Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

When i get settled in ozz i plan on getting another bike.

My last bike was a ZZR 400 which i smashed and fooked my back years ago.

I see bikes are more expensive in ozz

I passed my bike test 10 years ago before the change.

Will i need to sit a test in ozz?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:48 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paul76
When i get settled in ozz i plan on getting another bike.

My last bike was a ZZR 400 which i smashed and fooked my back years ago.

I see bikes are more expensive in ozz

I passed my bike test 10 years ago before the change.

Will i need to sit a test in ozz?

drive away price for an 08 R1 $17990 (Blacktown Yamaha - Sydney) thats everything in including plates the lot - remember when haggling down the price to ensure you get the RIDE-AWAY price as with cars the extras add a whack to the final bill otherwise - it was a lower than the UK price a while back but now the dollar is so strong its around the same as UK

the key is HAGGLE HAGGLE and then HAGGLE some more

go to more than one dealership - most will work through emails as well - and play one off against the other till you get something you're comfortable with paying

re the bike test thing - we walked in to Hornsby RTA office at 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon - they were not pleased to see us present our forms to get a NSW licence that late in the day - remember to take with your passport and a utilities (confirming your Australian address in your name) or you might get away (as we did) with a referee who will sign on the form to say you are who you say you are (we did not have a utilities bill at the time) - it was so late in the day this lot just wanted to get home so they just practically threw our licences at us to get us to leave!!!!!

We both got 5 year licences at our initial family address - you can change that free anytime in future all they do is put a STICKER on the back with the new address - do this at the local RTA office.

What you have in the UK you get on your Aussie licence. Rules changed either last year or the year before. No re-tests involved. We have full car and motorcycle licences.

There's no way I could have done my test now I've got too lazy! I had enough trouble with the u-turn first time round!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by blackies
Hi all

I am new to the site & have fell upon this thread. I really need to know what is involved with importing to Melbourne. I have a 1 of a kind Duke & dont want to sell it. Will the import price be the price paid or will they try to charge more for all the bits that i have added to it. I am hoping to get my visa soon & sell our house
Thanks in advance
Hey Blackies,

Probably the best people to talk to regarding importing your bike would be Vehicle Imports at this email address [email protected]. They'll be able to advise you as to what is required for importing a vehicle and the costs that could be involved. With a motorbike you don't pay Duty, but you will pay GST which is charged at 10% of the percieved market value. (Customs calculate this figure using a magical formula) I paid just under $400 Aus for my bike that i paid 1200GBP for in the UK. The cost of shipping is also taken into account for the GST that you'll pay.

If you've owned the vehicle for over 12 months or the vehicle was manufactured before 1989 then you're eligible for importing. As far as 'upgrades' you've made to the bike, i'm not sure whether they would still be road legal over here, the best thing to do is to contact the RTA office in the state that you're looking to move to to ask them for a leaflet on what's roadlegal in that state, they should be able to send you some attachments and let you know.

You might also want to be aware that if your bike is taken into Quarentine for a thorough check to see it's not a quarentine risk, you could be up for cleaning charges (regardless of if it's clean or not) which can be up to $400+.

It's a good idea to get some quotes from different companies on shipping. I found Excess Baggage to be a very good shipper, although their Australian counterparts really let us down (then again, we are in Tasmania). But they seemed to be the most reasonably priced shipping company, the only thing was, we needed to transport the bike down to London (from Preston), I was just lucky that my husband was able to help me with this as I was in the early stages of pregnancy and it was ill advised for me to hoof around a 200 odd kilo bike!

I hope this helps you out to some extent. If there's anything that i haven't covered or you've got some specific questions, please let me know!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by simnmax
Congratulations on the Tassie baby

We where in the Isle of Man for a christening & a last piss up with my Manx racing mates when you had the last meet up.

Have your bike arrived yet? my lids & leathers land on the 26th but I've not had time to find any good roads yet, our house sale should complete this friday & a mint GSXR 1000 K5 has just been traded in at work, I had a test ride this morning & its ace, I can have it for $11,000 but I told Liz I would get something cheap first, but I really want it

Me & my brother Bob are hoping to do a track day at Eastern Creek next month using their new GSXR 600s, do you & Gary fancy a go?

Are you riding to Sydney or flying? Bob lives in Manly so we could meet up for a drink Or I'll bring a bike down, if you came into the shop you could get a test ride on the whole Suzuki, Benelli or Moto Morini range plus I heard today we are getting a MV Agusta demo bike.

Hope to see you soon
Sim
Hey Sim,

Cheers for the congrats, only 16 more weeks to go, if i think about it too much i start to freak out a little!

My bike arrived in December, and after much debarkal by the Australian shipping company, i finally recieved it sometime in January! There was much swearing and complaining going on, and a hell of a lot of email writing!

I would suggest the Old Road, but apparently they've closed that off as they're not prepared to fix the road as it needs to be fixed. As far as up around the gosford area, not sure of any roads that aren't chocked full of car drivers.

As for the offer of some test rides, Gary was definately up for it when i showed him the thread, although i'm going to have to wait for a bit, my tummy's a little too big to get onto a bike at the moment, let alone ride it effectively!

Mum was non too pleased when i got on my old little 250 and took it for a quick ride around the property! (didn't even get it out of second mind you). So to keep my mum happy, i'm going to have to wait until after the baby's born to get back on the bike

Gary's still contemplating what sort of bike he wants at the minute, i know he's thinking about either an inline 4 or a V twin, personally i'd feel safer if he was on an inline. But we'll see how he feels once he's saved up enough money to go and purchase something with two wheels.

You should enjoy your track day at Eastern Creek. I used to marshell up there for the Australian Superbikes and the Post Classic Racing association. I was a lot of fun, and i got to meet some great people. Gary and I did an advanced training day down at Oran park, it's a pretty good track, but Eastern Creek is heaps better. They're definately worth getting along to if you have a bit of extra cash, Gary'd ridden bikes for 13 years before doing the course and he said that he still learned a hell of a lot.

Anyway, sorry about the long post. So glad to hear from you. How's Max going? Is he enjoying it over here? Has he become a proper Aussie kid?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:13 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone. I pick up my new GS500 tomorrow - passed my L's last week. I've got some gear - some new, some borrowed from friends - does anyone have advice on what to wear for commuting in NSW? I'm thinking draggin jeans or similar and change at work but not sure if this is the best option.

I know it's difficult but any advice, recommendations gratefully received!

Graham
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northerner
Hi everyone. I pick up my new GS500 tomorrow - passed my L's last week. I've got some gear - some new, some borrowed from friends - does anyone have advice on what to wear for commuting in NSW? I'm thinking draggin jeans or similar and change at work but not sure if this is the best option.

I know it's difficult but any advice, recommendations gratefully received!

Graham
Hey Graham,

Congrates on getting your L's! You'll have some great fun. It's a wonderful world the world of the motorcyclist.

As for gear to commute in NSW in? I'd say something with a lot of armour personally! I used to commute in Sydney a lot, and people seem to be set on trying to kill you, so the more protection you have from the wallies, the better. I Know you can get some Draggins off Ebay that come with armour (although not sure if this is just on the UK ebay) but they're great, I would recommend something like a pair of overpants (i've got some BMW ones) as the weather can be quite unpredictable in Sydney, and they've got very good armour. Also an all weather jacket is a must, again, with arm and back armour if possible. The only thing i can say is, even when it's stinking hot outside, for the sake of your own skin, please wear your protective gear. It's all well and good when it happens to someone else, but you never know when that someone else will actually be you.

Good luck with everything, and if you want to chat, don't hesitate to contact me.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:43 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that!

At the moment I have new Shoei XR1000 helmet, new Alpinestars ROAM boots (VERY comfy!), a borrowed all weather jacket from an ex-biker work collegue (not sure what it is but has armour and removable inner lining etc) - will buy gloves and trousers of some kind tomorrow.

Not sure about ebay but have seen draggins, and another make very similar, around so may just get a pair of them. I was thinking about maybe all weather type trousers instead - cordura type stuff same as jacket - but really not sure. I guess that would negate the need to get waterproof over-trousers for the jeans.

I suppose I just need to get something and see how I go and then change/add to as I go along...

Can't wait to get on it - my 2 brothers and my Dad ride too (although my Dad not for a few years) so I'm feeling a bit left out!

Cheers,

Graham

Edit: Oh and don't worry I intend to wear proper gear at all times. It makes me nervous seeing people riding round on dukes and R1's in shorts and t-shirts - stupid! My brothers are very experienced riders and won't even go down the shops without gearing up.

Last edited by northerner; Feb 19th 2008 at 8:45 am.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northerner
Thanks for that!

At the moment I have new Shoei XR1000 helmet, new Alpinestars ROAM boots (VERY comfy!), a borrowed all weather jacket from an ex-biker work collegue (not sure what it is but has armour and removable inner lining etc) - will buy gloves and trousers of some kind tomorrow.

Not sure about ebay but have seen draggins, and another make very similar, around so may just get a pair of them. I was thinking about maybe all weather type trousers instead - cordura type stuff same as jacket - but really not sure. I guess that would negate the need to get waterproof over-trousers for the jeans.

I suppose I just need to get something and see how I go and then change/add to as I go along...

Can't wait to get on it - my 2 brothers and my Dad ride too (although my Dad not for a few years) so I'm feeling a bit left out!

Cheers,

Graham

Edit: Oh and don't worry I intend to wear proper gear at all times. It makes me nervous seeing people riding round on dukes and R1's in shorts and t-shirts - stupid! My brothers are very experienced riders and won't even go down the shops without gearing up.

Hey Graham,

That's brilliant to hear.

As for Draggins, i've got to say, they're great. I've had to use mine for their purpose once before, and although i busted my knee up, they kept my skin intact, so as far as i was concerned they did their job. That's why now if i wear my Draggins (i've got purple camo ones, so girly ) i always make sure they've got the armour that i bought with them in.

Yeah, i would get what you need as far as your safety gear, and see what works for you. You've also got one of the best makes of helmet money can buy, definately a good choice. I don't understand these people that buy the biggest and best bike, and can't even afford a decent helmet to save their head and neck should they ever require it. Personally, i'd rather pay out the big bucks for the stuff that counts and ride around on a shed for a few years!

Congratulations again and happy riding.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

christyalan is an unknown quantity at this point

My hsuband has spent a fortune rebuilding a 'Barry Sheen' GT750 Caff racer. Cost of shipping isn't too bad but we have just received real horror stories about quarantine from my cousin who emigrated to Sydney in December (they had been living in China). To leave the bike would be less hassle but it is becoming to look a really beauty.

Any tips, selling not an option really as the money spent will never be recouped. He wants to show it when we are out there so we get away at weekends and meet new people.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone know of any good Trials bike dealers in SA??

I want to get me a GasGas 300 Pro when I get over there as I have had to sell mine due to emigrating and can't wait to get back into it.

Or is this thread just for road-going bikes?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Have a quick story.

Young guy i was working with had a ninja.

I then never seen him for a while until someone told me why.

He was at a BBQ and needed to nip home.

Shorts, T-shirt and dont forget the flip flops. That was his protective gear.

Car done a U turn and he smacked the side if it going right over the roof.

Broken collar bone + gravel rash. Lived to ride another day.

Young, dumb and full of cum.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:43 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Does ayone have experience of watching MotoGP in Aussie?

Is it available on free to view?

If yes / no what is the service like on Foxtel / Austar? Is it worth the monthly fee?

Has anyone been watching it through downloads / streaming video on the internet?

All useful info welcome.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

swstephenwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: The Motorbike Thread

we are planning to take our suzuki bandit 1200 custom as a pile of bits to reassemble when we arrive in victoria. does any one know the procedure and details of requirements to put it back on the road legaly
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Hi... I've been riding in the UK for 2yrs on my CBT and really don't have the cash or time to do my license before I go to Oz.

How hard is the motorbike test in Oz? What power bike does it entitle you to ride? Am I even eligible to take the test as an immigrant? Most importantly, what will I have to do to convert back to a UK license when I return in a years time???

I was thinking of leaving all my biking gear behind but after comments on here is it worth taking my helmet? Is a gold-stickered Arai that cost me £200 so don't wanna leave it. How safe is it to take on the plane??

What is the availability (assuming i pass my test) of small capacity machines sat CB400's/500's that are quite old and cheap? I'm looking around the £1500 mark max...

Oh and I'll be in the Perth area...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi there,

As far as your entitlement to do a bike test over here, i'm not 100% sure, but if you're here for 3 months or more, you do need to convert your licence over. I'd say you'd need to start with your learners if you don't have a full UK licence yet. The tests are quite good, you have your theory test first for your learners, once you've passed that you can then go for the 2 day practical course (that's what i was when i went for mine anyway) which covers the basics of using your bike. I'm not sure about the capacity restrictions in perth, but i know now on the east coast they allow up to 660cc with a power to weight ratio restriction. Over here getting a 400/500 capacity bike doesn't seem to be as hard as it used to be, as they only used to be over here as grey imports, usually used for things like racing etc. With the new restrictions in place it seems as though the smaller capacity bikes are a bit more of a common occurance.

If you're only over here for a year, I would say bring your helmet, although it's not officially 'legal' to do so as it's not got the Australian Standard sticker on. I used to commute every day with my helmet that i bought from the UK and hadn't been pulled over, so didn't get it checked, but provided your wearing a helmet and your not doing anything stupid, really you should be ok.
As far as converting your Australian Licence back to the UK. I never had a problem with mine, but that was over three years ago now. Provided that they haven't changed any laws since then it's easy, you go into the DVLA and just change them over, you submit your Australian licence which they will send back to the place that you got it, and it will be cancelled on the Australian side.

As far as taking your helmet on the plane. Depends on the airline you fly with, some are more careful then others. My box was all smashed up when i got mine back (helmet didn't seem to have any damage on) even though it had FRAGILE written all over it. The airline's excuse was that it didn't have THIER fragile stickers all over it, personally i don't think it would have made any difference.

I know this hasn't answered all of your questions, but i hope this has helped at least a little. Anything else that i can help with, don't hesitate to ask!

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
Hi... I've been riding in the UK for 2yrs on my CBT and really don't have the cash or time to do my license before I go to Oz.

How hard is the motorbike test in Oz? What power bike does it entitle you to ride? Am I even eligible to take the test as an immigrant? Most importantly, what will I have to do to convert back to a UK license when I return in a years time???

I was thinking of leaving all my biking gear behind but after comments on here is it worth taking my helmet? Is a gold-stickered Arai that cost me £200 so don't wanna leave it. How safe is it to take on the plane??

What is the availability (assuming i pass my test) of small capacity machines sat CB400's/500's that are quite old and cheap? I'm looking around the £1500 mark max...

Oh and I'll be in the Perth area...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.