Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by asprilla
I'll step in for ABC in his absence. The last 14month's worth of daily weather observations can be found here.
http://reg.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/ID...0.latest.shtml

If you hit the "contact us" link on that page, you can email BOM and ask them for the 1994 figures.
Thanks but they seem to want a fee - not that important i suppose.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Melbourne's coldest day on record was in June 1866, when temperatures dropped to minus two degrees.

I'm not sure which part of Melbourne this was in or how accurate it is because these days we never get below 3 degrees at night in the city or about 10 degrees during the day.

Outer suburbs and semi-rural are normally colder overnight.

BB

Past winters have been mild and overnights were often c. 7 degrees...here in outer Melbourne - distinctly mild infact in world weather winter terms.

There are anomalies . Viewbank is not that far from the city and posts some of the coldest Melbourne temperatures, and we are warmer than down the hill due to being shielded by trees . My neighbours house can be as much as 3 degrees colder and he lives in a depression around the corner. I'm not talking about his mental state. ..

Coldstream is also pretty cold. No prizes there....
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Past winters have been mild and overnights were often c. 7 degrees...here in outer Melbourne - distinctly mild infact in world weather winter terms.

There are anomalies . Viewbank is not that far from the city and posts some of the coldest Melbourne temperatures, and we are warmer than down the hill due to being shielded by trees . My neighbours house can be as much as 3 degrees colder and he lives in a depression around the corner. I'm not talking about his mental state. ..

Coldstream is also pretty cold. No prizes there....

We camped near healsville in late December which is Summer and it got down to 4c at night, bloody froze, certainly didnt expect it in summer

However the lady cleaning the showers was saying the last summer at that time it had been 40c during the day.

A few weeks after we left there were the massive bushfires

Worst thing about melb in summer is the bush type flies that blow in, no matter what the weather, bloody hard to sit outside in it if youve got 100 flies stuck to your nose/back/eyes/ears Freaks me out - disgusting and ruins a melb summer.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Worst thing about melb in summer is the bush type flies that blow in, no matter what the weather, bloody hard to sit outside in it if youve got 100 flies stuck to your nose/back/eyes/ears
agreed, and the only negative I can find about living here, however the last 2 summers they seem not to have been as bad, or maybe I've got used to them?

BB
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We camped near healsville in late December which is Summer and it got down to 4c at night, bloody froze, certainly didnt expect it in summer

However the lady cleaning the showers was saying the last summer at that time it had been 40c during the day.

A few weeks after we left there were the massive bushfires

Worst thing about melb in summer is the bush type flies that blow in, no matter what the weather, bloody hard to sit outside in it if youve got 100 flies stuck to your nose/back/eyes/ears Freaks me out - disgusting and ruins a melb summer.
Jad you are a walking disaster! Do you have to pay increased premiums and loading just for being Jad?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
ABC,

You seem a man of weather stats - perhaps you can help?

We lived on the Gold Coast in 1994, landing on the 2nd of January. Where might I find out how hot it was in the first few days? I just remember it as being very, very warm and having just about enough energy to walk from the living room to the pool, to the fridge and back.

Bezza
Records only available from 1995, and not very detailed records either.

This is what I get from a premium subscription, for Jan 1994.
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Winter Weather?-goldcoast1994-01.png  

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:48 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Yes - all checked by the heating man, they do blow out air but just not very much!

When the engineer went into the loft to check he found one of the big silver pipethingies had come off the boiler so basically we'd been heating the loft! At least we jumped on it straight away, the previous tenants had been here over 3 years and never got it checked! We also suspect there is something wrong with the pipes as when the heating is on downstairs (we can't have both together!) warm air is coming out of the space around the oven upstairs....so something is leaking somewhere!

Still only a few months to go and we'll be in our nice new house!
Friends of ours had ducted heating fitted about 8 months ago, and last week they where complaining that they couldnt get the house warm even with it on 24 hours a day.

They live up on a hill in the Dandenongs, and it was freezing in the house.

They finally called out the engineer that fitted the system, and do you know what the problem was?

They hadn't ever cleaned the inlet filter (where the air is drawn into the system initially) and it was clogged with dust, so the system couldnt suck any air in, so it couldnt blow anything out either. The house was as warm as toast in 20 minutes after cleaning the filter

Our inlet is in the kitchen, and we clean it every 2 weeks, and its needed as well.

That might als be something affecting your system.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

We have been checking the filter and it's okay. We think something is going on between the floors. Anyway, I mentioned it to the inspection lady and she said she would get someone in to look at it again.

Anyway, hopefully we won't need it on for much longer and then we won't be here!