Mining Engineer

Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Bubba Ho Tep is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mining Engineer

I have only just joined, but have really enjoyed reading the posts over the last few weeks, I have been offered a civil engineering job in Vic and will start the 457 visa process, I have a B.Eng(hons) in Mining Engineering which I have not really used, concentrated more on construction projects, but as I will be going to Australia I was wondering if any other people know of the mining situation out there (yes I know its busy), I was basically wondering if anyone has any experience in the mining industry and/or may be able to offer me some advice/contacts.

Fingers crossed, will be living la vida loca before Christmas and cant wait.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

best4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mining Engineer

Hi my Son's dental assistant is waiting to emigrate out to Oz when she sells her house, as her husband is now working in Mackay in the mining industry. He has been out for about 12 months or so. She was saying the last time I was there they are crying out for miners in that area. My son is back at the dentist next week, I will ask her who she works for.

It is a lovely area up Mackay. we visited it a few years ago when we went on holiday.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by best4ever
Hi my Son's dental assistant is waiting to emigrate out to Oz when she sells her house, as her husband is now working in Mackay in the mining industry. He has been out for about 12 months or so. She was saying the last time I was there they are crying out for miners in that area. My son is back at the dentist next week, I will ask her who she works for.

It is a lovely area up Mackay. we visited it a few years ago when we went on holiday.
appreciate any info you may get, A few aussies back in the UK cant believe I have a mining qual and am not working over in the mines.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubba Ho Tep
I have only just joined, but have really enjoyed reading the posts over the last few weeks, I have been offered a civil engineering job in Vic and will start the 457 visa process, I have a B.Eng(hons) in Mining Engineering which I have not really used, concentrated more on construction projects, but as I will be going to Australia I was wondering if any other people know of the mining situation out there (yes I know its busy), I was basically wondering if anyone has any experience in the mining industry and/or may be able to offer me some advice/contacts.

I can offer you a good contact, colleague of mine recruits solely for the engineering side of the mining industry, mainly QLD and WA. PM me and I'll send you his details.

Edit: Just noticed you'll need to make one more post before you can pm.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spartacus
I can offer you a good contact, colleague of mine recruits solely for the engineering side of the mining industry, mainly QLD and WA. PM me and I'll send you his details.

Edit: Just noticed you'll need to make one more post before you can pm.
Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
That's alright.

To pm (private message) pick on my user name (spartacus) in the left hand column, and select 'send private message' if you haven't already
Old Aug 31st 2008, 11:05 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

My husband is a mining engineer. Work was relatively easy to find when we came over. We had planned to go to the Hunter Valley so were focusing in on jobs there. He got offered a job in Hunter Valley and also one in Brisbane. The Brisbane offer was a lot better and in a busier place so we ended up taking that one. He also could have had a job offer in Mt. Isa, they wanted to fly us up there but we really didn't want to go so we declined.

I've heard from others on the forum that he could make twice as much in Perth, but we're really not interested in fly in fly out. Plus, at the time Perth housing prices were really high and the city is kind of remote. So we decided against it.

Should you go into mining work you may not get your choice of jobs since you don't have any experience yet. I'm sure you will have no difficulty find jobs though. Even a year of experience somewhere remote should find you a much better job. You still could get lucky and end up exactly where you want.

So.... are you coming over as a civil engineer (sponsored) and then going to try and find another sponsored job as a mining engineer? Or are you hoping to find a sponsor right now for a mining job?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by comet555
My husband is a mining engineer. Work was relatively easy to find when we came over. We had planned to go to the Hunter Valley so were focusing in on jobs there. He got offered a job in Hunter Valley and also one in Brisbane. The Brisbane offer was a lot better and in a busier place so we ended up taking that one. He also could have had a job offer in Mt. Isa, they wanted to fly us up there but we really didn't want to go so we declined.

I've heard from others on the forum that he could make twice as much in Perth, but we're really not interested in fly in fly out. Plus, at the time Perth housing prices were really high and the city is kind of remote. So we decided against it.

Should you go into mining work you may not get your choice of jobs since you don't have any experience yet. I'm sure you will have no difficulty find jobs though. Even a year of experience somewhere remote should find you a much better job. You still could get lucky and end up exactly where you want.

So.... are you coming over as a civil engineer (sponsored) and then going to try and find another sponsored job as a mining engineer? Or are you hoping to find a sponsor right now for a mining job?
I will be coming over as a Civil Engineer and the job I've been offered is good so no complaints, I was just interested in the Mining Industry, just a bit of fishing. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Where did you graduate from?? I'm a CSM mining engineer, started my job today in Brisbane but moving to NSW in 2weeks.

I'm working for sandvik who do both mining and civil engineering and as we were told today they have far far more work than they can possibly handle.

When I was back in England we had 4/5 of the biggest mining companies on the world approach us and all of them said they were short by HUNDREDS of mining engineers...there are 22 students in my year group and all were offered more than one job!!

Do some research on job websites and you'll see that wages start at $95,000 for a fresh graduate and it's very likely that you'll have housing/car/phone/moving costs and more included in the deal. You can work in any part of Oz in any part of the industry, soft rock, hard rock, underground, above ground, machinery etc etc...

Hope that helps
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
Where did you graduate from?? I'm a CSM mining engineer, started my job today in Brisbane but moving to NSW in 2weeks.

I'm working for sandvik who do both mining and civil engineering and as we were told today they have far far more work than they can possibly handle.

When I was back in England we had 4/5 of the biggest mining companies on the world approach us and all of them said they were short by HUNDREDS of mining engineers...there are 22 students in my year group and all were offered more than one job!!

Do some research on job websites and you'll see that wages start at $95,000 for a fresh graduate and it's very likely that you'll have housing/car/phone/moving costs and more included in the deal. You can work in any part of Oz in any part of the industry, soft rock, hard rock, underground, above ground, machinery etc etc...

Hope that helps
Also from CSM, I graduated when minerals were at a low price so mining work was fairly scarce, so went into civils/tunnelling, thanks for the info. I may be calling on your help in the future.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Also from CSM, I graduated when minerals were at a low price so mining work was fairly scarce, so went into civils/tunnelling, thanks for the info. I may be calling on your help in the future.
Well there's more mining work than you can shake a bloody big stick at now.

Just spoken to a guy in my year who works for Rio Tinto, he said they're absolutely desperate for more mining engineers atm so is well worth contacting them about possible jobs.