Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:08 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
When I was younger and wrinkle-free....I mean child-free. 2002-2003 for 18 months. Been away 3 years and had two children since then. So going this time round is completely different....so many things to think about for the Little People!!
Hi HP.
Why have you decided to return?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Most of the weather complaints seem to be from people who don't live there. I guess there's always Queensland for a winter holiday.
There's an element of truth in this. Yes, it is 'cold' but I love my old wood burner, my life is complete. Just as it gets bad, winter ends. The weather takes a decided turn for the better in September.

The only actual difference between other places like Sydney or Perth is not quite the same winter daytime sun. It gets just as cold at night in the other places - if not colder due to the lack of cloud cover.

I think Melbourne gets 4-5 hrs or something sun in the winter day, London gets 1.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:28 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There's an element of truth in this. Yes, it is 'cold' but I love my old wood burner, my life is complete. Just as it gets bad, winter ends. The weather takes a decided turn for the better in September.

The only actual difference between other places like Sydney or Perth is not quite the same winter daytime sun. It gets just as cold at night in the other places - if not colder due to the lack of cloud cover.

I think Melbourne gets 4-5 hrs or something sun in the winter day, London gets 1.
As its been said a few times.... let them grumble and we can sit back and enjoy

Oh how we have to suffer putting up with hot sweaty tradespeople
Attached Thumbnails The Melbourne thread-ozzie-workmen.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
As its been said a few times.... let them grumble and we can sit back and enjoy

Oh how we have to suffer putting up with hot sweaty tradespeople
Is that why John gets so excited whenever any tradies show up to do any work on our house There's me thinking its because they are lazy buggers and have 6 day weekends hence it is rare to see them
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I've been reading this thread and I'm getting soooo excited and we've got months and months and months to wait until someone even picks up our application. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We've been looking at property on the internet out around Williamstown, Altona, Newport, but we're going to rent for a while when we get there and go for a good look around.

We were there 9 years ago and stayed in Kensington which we found handy for getting into the City, but I think we want to go a little further out, but not too far. We want to be near enough to the CBD to take advantage of it. We live in the country at the moment, and are looking to get back into city life.

Dolly
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Hi , we are hoping to go to Melbourne and really pleased to find this thread and also jen jen who I know from Jan app . Hopefully be out there for end of the year.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sarah sharp
hello,
we are hoping to move to melbourne in the next 18 months and are very excited, want to go now but have things to organise.
i an an ot and need to be near a hospital but also close to coast. have 2 children 6 and 10 so somewhere good for families needed.
if anyone any idea where in melbourne fits would love to hear from you.
Head for Mornington you won't regret it! We haven't, its beautiful here, small town on the coast, hr from city some great schools esp if your prepared to pay! Kids love it.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:07 am
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
We are hoping to be going to Melbourne but not for awhile yet and there are a few on their way too.
Mandy
Hello Mandy

there's a few Geordies in Melbourne. But if you are from Co. durham does that not make you a mackem,

DO NOT USE IT'S GREEN CARD OR APPLE WHEN YOU GET HERE TO CALL THE UK. THEY RIP YOU OFF WITH THEIR 10 MINUTE MINIMUM CALL CHARGE
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Head for Mornington you won't regret it! We haven't, its beautiful here, small town on the coast, hr from city some great schools esp if your prepared to pay! Kids love it.
$14000+ a year for the fee schools but they do achieve excelent results
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:14 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Melbourne for 2 years, the first year in Williamstown, the second in Elsternwick. Loved them both, but Elsternwick has the edge for me.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by baconmaster
Hello Mandy

there's a few Geordies in Melbourne. But if you are from Co. durham does that not make you a mackem,

DO NOT USE IT'S GREEN CARD OR APPLE WHEN YOU GET HERE TO CALL THE UK. THEY RIP YOU OFF WITH THEIR 10 MINUTE MINIMUM CALL CHARGE

err hang on a bit....Im from Sedgefield which is in Co. Durham but Im certainly not a mackem
Up the Boro
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:18 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
$14000+ a year for the fee schools but they do achieve excelent results
How did you get a 50% discount
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thebears
How did you get a 50% discount

Hi, sorry my children do not go to The Peninsular school or Toorak which quote $14 595 as yearly school fees. I understand that if they sit an entrance scholarship exam then the fees are reduced by 50%. I must admit the shools have excellent results but I am afraid that these fees are too much for us to send both kids to private school. We are lucky that both children are doing well in state schools so are happy for them to go to Government co-ed. We could send them to private schools but then that would take away the purpose of us coming to Oz which was to have more family time and reduce the stress of work, both having to have high paid full time stressful jobs. We have not moved over yet but hope to by the end of this year. My family are in Melbourne and my cousin lives in Mornington. We hope to live in Mount Eliza. I have looked at Mount Eliza secondary and my Aunt has recommended Frankston High which has a great reputation. I hope to obtain a job in the CBD and went for casual chats last year (I am Chartered Surveyor and there are a couple of UK companies with offices in Melbourne), my husband hope's to get a part time local based job so he can spend more time with the children ( ex army so he has spent too much time away from them ). Do your children go to one of these schools?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:55 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as we have now been here four weeks ,I surpose i'd better add me and mine to this ere thread.:
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:20 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi, sorry my children do not go to The Peninsular school or Toorak which quote $14 595 as yearly school fees. I understand that if they sit an entrance scholarship exam then the fees are reduced by 50%. I must admit the shools have excellent results but I am afraid that these fees are too much for us to send both kids to private school. We are lucky that both children are doing well in state schools so are happy for them to go to Government co-ed. We could send them to private schools but then that would take away the purpose of us coming to Oz which was to have more family time and reduce the stress of work, both having to have high paid full time stressful jobs. We have not moved over yet but hope to by the end of this year. My family are in Melbourne and my cousin lives in Mornington. We hope to live in Mount Eliza. I have looked at Mount Eliza secondary and my Aunt has recommended Frankston High which has a great reputation. I hope to obtain a job in the CBD and went for casual chats last year (I am Chartered Surveyor and there are a couple of UK companies with offices in Melbourne), my husband hope's to get a part time local based job so he can spend more time with the children ( ex army so he has spent too much time away from them ). Do your children go to one of these schools?
St Catherines in Toorak - note this is not "Toorak college" in Mt Eliza.

PS the 50% was a joke currently the fees about $19K but we get a discount for second and third child.

Takes me 6 mins to drop off on the school run and then only 15 mins to work. Our move was for the school - but the work life balance has been a bonus.

I understand wanting to spend more time with the kids - coming from 90+ hours per week in UK to 60+ in Oz means I have more time with family too.
Watch the trap of commuting too far out of Melbourne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.