Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mortgage Stress - stick or twist?

Mortgage Stress - stick or twist?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage Stress - stick or twist?

Originally Posted by tictac
Buying the land was seen as an investment and a way of recouping some of the costs incurred in getting out here and to provide a 'parachute fund' should it be required (ironic eh?). In 4 weeks the land has gained in value by at least $10k based on the prices of blocks on land 200m smaller in the same development.

2 years was the minimum amount of time we'd allow ourselves to settle.

We can live with the 1 hour commute. Kids *cannot* change schools. This is the big constraint.
Just interested to know why kids can't change schools?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Pointing the finger of blame isn't going to solve my predicament

I'd rather do something positive

Thanks anyway
Whoosh. It was tongue in cheek.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Vim:

NKSK:

Typical house value in this area is $550000. 95% mortgage would mean repayments of $4k per month.

What have you decided to do?
We've decided to buy next year. Looking at a purchase price of up to $500K but with a $230K deposit.

Things change though. Tomorrow I might wake up and decide to move to Oman.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

I know this might sound like hard work, but how about you improve your skills so you can earn more. I.e a degree in civil engineering.

Do the hard yards and you'll be rewarded.

Last edited by Potato_potato; Feb 12th 2008 at 4:47 am.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Relatively speaking $550000 isn't just a first foot on the property ladder, it sounds like you're trying to start half way up.

Perhaps change your expectations a little. You'll find many suburbs with mean property prices way below that.
Maybe you've hit the nail on the head here -> we want to pick up from where we left off in the UK and are not willing to drop our 'standards'????

I'd move to somewhere cheaper like yesterday, but it again comes down to the kids and their schooling.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
I know this might sound like hard work, but how about you improve your skills so you can earn more. I.e a degree in civil engineering.

Do the hard yards and you'll be rewarded.
From the original post it sounds as if ticTac has already done his 'hard yards'.

The gap between wages and house prices has grown enormously. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on a 95% mortgage on a $550,000 house unless I was at least $180,000. Few people earn that here.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head here -> we want to pick up from where we left off in the UK and are not willing to drop our 'standards'????

I'd move to somewhere cheaper like yesterday, but it again comes down to the kids and their schooling.
I'm not being funny tictac, but pursuing the same policies here as you did in the UK will get you exactly the same results . . . little or no equity in your house.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I'm missing something but, you own the land and think it will cost 550k to build on it?????????
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Maybe I'm missing something but, you own the land and think it will cost 550k to build on it?????????
You're missing something. Nowhere did I say that.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Typical house value in this area is $550000. 95% mortgage would mean repayments of $4k per month.
Buying the land
??
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Don't get an interest only mortgage, that would be my number one piece of advice. You'll never "own" the house, you are simply renting it from the bank.
You can set the mortgage up as interest only but still make regular payments off the principal....so for example you get paid directly into the loan account / line of credit every month, the interest is deducted and whatever you dont spend by the next month is effectively paid off the principal. That just requires a bit of discipline but does allow flexibility when you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a P+I payment in any one month.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

??
I've yet to see a house in this area which floats on air, so I'm assuming that most houses are built on land. Typically, one of these costs in the region of $550k
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I can't see how it can cost 550k to build a house if you have the land?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see how it can cost 550k to build a house if you have the land?
You *can't* ?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
You *can't* ?
*normal*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.