Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

Originally Posted by torcraw
Thanks for the input so far, I'll summarize it all and come up with a good "avoid list" for when I look for a place to live in Melbourne.

If anyone has any additional advice, please continue to post!!
Hi,

Interesting thread ... i plan to locate to Hampton Park if my visa application pass thru.

Really Appreciate it if you can advise which place is good for young family with aged parents in Melbourne.

Regards,
sram
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

EandE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne - what suburbs to AVOID living in?

What about Moonee Ponds? To be honest I didn't like it too much, but that could be a personal thing. Not sure about the safety late at night...
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EandE
What about Moonee Ponds? To be honest I didn't like it too much, but that could be a personal thing. Not sure about the safety late at night...
Moonee Ponds is regarded as a very good area. There are plenty of very large old Victorian mansions around that area, valued at over 1.5 and above 2 Mill.... such as the following. It would be a far safer area, than the majority of Melbourne. It can cost 600,000 bucks for just a 2 bedroom unit.

The median in Moonee ponds would be around 750,000 Aud.. over 350,000 pounds. There are 3 private schools in Essendon, which is very close by.

It's almost certainly one of the top ten Suburbs in Melbourne.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007272832

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007220195

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007081759

Lawyers, GP's and Surgeons would be the kind of people living in Moonee Ponds.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 30th 2008 at 10:30 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Devlin
Altona, Hoppers Corossing, Weribee, Craigieburn, Thomastown, Sunshine, Dandenong, Springvale, Resevoir, Coburg, Oakleigh, Hampton Park, Croydon for starters.
Agree except for Oakleigh. Oakleigh is not as bad as the others in fact it is in a very central location close to Chadstone and freeway into the city.

Frankston can be dodgy in parts too but it is improving. Add Broadmeadows to the list and Noble Park.

Last edited by melbournegirl; Jul 31st 2008 at 3:42 am.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sram466
Hi,

Interesting thread ... i plan to locate to Hampton Park if my visa application pass thru.

Really Appreciate it if you can advise which place is good for young family with aged parents in Melbourne.

Regards,
sram
Hampton Park is not the best of areas as it is next to Dandenong which should be avoided.

As for suggestions it depends on your budget but there are probably lots of better options than Hampton Park.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
Agree except for Oakleigh. Oakleigh is not as bad as the others in fact it is in a very central location close to Chadstone and freeway into the city.

Frankston can be dodgy in parts too but it is improving. Add Broadmeadows to the list and Noble Park.
Broadmeadows is changing as well MG, not to the extent that I would advise anyone to live there, but it is well and truly improving. It's still tainted by the Adjacent and trouble ridden suburbs of Dallas, Coolaroo and Campbellfield... The latter three being the worst in the North.

Dallas would be the exact opposite of what it sounds like
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Fancy areas have their quota of undesirable people same as the perceived undesirable places. One cannot pick the neighbours.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

EandE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Moonee Ponds is regarded as a very good area.
I stand corrected! I must say I haven't seen the kind of property ozzieeagle links to so I must have seen the wrong part.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Fancy areas have their quota of undesirable people same as the perceived undesirable places. One cannot pick the neighbours.
True. But we notice that our village attracts people who seem to share similar interests and values, and it is very noticeable that areas adjacent don't.

I've got a general overview of the demographics of Melbourne, sort of seperating out areas into zones and characteristics which one day I will post. Some of these areas come down to personal interest and taste too. Save for a rainy day...
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:11 am
Just Joined

bindymape is an unknown quantity at this point

The best suburbs i think are around the inner south east of Melbourne. Quite professional, fun and safe areas. Although no where is always 100% safe of course, but these areas are pretty good. I live in South Yarra and love it - close to everything and a fantastic lifestyle
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bindymape
The best suburbs i think are around the inner south east of Melbourne. Quite professional, fun and safe areas. Although no where is always 100% safe of course, but these areas are pretty good. I live in South Yarra and love it - close to everything and a fantastic lifestyle
Almost in agreement with you, except I'd add in 4 close in Northern Subs.. Carlton, Fitzroy, Northcote and Brunswick, more Bohemian, and far more European influence. Depends on your style I guess.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bindymape
Indeed. Inner SE Melbourne (W of Warrigal Rd, roughly S of the Eastern freeway and N of the Princes Highway/Monash - (Bay for now is not being discussed) is THE area to live in Melbourne. If I had several million I'd want to live here during the week.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Almost in agreement with you, except I'd add in 4 close in Northern Subs.. Carlton, Fitzroy, Northcote and Brunswick, more Bohemian, and far more European influence. Depends on your style I guess.
I'd also say inner north is slightly more arty, even bohemian in places but those inner areas are the best and almost define part of Melbourne's allure and quality of life.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

bigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nice

Footscray and Frankston are the only 2 place I've come across that I personally wouldnt live in.
I do have a few friends that live in Footscray and like it, but I just felt a bit edgy there.
I lived in Flemington for 3 years, a lot of people advised me against it, but i loved it.
I now live in Fitzroy and cant see myself moving out of the area in the near future.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bigkaz
Footscray and Frankston are the only 2 place I've come across that I personally wouldnt live in.
I do have a few friends that live in Footscray and like it, but I just felt a bit edgy there.
I lived in Flemington for 3 years, a lot of people advised me against it, but i loved it.
I now live in Fitzroy and cant see myself moving out of the area in the near future.
My 2cents: Footscray is *inner* West. By definition, it has to get better and become a success story. Professionals have been moving in (look at Seddon) this last 10 years and prices are climbing. I know a guy priced out of the inner East and North who bought there 3 years ago. He's happy to live with like-minded indivuiduals and glad to get in early. His mates bought in Seddon in the late 90s.

Give it 10 years.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My 2cents: Footscray is *inner* West. By definition, it has to get better and become a success story. Professionals have been moving in (look at Seddon) this last 10 years and prices are climbing. I know a guy priced out of the inner East and North who bought there 3 years ago. He's happy to live with like-minded indivuiduals and glad to get in early. His mates bought in Seddon in the late 90s.

Give it 10 years.
Its a bit like Bermondsey, it's going to happen one day

I'd live there, but I wouldnt advise others to, My Aussie wife doesnt like Footscray, she likes the rest of the inner Burbs though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.