Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Contract

Mobile Phone Contract

Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

snaileyes11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Phone Contract

Hi, our visa's was finally granted on friday , we looking at heading out to Brisbane around 28/02/11. One question I have, is that both the wife and I will be needing new mobile phones and would both love to have a iphone , does any one know how easy it would be to get a contract iphone plan for us both ? and how soon could we apply for a contract ? could we apply the same day as we arrive ? I have a job, so can prove that I will have income.

many thanks in advance
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phone Contract

Not sure of the technicalities of getting a phone contract but you definitely need ID with an address etc. The best way of getting this is to apply for your driver’s licence at the earliest opportunely. I think this only involves you having an address and showing them your UK licence (if you have one).

As far as plans go I have an iphone with Vodaphone. I wish I'd gone with Telstra as they have the best coverage/reception by far but you pay more money for a smaller package.

Yes definitely avoid Vodaphone.

Keel

Originally Posted by foy465
Hi, our visa's was finally granted on friday , we looking at heading out to Brisbane around 28/02/11. One question I have, is that both the wife and I will be needing new mobile phones and would both love to have a iphone , does any one know how easy it would be to get a contract iphone plan for us both ? and how soon could we apply for a contract ? could we apply the same day as we arrive ? I have a job, so can prove that I will have income.

many thanks in advance
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mobile Phone Contract

You need to have a credit rating as far as I am aware. This takes about 2 months as far as I recall. I never buy phones off the networks because it's usually far cheaper to buy a sim-free phone. It means you have to pay the full price upfront versus over the lifetime of the contract but you are not tied in to the mobile phone company for 12/18/24 months.