The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Barney99 will become famous soon enoughBarney99 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Originally Posted by Ian444
Hi all I've just checked this site out,
I have a BMW R1100RT on a T plate 99 which i paid £3500 for with 27000 miles on the clock, there is a 96 model on there with 187 000 km on which i work out at about 100 000 miles and they want 10 800 dollars which i think is well over
£ 4000, CHRIST!! i think i might be taking mine with me, even if it's only to sell when i get there.
Ian....
Hi, I have ben looking at beemer prices as well in Aus, and they are well expensive compared to Japanese bikes. I still fancy an F800ST though, but with a starting price of $15,000 new it may be a little steep for me!
A lot of the adverts for BMW's also seem to be from franchised dealers which keep the price up.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:13 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all I've just checked this site out,
I have a BMW R1100RT on a T plate 99 which i paid £3500 for with 27000 miles on the clock, there is a 96 model on there with 187 000 km on which i work out at about 100 000 miles and they want 10 800 dollars which i think is well over
£ 4000, CHRIST!! i think i might be taking mine with me, even if it's only to sell when i get there.
Ian....
Anyone who cant afford a harley will be looking to by a Beemer..thats why they hold their price here so well.

Most bikes will hold their second hand value more here due to the weather..
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really nice

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Anyone who cant afford a harley will be looking to by a Beemer..thats why they hold their price here so well.

Most bikes will hold their second hand value more here due to the weather..
Hi i thought that which is good unless you are in the market for buying one i think i'll be taking mine with me.
Ian.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by matteegee
Does anybody have a rough price for shipping a bike?

I've had my R6 up for sale for a couple of weeks and haven't even had a sniff. I intend to see what the dealer will give me for it and weigh that up against shipping costs. If it's more economical to ship then I will. We leave in 6 weeks.

All I know so far is that I will have to pay 10% of the worth of the bike as import tax and as it's worth circa 4k that's 400 squid already.

What other costs are there?

Hi Matteegee,

I'm shipping my bike on Monday to Australia (tasmania to be specific).

I was quoted by Excess-Baggage to Launceston in Tasmania £856 that includes the custom made crate, customs clearance (which is around £220 if paid up front) and also includes a weeks free storage in Oz or a months free storage here in the UK should i need to use it.

You'll have to pay your 10% GST which is calculated on the price you paid when you bought it, plus your shipping costs (including any insurance you pay to cover the shipping part) And they convert that to Australian Dollars, so the cheaper the shipping the better. We do need to get the bike down to London for them to ship it, but in all honesty that's turned out to be alot cheaper hiring a van and sorting it that way then any of the other companies could quote even just getting it onto Mainland for us.

You will then need to pay for Re-Registration of the Vehicle once in Australia (You wont be able to ride it on the road until it is registered) which costs a different amount depending on which state you're in. It will need a roadworthy (which is the equivilant of an MOT) as well as the re-registration costs which can be anything from $400 odd dollars (again this depends on which state you are moving to)

You also need to get an Import Approval which costs $50 and takes up to 17 days for approval to come through. You can't ship the bike until you have this document. It's pretty easy to obtain, depending on what sort of approval you're going for. If you've had the bike over 12 months that would be the easiest to go for. You need proof of purchase, all pages of your passport (including the blank ones) and registration documents. These all need to be certified by someone (Nurse, Doctor) Any of those sorts of professions really, if you know someone then it wont cost you anything to have this part done. But it saves sending your original documents so you've ot peace of mind knowing that they wont get lost in the mail. You also need to send a letter with this to advise if/when you've been away from the bike (e.g outside the UK) and for how long, if it was for business then you need someone from your work to vouch for the fact that it was business and how long for.

I think that's all at the moment.

If you want any particular help with this you can PM me if you like?

Hope everything goes well for you.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

matteegee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
Hi Matteegee,

I'm shipping my bike on Monday to Australia (tasmania to be specific).

I was quoted by Excess-Baggage to Launceston in Tasmania £856 that includes the custom made crate, customs clearance (which is around £220 if paid up front) and also includes a weeks free storage in Oz or a months free storage here in the UK should i need to use it.

You'll have to pay your 10% GST which is calculated on the price you paid when you bought it, plus your shipping costs (including any insurance you pay to cover the shipping part) And they convert that to Australian Dollars, so the cheaper the shipping the better. We do need to get the bike down to London for them to ship it, but in all honesty that's turned out to be alot cheaper hiring a van and sorting it that way then any of the other companies could quote even just getting it onto Mainland for us.

You will then need to pay for Re-Registration of the Vehicle once in Australia (You wont be able to ride it on the road until it is registered) which costs a different amount depending on which state you're in. It will need a roadworthy (which is the equivilant of an MOT) as well as the re-registration costs which can be anything from $400 odd dollars (again this depends on which state you are moving to)

You also need to get an Import Approval which costs $50 and takes up to 17 days for approval to come through. You can't ship the bike until you have this document. It's pretty easy to obtain, depending on what sort of approval you're going for. If you've had the bike over 12 months that would be the easiest to go for. You need proof of purchase, all pages of your passport (including the blank ones) and registration documents. These all need to be certified by someone (Nurse, Doctor) Any of those sorts of professions really, if you know someone then it wont cost you anything to have this part done. But it saves sending your original documents so you've ot peace of mind knowing that they wont get lost in the mail. You also need to send a letter with this to advise if/when you've been away from the bike (e.g outside the UK) and for how long, if it was for business then you need someone from your work to vouch for the fact that it was business and how long for.

I think that's all at the moment.

If you want any particular help with this you can PM me if you like?

Hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks GaryVFR8s_Wife. That sounds like a hell of a lot of messing around. I would prefer to sell it here and get something else out there its just that I'm not getting any interest in it.

I think I'll drop the price down and see what happens.

Thanks again for the responses.

Matt
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

It is a lot of faffing if it's something you can't be bothered with.

We're taking mine because i've got ducks disease (you know, bum too close to the grount) and I know that i fit on my bike and can comfortably get both feet down, which i've not found with a lot of CBR's. Also for what i bought it for, it's cheaper for me to ship it then it would be to replace the bike in Oz as they're quite expensive.

I suppose that's the things you need to weigh up for yourself and decide. Would you lowering the price still mean that you could buy a reasonable bike that you wanted out in Oz? Also, you know the mechanics of your bike so you know if there's anything that may be due up to be done soon rather then buying a bike you don't know the history of and that could end up being a lemon.

Not a problem at all. Like i said, if you would like some help if you decide that's what you want to do, i can help you out if you like?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: The Motorbike Thread

Hi All,
Just wondering if there is any way around the 12 month ownership ???
We won't have owned the bikw for a year until march 08 and employer wants us out there in january
Lisa
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:01 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LM109
Hi All,
Just wondering if there is any way around the 12 month ownership ???
We won't have owned the bikw for a year until march 08 and employer wants us out there in january
Lisa
Ship it seperately at a later date maybe ?

If the application dates all match up, I cant see there being a problem.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really nice

If you are taking your furniture and belongings with you so you have to hire a container anyway can you not just put the bike in the container?
Ian.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

If you are taking your furniture and belongings with you so you have to hire a container anyway can you not just put the bike in the container?
Ian.
The bike can go in the container OK but don't I need to have owned the bike for 12 months to get a vehicle import permit ???
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: The Motorbike Thread

Hi,
Just been scouring the dotars website I've found some more info, there is a section that states if you are going to aus on a 457 as long as you've got a job/house etc you can apply for personal import .
So I'm going to email dotars to see if I could take bike with household stuff (at 10 months cause it would end up at 12 months by the time it gets there) or have to keep in storage until march 08. The only hitch is that you have to be in aus before they will issue the permit . The main reason for getting the 950 was because of the better tank range.
Fingers crossed, Lisa
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: The Motorbike Thread

Help !!!
who do you make the money order payable to is it 'dotars' or 'receiver of public monies'
emailed dotars and explained about not quite owning bike for 12 months and they told us to apply for permit. Just to be on safe side I'm keeping everything in storage until permit is issued.
Thanks for all the info
Lisa
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:43 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Anybody out there buying new in NSW? We're thinking of two new R1's end of Jan and the best price is about $18k each. We're doing the haggling via email as it worked for the car (we ended up $7k off list). Best deal seems to be in Paramatta except we're in Port Macquarie so that's a ride up the coast.

Also - what's everyone feel about biking clothes. I think we're resigned to wearing our leathers in winter as I can't see them working in today's heat (30 degrees). Any thoughts?

I found this lot online http://www.mcas.com.au/pw/pages/home.php - does anyone have any personal experience of Draggin jeans - do they have real armour built in to the important bits or it is just kevlar as part of the overall fabric?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:34 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Hi,
Me and my wife own a few pairs of dragons and they are good, You can buy CE approved armour for them too so they have real protection.
Have a look at this page,http://www.fieldsheer.com/2008site/IE/Mesh.htm I own one of the Mach 7 jackets with a pair of leather trousers and have had no problem in Australia including a advanced riding day which was on the track, But as they zip together like a one piece suit they are ok.
They also do trousers in the Mesh set up not sure what they are like.
Not sure if they have stockist in OZ so might be a thing for people to get before they come over.
Gary
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:30 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Im shipping my Harley chopper it's got to be the best place in the world to ride a bike! only been out this year 4or 5 times with this poxy weather over here! I think im looking forward to that more than most other things except for fishing, swiming, jet sking, beach,barbies,snorkling,scuba,cold beer,water sking,sun bathing,own pool, new house...................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.