Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to oz, cost of living perth wa

Migrating to oz, cost of living perth wa

Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

NRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant future
Default Migrating to oz, cost of living perth wa

Hi
I need some advice and insight in to the cost of living in Australia. I am a nurse hoping to earn between $75,000- $85,000. there will only be one wage coming into the house initially as we have 2 children of school age so my husband will have to be caring for them, so any work will have to fit around school hours.
My first question is are there many job opportunities for working school hours and secondly as there will only be one wage coming into the house what is the cost of living like at present.

Many thanks for your advice

Nicola
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to oz, cost of living perth wa

It's hard to say whether that would be enough because we don't know how much you will spend on rent/mortgage.

But we are a family of 5 and even without rent/mortgage we'd be struggling on that money.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

NRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
It's hard to say whether that would be enough because we don't know how much you will spend on rent/mortgage.

But we are a family of 5 and even without rent/mortgage we'd be struggling on that money.
Hi renth,
Thanks for your advice on this topic much appreciated .

Nicola
Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't a high income by any means, but it depends on what you are used to now.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NRyan2
Hi
I need some advice and insight in to the cost of living in Australia. I am a nurse hoping to earn between $75,000- $85,000. there will only be one wage coming into the house initially as we have 2 children of school age so my husband will have to be caring for them, so any work will have to fit around school hours.
My first question is are there many job opportunities for working school hours and secondly as there will only be one wage coming into the house what is the cost of living like at present.

Many thanks for your advice

Nicola
Hi Nicola. Re jobs working school hours it probably depends on what your husband can/is willing to do. Have a look at Seek for part time/casual work to get an idea.

Cost of living - if you use the BE search function you'll find lots of threads on this, but it's a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' thing because there are widely different opinions and situations. You could log onto the Coles or Woolworths site and do a mock grocery shop to get a rough idea of that side of things.

Salary - according to the ATO website your take home pay (after tax) would be:
$75,000 gross = $59,078 net = $1,136 per week net
$85,000 gross = $65,603 net = $1,261 per week net
These figures don't take into account any tax breaks you may be entitled to, such as Family Tax Benefit, and are the rates for permanent residents and citizens (there may be different rates for other visa types, not sure). The above rates don't include the Medicare levy.

For the June - September quarter, the median price for a 3 bedroom Perth rental home was $455 per week. realestate.com.au is a great site to get an idea of suburbs and prices.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck with your planning
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
It isn't a high income by any means, but it depends on what you are used to now.
Hi
Thanks for the advice, I know it's not the highest income but it works out more than what I get in the uk for being a nurse, like you said it depends on what income you are used to and in oz we will have not have debt except for rent or mortgage and car.

Nicola
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Nicola. Re jobs working school hours it probably depends on what your husband can/is willing to do. Have a look at Seek for part time/casual work to get an idea.

Cost of living - if you use the BE search function you'll find lots of threads on this, but it's a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' thing because there are widely different opinions and situations. You could log onto the Coles or Woolworths site and do a mock grocery shop to get a rough idea of that side of things.

Salary - according to the ATO website your take home pay (after tax) would be:
$75,000 gross = $59,078 net = $1,136 per week net
$85,000 gross = $65,603 net = $1,261 per week net
These figures don't take into account any tax breaks you may be entitled to, such as Family Tax Benefit, and are the rates for permanent residents and citizens (there may be different rates for other visa types, not sure). The above rates don't include the Medicare levy.

For the June - September quarter, the median price for a 3 bedroom Perth rental home was $455 per week. realestate.com.au is a great site to get an idea of suburbs and prices.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck with your planning
Hi
Thanks so much for all the info, it's great. Will definitely do a mock shop. I agree it will be tight but didn't realise we would be entitled to any tax breaks like family tax benefit as we are coming over on a permanent visa. We also in the uk do not live on a high income as I am the main earner, will check out the real estate web site too. Thanks again.

Nicola

Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for the advice, I know it's not the highest income but it works out more than what I get in the uk for being a nurse, like you said it depends on what income you are used to and in oz we will have not have debt except for rent or mortgage and car.

Nicola
For me (note those words) overall COL is roughly similar with Australia slightly more expensive
Old Nov 26th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For me (note those words) overall COL is roughly similar with Australia slightly more expensive
I think you are right in that it is all swings and roundabouts but washes up being basically equal.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:24 am
Just Joined

abc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud of

Costs of Australia is so high mainly due to the landlords raking in the major part of all hardworking people incomes. You can forget about an acceptable level of living if you have to pay for rental and airfares back home unless you bring with you lots of money.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abc1
Costs of Australia is so high mainly due to the landlords raking in the major part of all hardworking people incomes. You can forget about an acceptable level of living if you have to pay for rental and airfares back home unless you bring with you lots of money.
I haven't found it that way - where in Australia are you abc1?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I haven't found it that way - where in Australia are you abc1?
Prolly Little Britain
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:52 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by abc1
Costs of Australia is so high mainly due to the landlords raking in the major part of all hardworking people incomes..
Fantastic news for the unemployed and retirees!!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:56 am
Concierge

Hi
Thanks so much for all the info, it's great. Will definitely do a mock shop. I agree it will be tight but didn't realise we would be entitled to any tax breaks like family tax benefit as we are coming over on a permanent visa. We also in the uk do not live on a high income as I am the main earner, will check out the real estate web site too. Thanks again.

Nicola

You're very welcome Nicola, any more info you need just ask and I'll help if I can. I used to live on the smell of an oily rag, me, three kids and a husband who wouldn't work in an iron lung. I managed fine, even managed a couple of camping holidays a year.

Managing even better now that the kids have grown up and the work-shy husband is now the ex-husband
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You're very welcome Nicola, any more info you need just ask and I'll help if I can. I used to live on the smell of an oily rag, me, three kids and a husband who wouldn't work in an iron lung. I managed fine, even managed a couple of camping holidays a year.

Managing even better now that the kids have grown up and the work-shy husband is now the ex-husband
Hi
That last comment really mad be laugh!
I suppose I am just panicking being the main wage earner until our children become a it more independent. We are migrating for a better lifestyle and that definitely means the weather! I am sure we will manage financially we do here on a budget.
Thanks again for your help and will definitely be in touch if I have any further questions.

Nicola

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.