Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might be coming to australia but not completely sold on it

Might be coming to australia but not completely sold on it

Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might be coming to australia but not completely sold on it

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
There are many people is Sydney who earn less than that. They just live further out from the centre and chances are they don't work in the CBD.
I expect they are not all keeping a family on that income, although I am sure some are. I still don't get why anyone would uproot themselves and move to the other side of the world to struggle by on that kind of weekly income. It would spoil the experience for most people I would have thought.

The places I looked at are quite a long way from the centre too.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Okay not kind of wrong...just plain wrong.

"in which case OP would not be entitled to anything."
That bit....wrong.

HKA
Oh ok. I didn't realise we were talking about LAFHA earlier, I thought we were talking about state benefits for people on low incomes. LAFHA is not a benefit for people on low incomes AFAIK.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moley_88
Hello their everybody i am new to this site and am just wondering what australia is like and your opinions of it. Could you tell me where you live, how much you rate it and the general cost of living please. I will be possibly be moving early next year if i get a transfer but id like to rent a house but i will be getting around $700-800 take home a week so am wondering would that do a family of 3? thanks people
Do you even know if you have any chance of a visa to live/worth in Australia?

If you will be on a temporary visa, then read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

And either way, then also read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Migrat...lure-Australia

If planning to be on an internal company transfer, then read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Oh ok. I didn't realise we were talking about LAFHA earlier, I thought we were talking about state benefits for people on low incomes. LAFHA is not a benefit for people on low incomes AFAIK.
Call it what you like!
It is a government sponsored payment/Tax break to mitigate the cost of 'living away from home' and the lack of other benefits.

To say he is not entitled to anything was just plain wrong.

This guy is in exactly same position as I was 10 months ago. I feel I have a duty to help him with real answers not merely 'questions' or indeed plain wrong information. So I see it my place to inform him of both my experiences and to point him away from non-information or misinformation.

HKA

PS Sorry if I rattled your cage!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Call it what you like!
It is a government sponsored payment/Tax break to mitigate the cost of 'living away from home' and the lack of other benefits.

To say he is not entitled to anything was just plain wrong. And I have not said that OP would not be entitled to LAFHA.

This guy is in exactly same position as I was 10 months ago. I feel I have a duty to help him with real answers not merely 'questions' or indeed plain wrong information. So I see it my place to inform him of both my experiences and to point him away from non-information or misinformation.

HKA

I just clarified I was talking about state benefits for low income in my earlier post, that is all. Chill.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Call it what you like!

HKA

LAFHA has to be set-up by the employer doesn't it ? Also the OP would be relying on a benefit that could be pulled by the government at any time [457 visa holders cannot vote] plus would still be in the hole for medical insurance and school fees in some states.

Anyone thinking of coming to Oz who would NEED benefits or government allowances to make ends meet is taking a very large risk.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

On that kind of income, you would really have to be sold on the idea of coming to OZ, so as to put up with some backwards lifestyle changes. By sold on the idea you would really have to love the wild outdoors and be willing to seek it out as often as possible. Because the rest of life here would be more or less as you find it in the UK, only you would probably be a lot worse of financially.

Depends how important that wild outdoors wilderness stuff is to you, and how much you are willing to give up to get it.

So possibly not for you. You'll only end up frustrated.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Call it what you like!

Actually LAFHA isn't an entitlement....it should be made compulsory that an employer HAS to do it, but not all of them will. If your employer isn't prepared to do the paperwork you're screwed. You can't claim it yourself.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Moley_88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i work for an australian firm in the uk called programmed and their suppost to be a massive firm over their but they are pulling out of the uk and everyone is being made redundant but they have 60 positions in aus so im deeply considering it as their aint much work over here at the moment. People have told me its a better lifestyle and my son will have a much better life over there but i didnt realise how expensive it is there. They said they are preared to pay for a potential long stay temporary visa. I think most positions are around western australia like perth but im not to definately sure at the moment because their waiting for government approval on the visa front. I know Sydney will be far to expensive but i heard their might be a position in canberra. Any thought guys? Thanks for the replys btw
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well i work for an australian firm in the uk called programmed and their suppost to be a massive firm over their but they are pulling out of the uk and everyone is being made redundant but they have 60 positions in aus so im deeply considering it as their aint much work over here at the moment. People have told me its a better lifestyle and my son will have a much better life over there but i didnt realise how expensive it is there. They said they are preared to pay for a potential long stay temporary visa. I think most positions are around western australia like perth but im not to definately sure at the moment because their waiting for government approval on the visa front. I know Sydney will be far to expensive but i heard their might be a position in canberra. Any thought guys? Thanks for the replys btw
Hmm, Canberra on a 457 is a very expensive proposition, especially if you have kids as they charge about $10k pa per child if your occupation isnt on MODL. (The Catholic system only charge around $3k pa though) It is almost as expensive as Sydney to live with rents starting at around $400 pw if you can find one.

What do you mean by a "much better life"? I wouldnt be banking on that if that is the only reason for coming here - it's different for sure but whether it is better is questionable - both are first world countries after all. Only come if you have an adult itch for adventure - and quite a bit of money in the bank.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
There are many people in Sydney who earn less than that. They just live further out from the centre and chances are they don't work in the CBD.
These people who survive on $800 a week don't have big mortgages and must of bought 10 years back or live in a one bed unit in a rough area or with their parents or shared accomodation. There is no way on earth would you be able to afford to rent or buy anywhere in Sydney earning $800 a week for a family of 3. A cheap rental is $300 a week in Sydney in a non desirable area with dodgy schools and neighbours, that leaves $500 a week for everything else - LOL. Food is gonna cost $200 absolute minimum a week if you live on cheap crap and baked beans, $250 for utilities and running a couple of cars, at least. This leaves $50 a week for emergencies and extras like, dental, doctor's visits, clothing, etc, etc. It can't be done, even living in a cheap rough area. Why would anyone want to come to Aus for that kind of struggle? I thought it was all about a 'better life'?

$800 a week covers a $480K mortgage only, Sydney house prices are around $600K average, for example, this puts it into perspective.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:30 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pomtastic
These people who survive on $800 a week don't have big mortgages and must of bought 10 years back or live in a one bed unit in a rough area or with their parents or shared accomodation. There is no way on earth would you be able to afford to rent or buy anywhere in Sydney earning $800 a week for a family of 3. A cheap rental is $300 a week in Sydney in a non desirable area with dodgy schools and neighbours, that leaves $500 a week for everything else - LOL. Food is gonna cost $200 absolute minimum a week if you live on cheap crap and baked beans, $250 for utilities and running a couple of cars, at least. This leaves $50 a week for emergencies and extras like, dental, doctor's visits, clothing, etc, etc. It can't be done, even living in a cheap rough area. Why would anyone want to come to Aus for that kind of struggle? I thought it was all about a 'better life'?

$800 a week covers a $480K mortgage only, Sydney house prices are around $600K average, for example, this puts it into perspective.
you're sooo negative!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
you're sooo negative!
Jeez, it's books like 'The Secret' and all that positive thinking that has got plenty of folk into strife. Wasn't there some crap in 'The Secret' about just imagining you WILL live in a mansion and the power of positive thought would get you your dream home, pinning a photo of a Ferrari on your fridge would enable you to some day realise your car owning dream. The Americans sucked up that shit and look where they are today.

Nah, I'd rather have a dose of realism and skeptism than living in dream la la land.

Just shut your eyes and count to 3 and all you'll be able to live off of $800 a week and don't listen to all those nasty negative people.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how much equity you have in your current house.

If you have 200K Aud upwards then you maybe able to have some kind of decent lifestyle.

Would your wife be able to work as well ?

It's pretty difficulty for any single income earner, especially those on average wages.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is a expensive city to live in. I earn a fair bit more than what you are talking about and couldnt afford to live in Perth itself and have a decent lifestyle. Might be possible if your wife works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.