Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More UK TV on Aussie TV

More UK TV on Aussie TV

Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More UK TV on Aussie TV

I miss the BBC, especially the news channel (and sky news). TV adverts were getting just as bad as Oz on lots of channels before we left, so at least it wasn't as much of a culture shock as it was last time we were here.
There are loads more UK programmes on tv now than a few years ago when it just seemed to be The Bill.

I personally love Holby City, Casualty, Eastenders etc, so the second we buy our own house we will be getting foxtel!!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

LOL each to their own
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

BBC docos and many dramas are good quality. However this obsession with soaps brings down the quality dramatically.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

bbc's only evening soap is eastenders - half an hour 4 nights per week - thats really not that much!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by donovandenese
bbc's only evening soap is eastenders - half an hour 4 nights per week - thats really not that much!
Ahem

Holby, casulty etc
all soaps in everything but name!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

they are not soaps - they are tv drama series. can't comment on them as don't watch them but do know casualty is only one hour once a week (and not all year round)
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

When they are on tv once, twice everyweek of the year i think they can be classed as a soap! Whats the diffrence?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

they aren't on every week of the year
you don't have to watch them anyway
the whole point of tv these days is that theres so many channels you get to watch the good bits/bits you like from each channel
thats why i don't rate Oz tv - foxtel costs as much as sky but has significantly fewer channels and therefore much less to choose from. predominantly american series reruns
too many ad's (even in the middle of sports games!!)
and also an extremely one eyed viewpoint of the world.
not saying that uk tv doesn't have some elements of the above too but not to such an extent
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: More UK TV on Aussie TV

Originally Posted by worzel
Apart from ITV of course, that is all shite.
I can assure you that Channel 4 has recently stolen the crown...

Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:51 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

"FOXTEL and BBC Worldwide have announced a significant strategic alliance that will enable Australian viewers to access an extensive range of BBC channels. The long-term agreement will initially see BBC Worldwide roll out three new channels in Australia from its new BBC-branded global portfolio."
This has been planned for a while now, but it's hardly a new strategic alliance. The Beeb are currently buying back the right to the UK* (UK Gold, UK Living, UK TV, etc) license franchises around the world. UK TV in Australia was a partnership with Telstra, Murdoch and Packer (News Int and CMH). They owned 80% between them and the BBC have just bought that back, that's all.

The BBC are hyper funded when you take the massive income from global sales of UK programming which you, as license payers, are paying for. They certainly don't need the TV license income. trust me when I say I could tell you some horror stories about the vast amount of money they spend on just bollacks.

Apart from ITV of course, that is all shite.
God I know what you mean. In the ten years I worked there I doubt I watched more than 30 minutes of their programming. It's lowest common denominator TV without a decent idea among them. I'm come on, Ant & Dec, for the love of God.. why ?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, you can't knock Ant and Dec!! They are great.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spsspence
Choirs get voted off, God save us from this endless stream of mindless drivel.
Don't worry you wont be missing it, 'Battle of the Choirs' is already on Channel 7!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

spsspence will become famous soon enoughspsspence will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Hey, you can't knock Ant and Dec!!
I can, and I will, I'me sick of seeing their ugly mugs on the TV.

I've also lived in plenty or other countries over the years. I used to long for the Beeb, when I was first living in Holland I loved the fact that you could get the Beeb there but overall the standard in recent years has just plummeted.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:49 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mydearboy1
I wouldnt get excited! The standered of TV in the UK has hit rock bottom over the past 3 years. With the BBC being one of the worst offenders and have been recently fined by the watchdog for its poor service.
Oh so true. Still UK TV is a little better than most but it is sliding down.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigAPE
...I could tell you some horror stories about the vast amount of money they spend on just bollacks.
Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps?

I've seen it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.