Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Most stupid Question

Most stupid Question

Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:16 pm

katie fagan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Most stupid Question

Hi everyone, I think I am just about ready to get the most stupidest question award ever but please be gentle. I am not computer orientated so, when we arrive in our rental (which has broadband included) we will be without a computer until our furniture arrives, so did anyone hire a lap top to keep them giong in the intrim???? rather than buying one or can you get really cheap ones??????HELP!!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:33 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most stupid Question

Hi there hun, its not a stupid question and when Australia wakes up im sure someone will be along to assist you.
Good luck with the move
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Katie.

Believe me that is not the daftest question asked. You could get a laptop which we have done or else yes you will have to wait for your computer to arrive to get full use or log on to your details using someone elses.

Laptops have of course got cheaper just weigh up what you actually want it for, Lots of people in my opinion get obsessed with the technology bug and buy something that is beyond their requirements. That said you don't want to buy a "dog" either good luck
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:36 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Laptops by their nature should be portable, unless you have one of those MASSIVE suitcase sized laptops sold by PC World. I would guess that most of us who had a laptop bought it with us in our carry on. We did
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:38 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

http://abacusrentit.com.au/?source=adwords

PLenty of hire companies like the one above, just google laptop hire, or you can buy them starting from about $700 for a basic one.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hiring seems a good idea as although you can buy them here at about $599 for the cheapest, you're likely to need to download software that can take a huge toll on the monthly download limit which will be especially annoying if you're relying on dial up and/or pay as you go at an internet cafe and/or friends' hospitality. Eg. My nephew brought his brand new super laptop with him at Christmas and it exhausted our monthly download limit to set it up - we were not happy!

So a pro for buying before you come where you can get it all set up while you still have normal use of the internet.

Having said that, any warranty would be invalid over here.

Alternatively asking the experts - can you buy a laptop already downloaded with software?

Last edited by flip; Jul 13th 2008 at 11:10 pm. Reason: Rambling and incomprehensible
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:13 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
Of course you can buy them here at about $599 for the cheapest and I'm also technologically challenged but when my nephew brought his brand new super laptop with him it took our monthly download limit to set it up - we were not happy!

OK quick rethink buy it over here but then ask if you can get one already downloaded.
Problem generally is that when you first connect it up to the internet it's going to go looking for software updates to the pre-configured software, noteably service packs for Microsoft Windows, especially if you have Vista. I recently got a new laptop and in the first couple of days it downloaded close to 1Gb of patches & service packs from Microsoft! Not helped by the fact that it downloaded the same 300Mb Service pack for Office over and over again! :curse:

If you have off-peak broadband allowance, try and do all this downloading at night, having said that its very hard to try and stop these downloads sometimes.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
Hiring seems a good idea as although you can buy them here at about $599 for the cheapest, you're likely to need to download software that can take a huge toll on the monthly download limit which will be especially annoying if you're relying on dial up and/or pay as you go at an internet cafe and/or friends' hospitality. Eg. My nephew brought his brand new super laptop with him at Christmas and it exhausted our monthly download limit to set it up - we were not happy!

So a pro for buying before you come where you can get it all set up while you still have normal use of the internet.

Having said that, any warranty would be invalid over here.

Alternatively asking the experts - can you buy a laptop already downloaded with software?
I use dodo dialup on a $69 for three months deal - has unlimited downloads and unlimited hours, so for those os us still on dialup its an excellent package
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:32 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I use dodo dialup on a $69 for three months deal - has unlimited downloads and unlimited hours, so for those os us still on dialup its an excellent package
"dial up"... not sure I have heard of that one. Hang on... oh yeah, is that the one that comes with tin cans and a mile of string

I must say I'm not sure what I would do stuck in an area without broadband now. Mind you I wouldn't be able to work for one thing.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Gerry D is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katie fagan
Hi everyone, I think I am just about ready to get the most stupidest question award ever but please be gentle. I am not computer orientated so, when we arrive in our rental (which has broadband included) we will be without a computer until our furniture arrives, so did anyone hire a lap top to keep them giong in the intrim???? rather than buying one or can you get really cheap ones??????HELP!!!
hi
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

You can rent one from places like Radio Rentals.

But the weekly cost to rent one (from $5) you could get your own one on finance for the same price, from somewhere like Dell or Harvey Norman.

They good thing with renting though is they will upgrade it (sawp it for a newer rental) later, or they will usually let you buy it after a certain amout of time, for hardly anything. (freind was renting a plasma for $80 a month) after 5 moths they let him buy it out for $50). Good considering a normal retail value would of been 2k.

Mikey