Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Originally Posted by swstephenwood
we are planning to take our suzuki bandit 1200 custom as a pile of bits to reassemble when we arrive in victoria. does any one know the procedure and details of requirements to put it back on the road legaly
You'd need to contact the local Road Transport Authority( which in your case is Vicroads) in the state that you're looking to move to regarding roadworthy requirements. I would think you'd also need your UK V5 papers with the engine number and the like on, and i would think seen as you're importing it, it would also require a complience plate, but i'm not 100% sure of this. The best people to speak to regarding this is DOTARS. Their email address is Vehicle Imports [[email protected].

Hope this helps a little.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
Hi there,

As far as your entitlement to do a bike test over here, i'm not 100% sure, but if you're here for 3 months or more, you do need to convert your licence over. I'd say you'd need to start with your learners if you don't have a full UK licence yet. The tests are quite good, you have your theory test first for your learners, once you've passed that you can then go for the 2 day practical course (that's what i was when i went for mine anyway) which covers the basics of using your bike. I'm not sure about the capacity restrictions in perth, but i know now on the east coast they allow up to 660cc with a power to weight ratio restriction. Over here getting a 400/500 capacity bike doesn't seem to be as hard as it used to be, as they only used to be over here as grey imports, usually used for things like racing etc. With the new restrictions in place it seems as though the smaller capacity bikes are a bit more of a common occurance.

If you're only over here for a year, I would say bring your helmet, although it's not officially 'legal' to do so as it's not got the Australian Standard sticker on. I used to commute every day with my helmet that i bought from the UK and hadn't been pulled over, so didn't get it checked, but provided your wearing a helmet and your not doing anything stupid, really you should be ok.
As far as converting your Australian Licence back to the UK. I never had a problem with mine, but that was over three years ago now. Provided that they haven't changed any laws since then it's easy, you go into the DVLA and just change them over, you submit your Australian licence which they will send back to the place that you got it, and it will be cancelled on the Australian side.

As far as taking your helmet on the plane. Depends on the airline you fly with, some are more careful then others. My box was all smashed up when i got mine back (helmet didn't seem to have any damage on) even though it had FRAGILE written all over it. The airline's excuse was that it didn't have THIER fragile stickers all over it, personally i don't think it would have made any difference.

I know this hasn't answered all of your questions, but i hope this has helped at least a little. Anything else that i can help with, don't hesitate to ask!
Brilliant...that's helped a lot. I don't mind doing the basic training again and starting from scratch. Does that mean I'll have to wait 3 months or can I do it straight away? It'll probably take me a month or two to get the cash together as the first couple of paychecks will probably be accounted for before I leave the UK!!

I was thinking of putting my helmet in my big bag in the hold...or is that a bad idea? Won't it be too big for hand luggage?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Hiya,

You don't have to wait 3 months. You can get your licence changed straight away and book yourself in for the course.

Personally i wouldn't put it in your big bag, as they treat these even worse then Fragile cargo. I would put it on separately. As i said, depends who you fly with, but if you let them know at check in that you have a fragile item to put on board, they usually have a seperate part of the check in to leave that with. And make sure you put their FRAGILE stickers all over it. I'd put some of your clothes around it in the box and also pack the centre of it with something as well, it can't hurt anyway!

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
Brilliant...that's helped a lot. I don't mind doing the basic training again and starting from scratch. Does that mean I'll have to wait 3 months or can I do it straight away? It'll probably take me a month or two to get the cash together as the first couple of paychecks will probably be accounted for before I leave the UK!!

I was thinking of putting my helmet in my big bag in the hold...or is that a bad idea? Won't it be too big for hand luggage?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:39 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I brought helmet over in my main luggage, completely surrounded by clothes etc, and that travelled fine. If your bag is big enough to pack around it, you will have no worries. My helmet was a schubert, which are not sold here, but recently when I had to claim a new helmet from the insurance after a spill, they queried it first of all, but after pointing them to the official website detailing the type etx, they paid out no problem.

Regarding bringing over a bike in bits, you might have a big job on your hands.

I recently had my bike rebuilt from being a being a repairable writeoff (you have repairable & statutory writeoffs) and firstly it needed to get a new roadworthy certificate, then I needed a VIV (vehicle inspection certificate @ $470.00) and then a new rego (about $500.00)
The VIV require photos from before, during and after repair is possible. All parts need invoices to ensure the parts are not dodgy or inferior, and then the bike will be tested for structural integrity. VIN number & engine number are checked at both VIV & Vic roads for the rego, which might create delays in the processing, and you will probably need to transport the bike to and from all the appointments on a trailer if it has never been registered in Australia. Aussie bikes can apply for day permits @ over $30.00 a day !

This was all for an Australian bike. Because I have a 1700cc the Rego is quite high, but count on around $1000.00 in bills to get the bike on the road minimum in Vic.

Another poster with even more experience in the matter of bringing over a bike is pommychopper. Do a search for some of his threads and you might find more info. His self build chopper took almost a year to get on the road in NWS, and Vic are definitely no easier. Sorry to sound negative, but after all the hassle I had getting back on the road, you might want to think twice about it.

The downside on things if you want to buy a bike over here, is that they are generally more expensive to buy second hand compared to the UK. New I dont think there is a great deal of difference.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:47 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

A general note for all bike enthousiasts, spares and aftermarket parts over here are bloody expensive in general. I buy 90% of my parts in the States. Ebay is good, but if you search the net, there are many sites for specific bikes in the states, which normally recommend good deals, and often have site sponsors offering discount on parts.

One example, I recently bought an alarm system costing $470.00US, here the same system costs over $750.00. Delivered in 7 days. Just remember to not spend more than $1000.00 at a time, otherwise you will need to pay duty & get customs clearance etc.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by furkew
A general note for all bike enthousiasts, spares and aftermarket parts over here are bloody expensive in general. I buy 90% of my parts in the States. Ebay is good, but if you search the net, there are many sites for specific bikes in the states, which normally recommend good deals, and often have site sponsors offering discount on parts.

One example, I recently bought an alarm system costing $470.00US, here the same system costs over $750.00. Delivered in 7 days. Just remember to not spend more than $1000.00 at a time, otherwise you will need to pay duty & get customs clearance etc.
cheers for the advice r.e. spare parts etc...luckily I know people who will be flying out to Oz a coupla months later so cn get them to bring bits n bobs with them!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:21 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
cheers for the advice r.e. spare parts etc...luckily I know people who will be flying out to Oz a coupla months later so cn get them to bring bits n bobs with them!

I brought a number of bits over in the container as well. If you are bringing a bike, or know which bike you are going to buy over here, it is well worth the effort.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

swstephenwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
You'd need to contact the local Road Transport Authority( which in your case is Vicroads) in the state that you're looking to move to regarding roadworthy requirements. I would think you'd also need your UK V5 papers with the engine number and the like on, and i would think seen as you're importing it, it would also require a complience plate, but i'm not 100% sure of this. The best people to speak to regarding this is DOTARS. Their email address is Vehicle Imports [[email protected].

Hope this helps a little.
this is just what we need thanks for the info happy biking steve
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

I'm after a bit of help from any bikers already over there in Oz. I plan on exporting my 02 XRV 750 (Afriaca Twin) in our container & I am keen to get hold of the letter of compliance before it leaves the UK. I know I don't really need it until I get there but I understand it will speed up the customs process if I have it when it lands in Australia. I am told that these letters of compliance are readily available at any Honda dealer over there and despite me e-mailing them & writing to them I have received no replies. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me by popping into their local Honda dealer and ask for a letter of compliance on my behalf...there's a beer in it for them!!!

Hope to hear back from someone soon!!

Paul
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigpaul
I'm after a bit of help from any bikers already over there in Oz. I plan on exporting my 02 XRV 750 (Afriaca Twin) in our container & I am keen to get hold of the letter of compliance before it leaves the UK. I know I don't really need it until I get there but I understand it will speed up the customs process if I have it when it lands in Australia. I am told that these letters of compliance are readily available at any Honda dealer over there and despite me e-mailing them & writing to them I have received no replies. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me by popping into their local Honda dealer and ask for a letter of compliance on my behalf...there's a beer in it for them!!!

Hope to hear back from someone soon!!

Paul
Hi Paul,

I'm not 100% sure that this is the case. As far as i'm aware, compliance plates aren't issued until it is ready for registration in the state that you're moving to as it needs to be checked for roadworthiness and things like making sure the speedo is set for Km's that sort of thing. Have you spoken to DOTARS about a compliance letter at all?

In all honesty, I didn't have any problems with importing my 1991 CBR600 through Customs (had more problems with the stupid idiot at the shipping company this end than customs). As far as i'm aware, the compliance bit only really comes into effect when you look at registering it, and not with customs itself. Provided that you haven't made any/many major modifications to it, i shouldn't see a problem with just bringing it over without the complience letter.

Not sure if anyone else has had any different information on it, but i know when i imported mine at the end of last year, i didn't need a letter, just an approval for importation which was obtained through DOTARS.

Hope this helps to a degree.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Just to confirm the above post - you don't need manufacturer letter of compliance to import your bike.

Compliance plates are issued when you apply to get your bike registered in the state you go to.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

This is exactly what I thought, we've just had a fella around to give us a quote for shipping our house over and we discussed all the paper work I have for importing my bike and he suggested I try and get a 'letter of compliance' as it would speed up the process in Oz. But as you have said, how can my bike be deemed compliant when no Australian mechanic has checked it over, I'd have thought it would be done over there even on the dockside!!!!

Thanks for your help. One more question however - when filling in the application form for approval to import http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...B10_Form08.doc

it would appear that part 8 is applicable to the likes of myself. If as it stands at the moment I am unaware of the date I will be leaving the UK and the date I land in Oz, would September 08 or even just 08 suffice in these boxes. Also did you send your log books back to Swansea before leaving the UK....questions, questions - sorry!!

Thanks again for your help!!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

This is exactly what I thought, we've just had a fella around to give us a quote for shipping our house over and we discussed all the paper work I have for importing my bike and he suggested I try and get a 'letter of compliance' as it would speed up the process in Oz. But as you have said, how can my bike be deemed compliant when no Australian mechanic has checked it over, I'd have thought it would be done over there even on the dockside!!!!

Thanks for your help. One more question however - when filling in the application form for approval to import http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...B10_Form08.doc

it would appear that part 8 is applicable to the likes of myself. If as it stands at the moment I am unaware of the date I will be leaving the UK and the date I land in Oz, would September 08 or even just 08 suffice in these boxes. Also did you send your log books back to Swansea before leaving the UK....questions, questions - sorry!!

Thanks again for your help!!!
I only just remembered to fill in the slip about permanent export about 6 months after we got here. The only reason i did that so as not to get a sorn fine

Part 8
In box 1 we put our own date of birth as born in that country.
Box 2 the date we purchased the vehicles
Box 3 was the date we left the uk so i'd imagine you would put sometime around your intended date of leaving.
Box 4 same date as box 3

Hope that helps
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help everyone...! Just out of curiosity, how long after sending your application form with all your paperwork off did you get your import approval & did you have any problems!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help everyone...! Just out of curiosity, how long after sending your application form with all your paperwork off did you get your import approval & did you have any problems!

They say around 17 days to process the application. I think it took around about that for me to get the approval. Then you'll get a copy of the import approval sent to your address in the UK and the original will be sent to an Australian address that you nominate.

I didn't have any problems at all with my approval. But my bike's just a standard 1991 CBR600 with no mods done to it. I gave it a bit of a clean so that it looked Ok, cleaned under the mud guards just to try and help there not being any problems with Quarentine (although if they want to pull it up, even being spotless wont stop them from charging you cleaning, which can be about $400). They didn't pull mine up and i just had GST to pay which was around $398 and then they released it to the shipping company, who then stuffed up and sent it down to Hobart instead of Launceston (You can imagine how happy about that i was). But if you're stopping on Mainland you shouldn't have a problem with that at all, as you'd be the one they'd release it to.

I hope this helps a little, and if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.