Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moaning, whinging, sad, boring people on this site!

Moaning, whinging, sad, boring people on this site!

Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moaning, whinging, sad, boring people on this site!

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Now I know why the Australians say whinging poms! awww It's nice to be Scottish (just thought I would throw that in see who I can wind up)

Now Now Lisa
Don't start me off
Old Sep 26th 2005, 9:02 am
Badge

I've been in Australia 3 years now, and I honestly believe the poms do whinge more than the aussies, especially in social settings, comparing like with like. However I will make this caveats

i) A lot of British whinging is kind of a sense of humour and is often misread by many Australians.

My neighbours are from the north of England and they talk very loudly in their garden or near the carport so I can hear when I am painting the pergola. They have that thing where they are really high pitched, even the blokes, all talking at once, every comment, even a nice comment, is at full pelt and 'accusatorial'. Noone ever is calm or understated its all 118k an hour. I know there just having a chit chat but an Aussie would be forgiven for thinking they were whining. In fact eventually I called over the fence and told the bloke to stop 'whinging' because I was getting a headache and my brain is no longer wired for that intensity lol.

My aussie neighbour met one and couldn't believe the intensity and the accent - she was completely flummoxed.

ii) Australians will complain constructively in the right arenas; but there does seem to be an attempt to keep things in perspective. I'm not talking about people who have every reason to complain you get that everywhere, I'm talking about social situations.

A lot of it is in delivery. When I was backpacking around Australia, the first time I walked in to a hostel of English people, after months with Aussies it was actually quite a culture shock.

badge

Last edited by Badge; Sep 26th 2005 at 9:14 am.

Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:01 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
I've been in Australia 3 years now, and I honestly believe the poms do whinge more than the aussies, especially in social settings, comparing like with like. However I will make this caveats

i) A lot of British whinging is kind of a sense of humour and is often misread by many Australians.

My neighbours are from the north of England and they talk very loudly in their garden or near the carport so I can hear when I am painting the pergola. They have that thing where they are really high pitched, even the blokes, all talking at once, every comment, even a nice comment, is at full pelt and 'accusatorial'. Noone ever is calm or understated its all 118k an hour. I know there just having a chit chat but an Aussie would be forgiven for thinking they were whining. In fact eventually I called over the fence and told the bloke to stop 'whinging' because I was getting a headache and my brain is no longer wired for that intensity lol.

My aussie neighbour met one and couldn't believe the intensity and the accent - she was completely flummoxed.

ii) Australians will complain constructively in the right arenas; but there does seem to be an attempt to keep things in perspective. I'm not talking about people who have every reason to complain you get that everywhere, I'm talking about social situations.

A lot of it is in delivery. When I was backpacking around Australia, the first time I walked in to a hostel of English people, after months with Aussies it was actually quite a culture shock.

badge
Is it only the northerners that whinge?

Last edited by possoms; Sep 26th 2005 at 11:04 am.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

TanyaN is on a distinguished road

Excellent post! Agree 100%

What is it with Brits and supermarkets?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Badge
I've been in Australia 3 years now, and I honestly believe the poms do whinge more than the aussies, especially in social settings, comparing like with like.
Maybe it's to do with where you are though.
I lived in London for 10 years and have many lovely Australian friends from my days there. Love 'em to bits but boy do they whinge!
"it rains all the time, it's freezing, I can't get a doctor's appt, i can't buy timtams" etc etc.
I don't take it personally - they miss things about their home country. It's normal.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

TanyaN is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=jugsy]

Maybe it's to do with where you are though.
I lived in London for 10 years and have many lovely Australian friends from my days there. Love 'em to bits but boy do they whinge!
"it rains all the time, it's freezing, I can't get a doctor's appt, i can't buy timtams" etc etc.
I don't take it personally - they miss things about their home country. It's normal.
Maybe they're just trying to blend in and be British!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

flavinski is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Moaning, whinging, sad, boring people on this site!

yeeees,well said scossie i couldnt have put it better myself.my partner and i with our daughter are busting a gut to move to australia and you get people stressing about theres no marks and spencers!typical!if they want to swap places with us they can shop at marks and spencers,tescos,icland,sainsburys,bla,bla,blatill their hearts content.
good cheer from flavinski.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:49 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Absobloodylutely spot on, me and the wife have been saying the same thing!.............I for one can't wait to get to Perth and moan about the weather
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:44 am
Just Joined

bris4us is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Moaning, whinging, sad, boring people on this site!

At long last someone who has something to say that makes sense. I agree. If you want everything to be the same as we left behind - then dont come here. Remember why you decided to move to Australia in the first place. I can understand that we all miss our families but to miss Bisto - come on! Every country has good points and bad points - it is usually the people that make the difference and I too am sick of the petty moaning.
Originally Posted by Scossie
I reckon I'm normally perceived as a fairly, "nice bloke" on this site.
If you think otherwise, that's OK with me....

But.......

Enough is enough!
The, "Perth weather" thread seems to be the straw that's broken the Camel's back with me!

I'm totally fed up with the constant moaning, whinging and bleating of some of the people on this site who have made the move and are now living in Australia.

I reckon that the majority of Oz migrants on BE are quite happy in their adopted country.

Then we have the others who constantly come on this forum to bore the rest of us all to sleep about why they are not happy with Australia!

I have news for you sad people!

In Australia:

We are foreigners! (Just as much as immigrants from any country other than the UK are foreigners.)

It's not the UK, only a bit warmer!

There is no such thing as Marks & Spencer, Sainsburys, etc.!

Supermarkets stock things that are popular in Australia. End of story!

It's not sunny every day of the year! We need lots of rain or we'd all die!

Aussie Rules Football borders on a being national religion. Association Football doesn't!

Born and bred Australians are generally very nice people. They just don't like hard of thinking individuals who constantly moan about everything Australian not being what they expected!

Honestly, some of the petty crap I've read on this forum, posted by the, "moaning, whinging brigade" leaves me cold!

It's a privilege to be in the situation where you have enough points to emigrate to Australia in the first place. There are a lot of good people in the UK who would give their right arm to be able to get permanent residency in Australia, but can't!

To people who have been fortunate enough to get PR in Australia and then want to constantly moan about it, I'd say, "Bugger off back to the UK!"
You're a total social embarrassment to the rest of us!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all

wow!!! powerful stuff,but you're absolutely right,i would give my left arm to be out there,some people just aren't happy unless their moaning, even when there living all of our dreams!! so yeah,get your arses out of aussie and go back to u.k where you really belong amonst the moaners!!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by geary11

wow!!! powerful stuff,but you're absolutely right,i would give my left arm to be out there,some people just aren't happy unless their moaning, even when there living all of our dreams!! so yeah,get your arses out of aussie and go back to u.k where you really belong amonst the moaners!!!
LOL hope everything goes brilliant for you, and that you never have to moan about anything out there. You may have to bite off your tongue
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all

nah,no problems! I'll just be happy enough to get out of the u.k, as long as my kids are happy i don't care!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:24 am

nah,no problems! I'll just be happy enough to get out of the u.k, as long as my kids are happy i don't care!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

all i want to find when we if were lucky is people that are smiling , went shopping at the weekend and they were all miserable . this is not a supermarket post hate shopping myself
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charlie brown
all i want to find when we if were lucky is people that are smiling , went shopping at the weekend and they were all miserable . this is not a supermarket post hate shopping myself
you weren't round basingstoke way were you ,coz their always smiling round here! NOT!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.