Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:56 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I quite like my weather.... none of the extremes that everybody else seems to complain about.
I like mine too

Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
The romans knew how to do it; heat from underneath.
Something like this...

Under Floor Heating in Australia

Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping our new house will be better with a nice new system and hopefully some decent insulation. Our first place in Mellie had no heating and it was such a shock to the system, it was like returning to the house I grew up in - that didn't build my character other than wanting to go and live somewhere warm. The current rental has ducted but I don't think it works properly, we've had the guy round but only two ducts (one upstairs and one down) seem to actually blow any hot air out. The one that is over the fridge works the best!

Oh yes, I'm fed up with the climate jokes. One girl thought that the UK spent the entire winter under 10ft of snow (well that was right last winter!) and wondered how on earth we got out to buy food!

If we don't have to go back to the UK next winter then I'm seriously considering renting an apartment in QLD for a month or two, or three.......

It's really cold today!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by koalakim
only two ducts (one upstairs and one down) seem to actually blow any hot air out.
Forgive me if this is too obvious Kim but are all the other ducts turned on? There would be a little thing you twist or slide on each one to turn them on and off.

I'm sure you've already done that but thought I'd ask anyway...

BB
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - all checked by the heating man, they do blow out air but just not very much!

When the engineer went into the loft to check he found one of the big silver pipethingies had come off the boiler so basically we'd been heating the loft! At least we jumped on it straight away, the previous tenants had been here over 3 years and never got it checked! We also suspect there is something wrong with the pipes as when the heating is on downstairs (we can't have both together!) warm air is coming out of the space around the oven upstairs....so something is leaking somewhere!

Still only a few months to go and we'll be in our nice new house!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I like mine too
Your's is too hot. Mine is just like baby bears porridge.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Your's is too hot. Mine is just like baby bears porridge.
Specially for you...

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jul 20th 2010 at 6:15 am.

Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:23 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

ABCDiamond you could try repeating the favour for Melbourne, but the website would probably crash because it isn't used to handling figures that low.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
ABCDiamond you could try repeating the favour for Melbourne, but the website would probably crash because it isn't used to handling figures that low.
Well, the hottest day in 2009 was infamous at 46.4C...not sure about the coldest.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well, the hottest day in 2009 was infamous at 46.4C...not sure about the coldest.
Melbourne's coldest day on record was in June 1866, when temperatures dropped to minus two degrees.

I'm not sure which part of Melbourne this was in or how accurate it is because these days we never get below 3 degrees at night in the city or about 10 degrees during the day.

Outer suburbs and semi-rural are normally colder overnight.

BB
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

According to Wiki...

The lowest temperature on record is −2.8 °C (27 °F), on 4 July 1901, I think they were referring to the city.

Then

the most recent occurrence of sleet in the CBD was on 25 July 1986
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

ABC,

You seem a man of weather stats - perhaps you can help?

We lived on the Gold Coast in 1994, landing on the 2nd of January. Where might I find out how hot it was in the first few days? I just remember it as being very, very warm and having just about enough energy to walk from the living room to the pool, to the fridge and back.

Bezza
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by koalakim
According to Wiki...

The lowest temperature on record is −2.8 °C (27 °F), on 4 July 1901, I think they were referring to the city.

Then

the most recent occurrence of sleet in the CBD was on 25 July 1986
There was sleet of sorts at the airport in the winter of 2000. I remember being given an automatic Ford Falcon (never driven auto and certainly nothing that big) and being told to find my accommodation in Prahan in the sleet and the dark.

Great fun and far better than a cold night in without insulation.

Spent last year in Vic also but discovered wood burners and electric blankets. Now that takes you back for me but at least it keeps your toes warm.

Bezza
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:49 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
ABC,

You seem a man of weather stats - perhaps you can help?

We lived on the Gold Coast in 1994, landing on the 2nd of January. Where might I find out how hot it was in the first few days? I just remember it as being very, very warm and having just about enough energy to walk from the living room to the pool, to the fridge and back.

Bezza
I'll step in for ABC in his absence. The last 14month's worth of daily weather observations can be found here.
http://reg.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/ID...0.latest.shtml

If you hit the "contact us" link on that page, you can email BOM and ask them for the 1994 figures.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Anything below 25 is cold to me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.