Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:20 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by lor
Seeing as we have now been here four weeks ,I surpose i'd better add me and mine to this ere thread.:
Then i'd better put the kettle on for you and yours

Jen
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulb
err hang on a bit....Im from Sedgefield which is in Co. Durham but Im certainly not a mackem
Up the Boro
Mackem = Sunderland/living in sight of the Wear?
Geordie = Newcastle/living in sight of the Tyne?
Scouser = Liverpool/living in sight of the Mersey?
Sedgefield = PM who sends troops to war?

OzTennis
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thebears
St Catherines in Toorak - note this is not "Toorak college" in Mt Eliza.

PS the 50% was a joke currently the fees about $19K but we get a discount for second and third child.

Takes me 6 mins to drop off on the school run and then only 15 mins to work. Our move was for the school - but the work life balance has been a bonus.

I understand wanting to spend more time with the kids - coming from 90+ hours per week in UK to 60+ in Oz means I have more time with family too.
Watch the trap of commuting too far out of Melbourne

Wow have just read up on the school, it really is one of the top performing schools and has a great ethos. Unfortunately it is a girls school and I have one girl one boy and would like them at the same school as they are very close (this is due to the fact that they have moved around a lot due to husbands career) both are very bright and the fact that our eldest (daughter) has had 7 schools and is only 11 seems to have had no effect on her except she is confident and makes friends easily. School is important and I take on board the travel into CBD however once the new road is open this will make the journey slightly shorter and the children can benefit from village life and the beach we hope. No firm decisions yet as we have yet to move over but I am looking forward to working in CBD ( have worked in London west end and Hong Kong island and I feel Melbourne is as exciting and vibrant but with European feel). Maybe I will meet you at Britvics meet when we are over?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Mackem = Sunderland/living in sight of the Wear?
Geordie = Newcastle/living in sight of the Tyne?
Scouser = Liverpool/living in sight of the Mersey?
Sedgefield = PM who sends troops to war?

OzTennis
Whats that got to do with this??
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

We too are hoping to move to Melbourne end of this year. Depending on getting our 136 visa.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:25 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently registering with the nurses board of Victoria. Once that is done I need to get a job. I can't decide whether to apply for a job in the Eastern suburbs (live nr Dandenong ranges) or Frankston (live Mornington Peninsular).
It's doing my head in! Aaagghh!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:47 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

We're REALLY struggling to find short term cheap accomodation when we arrive. Anyone who's already there got any ideas?????

*pearly*
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno, confused the hell outta me
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi guys,

We're REALLY struggling to find short term cheap accomodation when we arrive. Anyone who's already there got any ideas?????

*pearly*
Pearl, have you tried the B4 parks, not that cheap, but its about the most reasonable ave came across

http://www.big4.com.au/public/index....=42&parkid=204
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:02 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Margaret,

Tried that one but wasn't what we were lookin for. Trouble is, the dates we're lookin for accom is also the dates of the FIFA swimming champs so all the places have bumped their prices up!
Hoping that 2 weeks in furnished accom will be enough to find a proper rental! Geeeez, we're gonna be busy!!
Oh, by the way Margaret, I've got an interview lined up with the RDNS at their Customer Care centre 2 days after we arrive!

Any more takers re furnished short term accom near the city????

*pearly*
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Debs64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?
Just popped in to say hi

We are hoping to settle in Melbourne but a long wait ahead as have only just had visa application acknowledged.

We are thinking Frankston South maybe although we would like to be closer the city AND the bay but don't have the pennies for that. Also want to look at Geelong.

Good luck all, and thanks for this thread Kapri.

Debbie
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:18 pm
Danny Kay

Danny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant future

Hi
Heading for Melbourne at the end of April not been on for a while due to the fact that there is so much to do before leaving and now we have the visa it is going so quickly and I still haven't told work yet.

Staying with family in Greensborough untill we find somewhere to rent nearby.
Hopeing to get my same job as a paramedic but they wont consider my application untill I arrive.

Well have to go loads to do but i'll be back intouch.

Danny
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Cheers Margaret,

Tried that one but wasn't what we were lookin for. Trouble is, the dates we're lookin for accom is also the dates of the FIFA swimming champs so all the places have bumped their prices up!
Hoping that 2 weeks in furnished accom will be enough to find a proper rental! Geeeez, we're gonna be busy!!
Oh, by the way Margaret, I've got an interview lined up with the RDNS at their Customer Care centre 2 days after we arrive!

Any more takers re furnished short term accom near the city????

*pearly*

Just curious , why is b4 not what your looking for (just incase i can nick your ideas, lol),also have you tried posting on Britvids for help.
Pearl, what's RDNS
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

TazDevil is an unknown quantity at this point

We've booked our flights and arrive in Melbourne 23 June!!!!! We are planning to live in Point Cook. I am so excited......
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kapri
I'm currently registering with the nurses board of Victoria. Once that is done I need to get a job. I can't decide whether to apply for a job in the Eastern suburbs (live nr Dandenong ranges) or Frankston (live Mornington Peninsular).
It's doing my head in! Aaagghh!
Both areas are nice. We like the peninsula for the beaches, and the countryside. Also its a horse area for the mrs when she returns to work I work in mental health services in Frankston for Peninsula health. Heard good n bad reports about Frankston hospital, the bad seems to be ED, but generally good care in patient wise. A friend of the wifes has just had a baby and said the care at Frankston was miles better than the UK.

Email the hospitals direct or look on there websites for jobs. Whats your speciality??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.