Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:49 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
No you wont. Geckos are cute little lizardy things with buggy eyeballs that eat moths and stuff. They are good! Trust me. My M&D were over visiting and freaked out cos there was a gecko (or 'chit-chat' as they called it) in the bedroom.

Our response was, so what, it'll keep any bugs away. Our tea-time entertainment is watching the geckos on the window chasing and catching the moths. Thats might say something about Oz tv

Cheers,
JTL

Oh one poster did mention they shit all over the house, but we never did figure out whether they meant the geckos
Yeh Geckos are cute. Would love to have a couple as pets
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
im on the verge of tears - i cant believe you are so calm. im shi**ing bricks already.

i cant believe you left the one in your bathroom - that would beg the question "where the hell is he now?" oh my god oh my god oh my god.

and if one fell on my lap id be on the next plane back to UK i just know it.
im on the verge of tears - i cant believe you are so calm. im shi**ing bricks already.

i cant believe you left the one in your bathroom - that would beg the question "where the hell is he now?" oh my god oh my god oh my god.

and if one fell on my lap id be on the next plane back to UK i just know it.
it becomes second nature to shake clothes out, and tap your boots before you put them on, but you WILL cope. Believe me, I'm no great spider lover, and I hated leaving it in the bathroom not knowing where it would go...... but it lives here, its harmless, and it eats them roaches. Wait till you've met them, you'll love anything that kills them.

First one of those I met landed on my keyboard,in the dark one night. Bondipom had them breeding in his keyboard. They ARE scum. 6 inch long flying sods!

And yes, redback bites can kill, but I don't think anyone has died for ,many years, and there are lots of anti-venom things available. Just get treatment quick.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:54 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so much everyone - im so glad i started this thread. i seem to have lost the power of speech and my mouth feels dry. :scared: just looked in the mirror and ive gone very white all of a sudden.
Just look at it this way: 20 million people live here and very few die or are otherwise seriously inconvenienced by these things.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Just to help the therapy along I managed to find this...

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_sp...parassidae.htm

Where was it you were thinking of moving too...
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:56 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

"The thing to do is remember they are harmless, just big, and they eat things that are nasty - like roaches."

If this is the case, get me a dozen spiders, any sort - don't care, really really can't cope with roaches. It's the fact that they can fly that freaks me out big time. I lived in Hong Kong for 3 1/2 yars and they still scared the hell out of me when we saw one at Christmas in Perth. Spiders don't worry me now and I used to have palpitations at money spiders!!

At the age of 5 my oldest knew where we kept the "spider polish", Baygon to you and me, and used to fetch it regularly for me on hearing my strangled screams and a shout of his name!!

Oh well, at least roaches can't bite you, or can they?, not that I plan on getting close enough to find out.

ooh just thinking about them gives me goosebumps. Going to have to do something nice now to take my mind of the subject. Hmm where did my copy of Arachnopobia go?.........
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Just to help the therapy along I managed to find this...

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_sp...parassidae.htm

Where was it you were thinking of moving too...
Those pics are enough to send potential migrant to NZ instead!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:59 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Just look at it this way: 20 million people live here and very few die or are otherwise seriously inconvenienced by these things.
Exactly. That yappy dog down the road that barks from 9pm to 3am every other night causes me far more grief than any spider (So far!)
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:02 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ub40fan

Oh well, at least roaches can't bite you, or can they?, not that I plan on getting close enough to find out.

ooh just thinking about them gives me goosebumps. Going to have to do something nice now to take my mind of the subject. Hmm where did my copy of Arachnopobia go?.........
Not been bitten by one but they carry germs etc, and they fly at you, into your face, just like the Hong Kong ones. Make me jittery, and they do still make me scream unlike spiders. We have 3 cans of roach surface-spray in the house so I can grab one wherever I am. I admit it, I hate them, and its largely cos they are so germridden.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not been bitten by one but they carry germs etc, and they fly at you, into your face, just like the Hong Kong ones. Make me jittery, and they do still make me scream unlike spiders. We have 3 cans of roach surface-spray in the house so I can grab one wherever I am. I admit it, I hate them, and its largely cos they are so germridden.
My understanding is flies carry far more germs than roaches. Incidentally in all my life in NZ I never once saw a cockroach.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

My understanding is flies carry far more germs than roaches. Incidentally in all my life in NZ I never once saw a cockroach.
Maybe they are banned from there, like St Patrick banned snakes from Ireland?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:16 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I need to rethink my destination then, or perhaps wear a hat with a net on it all the time. Hmm, that could be an improvement. Won't bother me what I look like, cos I won't be the one looking at it. Hee Hee
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:18 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

MMM do you get the flies over east like up here in Gero, We have thousands of the bastards. they are ALMOST more anoying than wasps were in the UK.

Honestly whe in the Uk I was really realy scared of spiders and I realy am not anymore, there are much more annoying insects to worry about like Flying roaches, they realy are scary,the the crawling or should I say scurrying cockroach, they are the worse closely followed by the mossies/sandflies who feast on you day and nighth no matter how much spray you put on or how many candles you light (my legs look fabulous from the scars and scabs) then the flies

spiders kill all of the above so they have to be your friends

Kala
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe they are banned from there, like St Patrick banned snakes from Ireland?
No snakes there either. he must have paid a visit on his holidays or something and decided to clean it up as well

and now for a soothing, refreshing cuppa vanilla tea
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:23 pm
Home and Happy

Flies aren't as bad here as they are said to be over in the West (thank goodness).
I am now off to bed, and have drunk too much wine cos of celebrating finding a new house (hopefully with no roaches) - so the best pic I can find is in a post of Dolly Daydreams on this thread....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272532

wish they looked that friendly!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JayDeee
MMM do you get the flies over east like up here in Gero, We have thousands of the bastards. they are ALMOST more anoying than wasps were in the UK.

Honestly whe in the Uk I was really realy scared of spiders and I realy am not anymore, there are much more annoying insects to worry about like Flying roaches, they realy are scary,the the crawling or should I say scurrying cockroach, they are the worse closely followed by the mossies/sandflies who feast on you day and nighth no matter how much spray you put on or how many candles you light (my legs look fabulous from the scars and scabs) then the flies

spiders kill all of the above so they have to be your friends

Kala
Im in Perth and while I don't mind daddy long legs the rest I cant handle(cos they can bite).

Older places seem to have more of a cockroach problem. I can never get rid of the buggers (mainly the small german ones), no matter how often i spray or put cockroach bombs down.

I did hear an old remedy for them, must try it I heard it works well.

Mix half flour and half plaster of paris with a little water and leave around where they hangout, in little trays.
Another hint: keep a few slices of cucumber under you sink/in cupboards till it dries out. then replace. Apparently they cant stand it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.