Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle Riders.

Motorcycle Riders.

Old Feb 24th 2005, 4:30 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle Riders.

This thread makes interesting reading.

I'm contemplating taking my test for a bike licence. Should i do it here in the Uk or wait till i get out to Oz ???????

How easy / Hard is it out there to get a full licence ?????

Any advice would be appreciated

Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Selling my Blackbird after the summer 'n then thats it until I get to Oz in February (next year), am looking at Brissie area. Was thinking of maybe retraining as a motorcycle instructor as have had enough of IT!!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:52 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

one point of interest to mention....

Your bike and car no claims are one and the same thing out here..... They are not separate. so an accident/ claim on one affects the other...

THe way i remember was it was separate in the UK?

Jonboy
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:01 am
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jjonboy
one point of interest to mention....

Your bike and car no claims are one and the same thing out here..... They are not separate. so an accident/ claim on one affects the other...

THe way i remember was it was separate in the UK?

Jonboy
Yeah, thats true, although I was asked by my bike insurer if I had experience riding big sports bikes before they would insure me.

If you have an accident in a car in the UK you still have to tell the insurer for your motorbike. Some UK bike insurance companies also recognise car insurance no-claims and driving history for the bike as well.

TBEB

TBEB
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:35 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I have found some sites that may help.

http://www.dropbears.com/m/mcplus/

http://www.teammoto.com.au/home.php

http://www.stayupright.com.au/

I got my license in Canberra Australia. I had to attend a weekend course, where they teach you basic motorcycle techniques. Once you pass this you can go out and buy a motorcycle (maximum 250cc). Ride it until your confident enough to do a practical test. When you pass this your on a provisional license for 3 yrs, and your still restricted to 250cc. After your 3 years is up then your ball and chain come off and you can go and buy any bike you want, and go and have more fun. My advice where ever you get your license from, try to do track days. You can learn a lot from these days, well I know I did. And you don't have to worry about idiots in cars or cops booking you, your able to concentrate on you bike riding. Hope this helps.
Jim
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:59 am
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

For those interested in bike prices I got mine from Peter Stevens, who sell most of the popular makes:

http://www.peterstevens.com.au/

You need to add $1000 on the road costs to the prices quoted, so a GSXR1000K5 is currently going for $15990, which is £6500 otr, SV650SK is £4080.

TBEB
Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:18 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

The only thing that's really different about riding down under compared to up there is the sun is hotter and the bugs are bigger, apart from that you still get the idiots trying to knock you off.

i bought a R1150GSA (BMW) when i arrived, as I'd made the move away from the supersports a few years before i came out here. Certainly no regrets with the purchase, but i don't think you could buy any bike out here and not enjoy yourself.

As previously mentioned riding round the twisty roads in the mountains looking down a verticle drop on one side of you and a cliff face on the other really adds a completely different perspective on your riding... or cornering and braking at least!!

i ride full time, so i get to play in all weathers. So far I've seen 1.5 inch hale stones (luckily i wasn't on the bike at that time!), rain you couldn't see through even when stood still, sun hot enough to turn the roads to molten tar.. (something that tends to happen a lot in the country roads!) and i'm also told to expect -5 to -8 degree C temperatures in the evenings when winter comes. But up to date i wouldn't want to ride a bike anywhere else!!

if you're coming out here with the intention of riding bikes then you're in for a treat. nothing came close to this in england... or where i road anyway.

oh yeah you just have to watch out for a few roos, police vans, drivers with no lane discipline and those big bugs. apart from that it's a ball!

vroom vroom.

Leigh
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Sophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura about

I'm coming over in May to Brisbane, and both myself and boyfriend have bikes. I've got a Yamaha FZR400, and boyfriend has a ZX7. We're both selling them before coming over though, and the plan is for me to get a zx6 and boyfriend to get a zx10. (His and hers... )

My boyfriend is from Brisbane, and advises that anyone in the area has to do the Mount Nebo-Glorious road...

Sophie
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

We are hoping to be in Brisbane early 2006. Hubby has a Yamaha Dragstar to sell, but this is being softened by the fact the Harleys rae substancially cheaper in Aus....

Happy riding ahead!