Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:30 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by 2plus3
Hi All

We hope to one day be in Melbourne.

Had our visas granted in Jan 2008 and validated in Perth in July 2008 as that was originally where we wanted to head as hubby has relatives there. However, Perth really didn't do anything for us (in our opinion we found it very boring) hence the decision to go to Melbourne.

Despite never having been to Melbourne all our research and talks with people who have lived in both Perth and Melbourne has made up our minds that Victoria seems to have everything our family is looking for in a new life downunder.

I think we're going to look to live in the East, maybe out as far as the Dandegong Ranges, as we want a property with a bit of land and we have friends who live in that direction who hopefully will be able to help hubby with finding a sparks job.

If all goes to plan we hope to finally make it over to Aus this year

Great thread

Kari
Good luck with everything, and hope your dream works out this year.

You will love the Dandenongs. It can get a bit wet & cold for Australian standards, but its a beautiful place to live. Plenty of space, fantastic scenery & very affordable as well.

I dont think hubby will have too much trouble finding work around here at the moment.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Hi, me again, lol

Can anyone tell me what the job situation is like in Melbourne for an electrician these days?

When we were going through the visas process I had read that you have to jump through hoops getting licences etc to work as a sparks once you arrive and it was causing lots of problems for people as it was taking so long to get on courses; is this still the case or has it become easier/worse??

Kari
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:47 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, me again, lol

Can anyone tell me what the job situation is like in Melbourne for an electrician these days?

When we were going through the visas process I had read that you have to jump through hoops getting licences etc to work as a sparks once you arrive and it was causing lots of problems for people as it was taking so long to get on courses; is this still the case or has it become easier/worse??

Kari
Dont know the exact ins & outs for sparkies, but you need to get all your qualifications re-assesed and you will probably need to take a few courses as well.

Another recent new arrival who is a plumber also has had to go through the same process, even though British qualifications are probably better than the Australian ones. He doesnt seem to have had any problems getting tests/courses organized.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

Hi, me again, lol

Once you get your qualifications recognised, from my experience, a good electrician in Melbourne will currently never be out of work and will be able to charge $70 per hour+.

Buzzy
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:58 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

The craziness continues....

http://www.theage.com.au/national/me...ml?autostart=1
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:16 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

The Top 10 Riskiest Suburbs for 2009....report by RACV
Some interesting outer suburb new additions in the top 10 list for 2009.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...skiest+Suburbs

You can look up the burglary rate for any suburb from the link on that page...
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
The Top 10 Riskiest Suburbs for 2009....report by RACV
Some interesting outer suburb new additions in the top 10 list for 2009.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...skiest+Suburbs

You can look up the burglary rate for any suburb from the link on that page...
Could have told you about Narre Warren and knew it would feature. It was a dump 6 years ago and now it has taken a dive. I feel sorry for the people who moved there when it was farmland and have seen the land developed around them. It's a sh*t hole.

EDIT - apologies, they are not talking about Narre Warren Boganville - they are talking about North and East which are far nicer.

The bogans get into the acreage of the North and East, raid, and escape down the ease of Heatherton Rd and the M1/back to Narren Warren.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 8th 2010 at 10:44 am.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:45 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The bogans get into the acreage of the North and East, raid, and escape down the ease of Heatherton Rd and the M1/back to Narren Warren.
The vikings of Melbourne they are then !
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:44 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Melbourne gets squeezier !
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pe...0330-rbhv.html

"MELBOURNE is squeezing up. A record 93,500 more people poured into the city in 2008-09, the biggest population growth any Australian city has seen.

Bureau of Statistics figures have raised dramatically estimates of population growth in Melbourne and regional Victoria, with the city now estimated to have topped 4 million people by July."
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:49 am
UpInTheAir

asamird is an unknown quantity at this point

hey folks;

am so happy to find such a thread , but it seems too long to go through all of it at the moment ..
anyhow , i ve just got my VISA few days ago and i was considering my move soon , but actually im still very confused where to go and what to do ...!!!

i was thinking seriously about moving to Melbourne as i heard alot about its upsides , but im still not sure if im gona choose it over sydney ... i think it will depend on job opportunities available , so , i have some questions and appreciate your answers/comments...

1- what about Job Opportuniteis for a Network Engineer [Cisco/Juniper background ]there ? (might be odd to some people but u can neglect it if you dont know much about my technical job specifics )

2- if i am considering a holiday for 2 weeks to validate my VISA during the next 9 months , what the best time to do it (thinking about september)? and what is the cheapest place to stay in ?

3- can i arrange with some employment agencies remotely so i can find a job before moving ? may be arranging some interviews during this holiday time ? is that practically possible ? [if yes , do u know any suggested agencies to contact ?]

4 - what about salaries and cost of living compared to sydney ?

5- if you know any links that compare sydney to melbourne , pls share .

thanks guys ..
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Could have told you about Narre Warren and knew it would feature. It was a dump 6 years ago and now it has taken a dive. I feel sorry for the people who moved there when it was farmland and have seen the land developed around them. It's a sh*t hole.
Which bit of Narre is a shit hole Badge? Serious question....you seem to hate the place and I have no idea why?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

IandM is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?

We are heading off there this Friday for GOOD!!!! - and can't wait!! Have spent time there already and as someone else has said - love the place!! Bring it on - Melbourne here we come!! Am really excited even though I'm up to my armpits in final stages of packing and saying our goodbyes!!!! We started the process 2 and a half years ago and leave the UK with very happy hearts!!!
I and M
PS - Good Luck with your fact finding - stay in touch and we'll let you know how it all goes - the ups, the downs, the pitfalls, and the pleasures - it's always good to have inside info.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IandM
We are heading off there this Friday for GOOD!!!! - and can't wait!! Have spent time there already and as someone else has said - love the place!! Bring it on - Melbourne here we come!! Am really excited even though I'm up to my armpits in final stages of packing and saying our goodbyes!!!! We started the process 2 and a half years ago and leave the UK with very happy hearts!!!
I and M
PS - Good Luck with your fact finding - stay in touch and we'll let you know how it all goes - the ups, the downs, the pitfalls, and the pleasures - it's always good to have inside info.
Couple of pictures of Carlton for you + 1 Baby Elephant, Mali, which you'll possibly end up seeing.. from yesterday folks.

BTW thats the Original La Porchettas in the Picture of the shopping strip. Owner died in a Bike Accident last week (Rocky) , plus the Restaurant features highly in Underbelly... Still we love the place. Youngest goes to School at the top of Rathdown St, which is where La Porchettas is.
Attached Thumbnails The Melbourne thread-sany0094.jpg   The Melbourne thread-sany0095.jpg   The Melbourne thread-sany0057.jpg  

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 3rd 2010 at 11:04 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Which bit of Narre is a shit hole Badge? Serious question....you seem to hate the place and I have no idea why?
The bit around Fountain Gate. Not all of it.

I just feel there are other parts close by that are a lot better and that a recce is worth doing.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by asamird
1- what about Job Opportuniteis for a Network Engineer [Cisco/Juniper background ]there ?
Very good. Especially Juniper.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.