Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:34 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Originally Posted by Lynn W
another question about spiders !

If you have a dog, will spiders bite the dog, and if a dog was to eat / get bitten by a -

redback / huntsman

what harm will it do to the dog????
Need to ask a qualified veternarian about this but I have never heard of any incident. that of course doesn't mean it couldn't happen
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:40 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
i dont give a sh** mate - big as a human hand!!!! (and i forgot to mention they are hairy). after i read it i sat all night looking at the size of my husbands hands and nearly started to cry!!!! and they can sprint!!! not as bloody fast as me they cant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:

LMAO :scared:
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:58 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fraser
Since I have been reading/posting on this thread I have been bitten 14 times by a sand fly that is in the computer room,
I have got OFF insect repelent (i found this to be the best so far) all over me and on all the clothes I am wearing and I have one of them buzzing things that are suposed to keep them 2 meters away and an insect zapper blue light thing in the room.

Biting things (like mossies) are def what you should be afraid of, they are evil :scared: do not worry about spiders

Kala
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

i hadnt really paid much attention to the spider thing - i know there are red backs and funnel web thingies and basically they want to kill you - but JESUS - have you seen the size of these huntsmen fu**ers!!! Christ Alive!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

i hadnt really paid much attention to the spider thing - i know there are red backs and funnel web thingies and basically they want to kill you - but JESUS - have you seen the size of these huntsmen fu**ers!!! Christ Alive!!!
That's one mother of a spider! Anyone know a good hypnotist?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Sorry Possoms

If you really are scared of spiders the I strongly suggest you try hypnotherapy/therapy of any kind(!) to help you. I know that if I don't do something about it I'm literally going to be living in fear and I'm not going to let the buggers win. I'm not going to let it spoil our Oz life.

London Zoo do an afternoon course called 'friendly spider course' (yeah I know, they're having a larf!!!) and at the end of it you catch one and then have one on your hand. If works for a lot of people, but I need something that'll be more longer lasting. (can't find details on zoo website so have left message with the zoo to call me back with dates/times/how much etc. I'll post the details when I get them (or someone else beats me to it!!)).

D D

PS apologies if someone has already mentioned London Zoo's course on this thread....it's getting pretty long!!!

id be interested to know about that as im seriously starting to have second thoughts - i havent quite been the same since i started this thread - im unusually quiet!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by marco121068
That's one mother of a spider! Anyone know a good hypnotist?

or anyone have a licence for a double barrelled sawnoff??
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:57 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

or anyone have a licence for a double barrelled sawnoff??

We haven't come across to much on our visits to Oz just a few cane toads and a golden orb spider. Although we were in ko phan gan in Thailand a few years a go sitting in a restaurant when there was a power cut, when the lights came back on there was a massive spider near us Rachel started shouting at the thai waiter to kill it. Not the best thing to say to a bhuddist :scared:
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

We haven't come across to much on our visits to Oz just a few cane toads and a golden orb spider. Although we were in ko phan gan in Thailand a few years a go sitting in a restaurant when there was a power cut, when the lights came back on there was a massive spider near us Rachel started shouting at the thai waiter to kill it. Not the best thing to say to a bhuddist :scared:

LOL!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough

Dare I ask? Has anyone got a picture of those flying cockroaches? :scared: How big are they? :scared:
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:57 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Sorry Possoms

If you really are scared of spiders the I strongly suggest you try hypnotherapy/therapy of any kind(!) to help you. I know that if I don't do something about it I'm literally going to be living in fear and I'm not going to let the buggers win. I'm not going to let it spoil our Oz
You will soon lose your fear of spiders in OZ when you stumble across something much worse. l knew someone who was affraid of spiders, one day she lifted up an old piece of corrigated iron and underneath was a massive
5 foot tiger snake with a nest of lovely little baby snakes. The huge mother protective of the babies leaped up in the air and tried to bite her in the face but missed when she jumped back. After that she was terrified of snakes but no longer affraid of spiders, they now seemed harmless in comparison. :scared: :scared:

Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:06 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
You will soon lose your fear of spiders in OZ when you stumble across something much worse. l knew someone who was affraid of spiders, one day she lifted up an old piece of corrigated iron and underneath was a massive
5 foot tiger snake with a nest of lovely little baby snakes. The huge mother protective of the babies leaped up in the air and tried to bite her in the face but missed when she jumped back. After that she was terrified of snakes but no longer affraid of spiders, they now seemed harmless in comparison. :scared: :scared:
Snakes I don't have a problem with, it's the 8-legged critters that I can't handle! Snakes aren't going to end up on your pillow at night, or get in your wellie boot, or scuttle across your windscreen whilst driving (although I do remember a thread on here a long while back about someone who had a snake climb up his steering column when he was driving ).

D D
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

An extract:

"Huntsman Spider

Just to recap "can be as big as an adult hand. The spider typically has a crab-like set of legs and can sprint up walls and across ceilings with surprising speed"

HOLY S**T
My Mum once went out in the car to get some milk, and discovered a huntsman on her car. She climbed over to the passenger side to get out and it followed her! No joke. It was possibly coincidence, but the guy that worked at the 7/11 had to come out to see if she was okay, then proceed to seek and destroy said huntsman. And bring the milk out to the car for her. She came home and cried for 2 days.

BTW She can laugh about it now
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

I have ended up buying quite a few books on Ozzie nasties (incidentally also coiincided with a number of sleepless nights!)...far scarier i thought were the paralysis ticks...at least you cant miss the Huntsman. I here some people actively encourage the Huntsman as it kills other more venemous creepy crawlies!

Obviously I am a dead butch blokey with no fears...but would honestly crap myself and scream like a girl if I saw a huntsman running at me!...and how the hell are you supposed to get them out...couldnt squish em as would leave a right mess!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

Oh dear god, that's the scariest thing I have ever read/seen. I was eating a piece of pizza when I started this thread, and not I can't finish.

Perhaps someone should post this in the Dieter's for Oz thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.