Money

Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money

Hi

I am planning on opening up a Oz HSBC bank account before I depart for OZ (I have a current account with HSBC) . Then depositing £3000 - and transfering this amount into the Oz account.

Is this a good way of going about getting money accessible for me when I arrive in OZ?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems it is very easy to open a hsbc account once there.
Go into branch in Aus with passport within three months of arriving and open account with only your Passport as ID.
Then transfer money into the new account from old.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Enzo&Chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

It was easy to open one here as well.

Personally I've opened one here, as it's another think ticked off the list before going.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

How much did they charge for transfering money?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:58 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scamp
How much did they charge for transfering money?
£10 per transfer, and you get a good exchange rate.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

That is cheap. Makes it worth while to transfer more in one go....
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:43 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scamp
That is cheap. Makes it worth while to transfer more in one go....
You also get a better exchange rate the more money you transfer.

Jane
Old Dec 8th 2003, 10:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by JaneandJim
You also get a better exchange rate the more money you transfer.

Jane
HSBC UK to HSBC OZ is a good way to transfer funds, it keeps costs down, and its quick.

On one time that I did it, the funds were in my OZ account, before they came out of my UK account. At least, thats what my internet banking figures were saying

Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Money

Hi Scamp

I banked with First Direct (HSBC) for years in the UK and were v happy with their service. Over here, in Perth, I found HSBC useless and ended up transferring all funds to the Commonwealth Bank. HSBC is a good idea for transferring from UK to Oz but as for their service in Australia, forget it.

Here in Perth there are just two HSBC branches but you can also use the Post Office for HSBC banking. The only problem with the Post Office is that there is a limit in the amount you can get out, for example, we wanted a bankers draft to buy a car, the PO wouldn't let us get the money, even with passports and ID. We had to go all the way up the City HSBC Bank to get our Bankers Draft. This becomes a pain when you first come over here and need to buy a few expensive items.

Oz HSBC telephone banking is a nightmare, it takes ages for someone to pick up the phone. Their internet banking is OK though.

Another thing. A cheeky little bank teller at HSBC Perth, told us we would need a credit card in order for us to get a mortgage as we had 'no credit history' This, we found out later, was a load of old cobblers.

Shikse
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:45 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have recently been looking in to opening accounts from the uk, however I have also found out that you can lose quiet a bit of money if you transfer your funds at the wrong time. I have seen a lot of places and recommendations for "moneycorp" there website is www.moneycorp.com. They might be able to help.

I am not too sure what or if they would charge for their services but they are well recommended by most immigration books etc.

Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Shikse
Hi Scamp

I banked with First Direct (HSBC) for years in the UK and were v happy with their service. Over here, in Perth, I found HSBC useless and ended up transferring all funds to the Commonwealth Bank. HSBC is a good idea for transferring from UK to Oz but as for their service in Australia, forget it.

Here in Perth there are just two HSBC branches but you can also use the Post Office for HSBC banking. The only problem with the Post Office is that there is a limit in the amount you can get out, for example, we wanted a bankers draft to buy a car, the PO wouldn't let us get the money, even with passports and ID. We had to go all the way up the City HSBC Bank to get our Bankers Draft. This becomes a pain when you first come over here and need to buy a few expensive items.

Oz HSBC telephone banking is a nightmare, it takes ages for someone to pick up the phone. Their internet banking is OK though.

Another thing. A cheeky little bank teller at HSBC Perth, told us we would need a credit card in order for us to get a mortgage as we had 'no credit history' This, we found out later, was a load of old cobblers.

Shikse
I'll agree with Shikse, i've had an HSBC OZ account here, mainly because I also have an account with HSBC in UK, but I use it mainly as a savings account. I use a local bank with a local branch for most other things, especially deposits. 45 minutes to the nearest HSBC branch for me.
They are also good for mortgages though. I found their mobile lender very helpful. The best thing with HSBC is in transferring money from UK to OZ, and in getting a good interest rate on the Online Savings Account.

Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:03 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

recommendations for "moneycorp"
Moneycorp dont do amounts under £10,000 unfortunately. If anyone hears of anywhere offering those good exchange rates for amounts of £4,000 let me know!

Cherry