Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:00 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Arrow The Motorbike Thread

I thought I might start this and see if I can keep it going!

We have now sold our R1's in the UK and hope to get a couple of new ones at the beginning of 2008. OH wants the black one and I want the red and white one. We're shipping our Crowtrees and AGVs with our household stuff and want a house rental with a garage to keep them secure.

We have noticed that the prices for the accessories which are genuine Yam for example are way higher in Aussie! We are going to buy some Yam crash bungs in the UK before we go and OH has already purchased a tank protector from Motographix, although I won't be so lucky with the red and white version as its got a decal right down the front of the tank so I reckon it will have to be a clear tank pad if I'm to keep the styling on the tank!

Couple of things for you bikers to think about:

1) Is anyone shipping their beloved machines and why?
2) Considering your future Aussie location what are your feelings on wearing leathers?
3) Does anyone know of any good biker cafe's - meet-ups - popular biker haunts?
4) Is anyone planning on a trip down to Philip Island next year?
5) Any Aussies got any tips for haggling the prices of new / used bikes down?

Happy riding where-ever you may be!
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:16 am
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

I've just written my R1 off to spare me the decision of whether to ship it. I'm getting a BMW K1200S now as I am getting to age where riding an R1 just looks undignified.

Having shipped bikes and cars between countries before my advice is never, ever do it. The cost savings are trivial compared to the hassle. It only saves money if your time is worth nothing.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 12:05 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

yes it is hot in Oz however I value my skin leather trousers and a Goretex jacket are wearable so I am told by the OH who is currently on a trip from Sydney to Queensland for a bike meet.

my OH is in Oz with a transalp, he had intended to buy another blackbird but found the transalp is much better suited to the roads.

Most bike shops organise ride outs and meet ups he tells me

Happy riding
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:51 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

1) Is anyone shipping their beloved machines and why?

I have. I shipped a Ducati 996 and 2 Lambretta Scoots. Ducati was the result of a lot of hard work and saving to buy brand new and pay cash! It's very low KMs, and it's my baby. The scoots, one would be another third of my family of bikes, and would be very hard to replace. The other I did bring over with the view of selling it locally. And to complete the family, a Triumph Trident, I'm just not sure if/when I will be able to afford one.

It was a load of hassle to send and then to receive them, and if there was not the sentimental and collectability factor involved, I'd say do not bother.

2) Considering your future Aussie location what are your feelings on wearing leathers?

I religeously wear leather gloves and boots ((Doc Martins as a minumum). On the Duc, I always wear a leather jacket and either leather trousers or some Draggin' Jeans. On the scoot, I have been known to wear just a t-shirt on my top, but it was the hottest day of the year last year. I'm in QLD, and the heat and humidity causes mega dehydration. I asked in a local shop, and there are leathers available that have perforations to help with breathing and keeping the temp down.

3) Does anyone know of any good biker cafe's - meet-ups - popular biker haunts?

Depends on where you are, I've found local the equiv of the MAG and Scooter, Ducati and Italian Auto clubs, and there are loads of meets for rides all though the week. Do some researching on the web.

4) Is anyone planning on a trip down to Philip Island next year?

No, but a bloke who works for me marshals there over the GP weekend, and I did a dirtbike tour through the bush and down Rainbow Beach, and the company who ran it http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/ do GP and WSBK trips, including one way bike transfers so you ride down and they arrange to transport your bikes back up.

5) Any Aussies got any tips for haggling the prices of new / used bikes down?

Consider a new one, as the dealer discounts, finance packages, etc might mean that the costs vs 2nd hand are not so large. 2nd hand seems very high here, the 'loose a 3rd of the price as soon as you put the key in the ignition' factor of Europe is not here for cars and motorcycle depreciation is also minimal, just have a look on eBay.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:24 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Having done the whole London commuting thing on bike for many years, nothing prepared me for the complete disregard that car users in QLD have for bikes. I would now never consider riding here without armor of some description, especially legs and jacket.

The nice lightweight gortex stuff is readily available so its not too hot and you can get away from leathers.

But given the ridiculously high rate of motorbike incidents and the state of our roads here I simply cannot understand idiots in shorts and singlet riding a GSXR.

As to buying new or used, there is not, as mentioned above, that much difference in price really so I would probably be tempted more new than used and think Japanese as service for Euro makes such as BMW etc are high and parts not that readily available.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:38 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
But given the ridiculously high rate of motorbike incidents and the state of our roads here I simply cannot understand idiots in shorts and singlet riding a GSXR.
with flipflops/thongs and no gloves.. Astonishing..
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:41 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that 2/3 of accidents you hear on brissy radio in the morning involve a bike and a car. Given that lots of cars are 4x4, the biker doesn't get much chance.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:13 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

I commute on my CBR everyday and will honestly say its awful as you need eyes in the back of your head...but then again its awful in any form of transport.

For work I just wear leather jacket and jeans with alpinestar boots,

But now for the good bit...the weekend...yee haa full leathers,separate jacket and pants and when that big yellow thing in the sky is shining there is no better form of transport.

You might want to bring over some tinted visors for your helmets( yes I know there illegal) and deffo some summer gloves.

There are heaps of Aussie biker forums around,give us a yell if you cant find em
Old Sep 10th 2007, 5:44 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

One good place for a ride out is from Berowra up the Old Road, There is a bikers cafr at Mount White, Get a few riders up there but also gets police on the road checking for people speeding.
Me and my wife took a couple of demo bikes up there BMW F650's had so much fun(Almost don't like saying that being used to sports bikes).
With the way some roads are in Australia I am very tempted to get a bike like an F650. In Tassie there are some unsealed roads but most of them are superb. I would recomend visiting Tassie if you like biking, Just a shame they have stopped the ferry from Sydney.
Anyway hope to meet lots of you bikers when me and Vikky get out there in December. Just need to find a job then I can buy a new bike!!!!!
Regards
Gary and Vikky
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

can anybody help me out either buying a 650 v storm, or a kawa er6f, i live on the west coast just outside bunbury, both thease bikes come in close to $10,000, new,probably using as a day to day hack, and also fun at the weekend,my 8 year old rides a kx65 at the local mx track,so i get sick of looking at mx bikes all day saturday,not going for the cbr or r6,cause cant afford them and the speed limits here are policed by "nazi policemen". Harleys are huge on the west coast,but they are not my cup of tea(look a bit gay as my 8 year old says ).Must say im looking at v storm as at perth bike show a couple of old bikers toured oz on them to raise money for the daffodil cancer trust. they could not give them enough praise
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:27 pm
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by adriang
It was a load of hassle to send and then to receive them, and if there was not the sentimental and collectability factor involved, I'd say do not bother.
Yes, I am completely disregarding my own advice about never, ever shipping bikes and shipping my RC45. It only has 8k miles on it and has lots of HRC parts; I would never be able to find another one as good. I'd like a mint RC30 and RC51 to complete the collection...
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:38 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HCJ
Yes, I am completely disregarding my own advice about never, ever shipping bikes and shipping my RC45. It only has 8k miles on it and has lots of HRC parts; I would never be able to find another one as good. I'd like a mint RC30 and RC51 to complete the collection...
I'd like a RC30/45 and 51 but hey I can hope..... I've always dreamed of owning a RC30!!!!
Wife's exporting her CBR600 to Aus. Just got clearance that we can take the bike out to Oz. So now the proces of finding a good shipping company!!!
Good luck to everyone.
Gary and Vikky
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

Hmm, just sold my CBR600. Almost cryed as it was ridden off; he even wore MY helmet. Its the only thing i've got rid of that i actually 'felt' for...

Shipping leathers/gloves/boots over. Anyone got an idea how much i could pick another CBR600 up for? I'm gonna be in ACT (well someone has to go there ).

Do you need a seperate bike test in Oz, like UK? And, reading some of the other post, what really is the standard of car driving in Oz compared to the mad, blind, speeders in the UK? I drove from Adelaide to Sydney - via Melbourne - a couple of years ago and it seemed not too bad....?

Cheers all

Mat

Last edited by walkermat; Sep 10th 2007 at 2:49 pm. Reason: Stupidity :)
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:28 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

For those in Aussie looking for used or new info on bikes try:

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/

Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

cheers jelli! found an exact replacement (yes, sad i know )..

Sold my cbr600f here for £2400 with 10100 miles on the clock. All equates to $5800 and 16250kms

One i found was $7495 and 23980kms. So, bikes are more expensive there. By a lot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.