in and we're 99% sure it was 'friends' of the previous owner. There were a couple of break ins along the road last week though.

Half of our block is bush (or trees as I like to call them), the rest is buildings, pool and lawn, easily looked after with a ride on and plenty of wood each year for the wood burner.

Perfect for us, one neighbour is close but they're on the side where we have no windows and so can ignore them and the others are at the opposite end of their block so quite a way although when he was losing his shit with another neighbour we heard it as the sound carried across the creek . Surrounded by trees and grass, wallabies, koalas, water dragons abound but each time we go anywhere we see the ocean and the hinterland and the Great Dividing Range in the distance whilst being very close to the busy stuff. Love it.