Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a row

Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a row

Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Even Ascot Vale and Moonee Ponds are worth a look, and then you move on West to places like Flemington, Kensington, Yarraville, etc etc... I've not been to some of those inner western places in years... save for Footscray.

They are bound to have changed for the better.

Oz Tennis will love this one....Fawkner is getting trendy type Cafes now
Indeed - I've only visited the NW once - Kensington. And for the zoo too!

I'd like to get to know the N/NE better though. Can't believe I have barely touched Carlton and Fitzroy, save for a few restaurant visits.

I have worked in the E, around Colllingwood so know bits of Victoria Parade.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne wins "The Economists' most liveable city in the world for 3rd year in a

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Indeed - I've only visited the NW once - Kensington. And for the zoo too!

I'd like to get to know the N/NE better though. Can't believe I have barely touched Carlton and Fitzroy, save for a few restaurant visits.

I have worked in the E, around Colllingwood so know bits of Victoria Parade.
I'm surprised you've been in Collingwood and Viccy Pde but not Carlton and Fitzroy; they're cheek by jowl. Carlton was little Italy; still is in many ways; Fitzroy was bohemia (still is), Collingwood was bogan territory, now the Collingwood FC supporters come from further afield. Only joking about much of that.

Parkville is chalk and cheese to the former working class suburbs of Ca, F and Co. There's some wonderful and expensive property near the Uni; East Melbourne too on the south side of V Pde, plenty of parkland too but very expensive.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I'm surprised you've been in Collingwood and Viccy Pde but not Carlton and Fitzroy; they're cheek by jowl. Carlton was little Italy; still is in many ways; Fitzroy was bohemia (still is), Collingwood was bogan territory, now the Collingwood FC supporters come from further afield. Only joking about much of that.

Parkville is chalk and cheese to the former working class suburbs of Ca, F and Co. There's some wonderful and expensive property near the Uni; East Melbourne too on the south side of V Pde, plenty of parkland too but very expensive.
I've been to a restaurant on the Carlton border, and obviously up Lygon.
My sojourns have not taken me deep into the North, that's all.

I did briefly drive to Thornbury from the airport so I did cut across W//E at night.....