Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Merry Christmas from the QLD Police

Merry Christmas from the QLD Police

Old Jan 5th 2015, 2:59 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merry Christmas from the QLD Police

Why do so many people complain about getting speeding fines? Or, if not actually complaining, feel it is worth commenting on? Speed limits are posted everywhere, cars have speedometers (and cruise control!) and we all know that the police and contractors are out there checking vehicle speeds. If you don't want a speeding ticket, don't exceed the limit.

A friend of ours who lives in an expensive Brisbane suburb complains that the police are always on a particular street because they know that mums speed down the street in order to be at the school to pick up their kids - why don't they leave home 5 minutes earlier and avoid the speeding fines?
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Why do so many people complain about getting speeding fines? Or, if not actually complaining, feel it is worth commenting on? Speed limits are posted everywhere, cars have speedometers (and cruise control!) and we all know that the police and contractors are out there checking vehicle speeds. If you don't want a speeding ticket, don't exceed the limit.

A friend of ours who lives in an expensive Brisbane suburb complains that the police are always on a particular street because they know that mums speed down the street in order to be at the school to pick up their kids - why don't they leave home 5 minutes earlier and avoid the speeding fines?
I have the same attitude now, leave a few mins earlier, take your time, arrive safe & keep the cash in your pocket instead of QPS's win win
Old Jan 5th 2015, 8:29 am
Banned

nphilips is an unknown quantity at this point

In the ACT there are massive, and I mean massive, warning signs that a fixed speed camera is just up the road. Mobile vans have a big sign on the roof saying same. Have to be blind, asleep, or both to get booked imho.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. My biggest annoyance at the moment is the Centenary Highway while the Legacy Way tunnels gets finished. Speed limits have been reduced to 60, but nobody except me and about 5% of drivers drop to the 60 Km limit.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 6th 2015, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I know two people here who got done with double demerits over the Christmas period. One for doing 7km over the limit, the other for driving in a bus lane.
In NSW at least double demerits only applied to speeding and seat belts. The bus lane penalty would have been standard number of points (but that's NSW).
Old Jan 7th 2015, 1:01 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I agree. My biggest annoyance at the moment is the Centenary Highway while the Legacy Way tunnels gets finished. Speed limits have been reduced to 60, but nobody except me and about 5% of drivers drop to the 60 Km limit.
Don't get me started on how ridiculous a lot of posted speed limits are! - but that's a completely different topic from getting fined for ignoring them.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 1:24 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I ride a Vespa,couldn't reach the speed limit if i tried
Old Jan 8th 2015, 9:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nphilips
In the ACT there are massive, and I mean massive, warning signs that a fixed speed camera is just up the road. Mobile vans have a big sign on the roof saying same. Have to be blind, asleep, or both to get booked imho.
QPS shared this on their FB page today..

Police warn motorists not to block speed cameras after man charged in Rockhampton - Rockhampton
Old Jan 14th 2015, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Just got another fine today. This is bullshit. I bet its not the last either. I'm considering ignoring it. If its anything like England I suspect they'll just past it onto a debt collection agency who will send angry letters for years.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started on how ridiculous a lot of posted speed limits are! - but that's a completely different topic from getting fined for ignoring them.
Indeed. I agree. They are ridiculously low in some places.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 7:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Just got another fine today. This is bullshit. I bet its not the last either. I'm considering ignoring it. If its anything like England I suspect they'll just past it onto a debt collection agency who will send angry letters for years.
Just a thought and feel free to discount it if it proves unworkable but how about slowing down to the speed limit? As I said, just a thought.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you could end up with your driving licence fines suspended and end up with far more in fines than you currently have. Continue to ignore and I suspect you could end up with fines enforcement warrants etc. etc.
"If its anything like England" ........it's not
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just a thought and feel free to discount it if it proves unworkable but how about slowing down to the speed limit? As I said, just a thought.
Just too hard for some
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

You realise you do have the opportunity to challenge the infringement notice in court.

In Queensland, penalties for failing to pay can range from licence suspension, a fine collection notice for collecting debts form your bank account or your wage, vehicle immobilisation, registering an interest on any property you own, seizing and selling property or, in extreme cases, arrest and imprisonment.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/fines-and...e-enforcement/

If you find you can't pay, you may be eligible for unpaid community service or other payment options.....

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/fines-and...overdue-fines/

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 14th 2015 at 9:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.