Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Originally Posted by martinw01908
Quick question about mozzies. I am the sort of person who, when on holiday to Greece or Spain etc gets bitten to death. Don't know what it is, but the mozzies love me and have a feast. Perhaps its the fair skin but anyway....

Are the mozzies the same in Oz as Greece (or worse?)

In other words is there anyone who was bothered by mozzies as much as me and has managed to deal with them or get used to them in Oz?

Or are they not as bad, please tell me they are manageable in Oz. Do they vary in numbers from place to place.

Ok this turned out to be not a quick question at all, but hope somebody can help me?
The Mozzies can be worse here (Perth) as they can carry "Ross River Virus" - which is a particularly nasty thing which can make you ill for months. I have hardly been bitten though - we don't sit out as much as you'd do in say Greece/Spain - don't get lovely little outside tavernas and you tend to use your screen doors etc. My kids have a few bites, that's about it. Some areas are much worse than others though, if it's the sort of thing which bothers you, then don't buy near a lake (you get loads down Lake Joondalup/ Edgewater etc. in Perth). You can get aeroguard for repelling them, have never bought any but would if we were going out on the river / staying near lakes etc.
atb
Larissa
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:43 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
An extract:

"Huntsman Spider

A full-grown huntsman spider can be as big as an adult hand. The spider typically has a crab-like set of legs and can sprint up walls and across ceilings with surprising speed. Huntsmen are known to bite and may cause mild local pain. etc etc etc"

well F**K THAT!!!!!

I purchased the above book from Sandown at the weekend. I read the above extract and nearly crapped my pants!!!!

Just to recap "can be as big as an adult hand. The spider typically has a crab-like set of legs and can sprint up walls and across ceilings with surprising speed"

HOLY S**T

God I had forgotten how funny this thread was.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Definately huntsman in Perth, seen a few so far but mostly in out of the way places...seen a number of red backs and loads of Black Window spiders.
I knew about the redbacks but i thought black widows were in the States and not Australia? Since you live in Perth have you seen any spiders in your house or garden (especially of the poisonous or large variety)?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Sorry Possoms

If you really are scared of spiders the I strongly suggest you try hypnotherapy/therapy of any kind(!) to help you. I know that if I don't do something about it I'm literally going to be living in fear and I'm not going to let the buggers win. I'm not going to let it spoil our Oz life.

London Zoo do an afternoon course called 'friendly spider course' (yeah I know, they're having a larf!!!) and at the end of it you catch one and then have one on your hand. If works for a lot of people, but I need something that'll be more longer lasting. (can't find details on zoo website so have left message with the zoo to call me back with dates/times/how much etc. I'll post the details when I get them (or someone else beats me to it!!)).

D D

PS apologies if someone has already mentioned London Zoo's course on this thread....it's getting pretty long!!!
The London Zoo Spider Afternoon is about £150 if I remember correctly. Personally thought it was a little pricey for one afternoon!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:22 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummmmm this thread is over a year old!!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrispy
I knew about the redbacks but i thought black widows were in the States and not Australia? Since you live in Perth have you seen any spiders in your house or garden (especially of the poisonous or large variety)?
Ok well one of you has a typing error
You replied to someone who said a black WINDOW spider typically called a common house spider here i've not heard of any black widow spiders in Oz I thought their equivalent was a red back???

Jen
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:19 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I have not looked at that picture - yet. This is a worry for me yet I am not going to spend money on it unless I find out when I'm over there that it's actually debilitating.

If you do want to get rid of a huge spidey how can you actually do it? I read about the hairspray method, sounds good, but presumably you have to be quite close to do it. Any other methods? Hoover wouldn't work would surely cos of the size.